Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory Game Day - Planning

Default Wings of Glory Game Day - Planning

I've been working on some ideas for a game day for all the Ohio Wings of Glory players, something beyond the big shindig at Origins each year (which many of us cringe at paying their rather large admission rates). We have some many WoG players in Ohio it almost seems silly not to have something else to offer, something to bring all of us together and have a great time gaming and meeting other folks. And for those of you who don't live in Ohio but are interested, of course you are welcome as well!

Sunbury, Ohio (northeast of Columbus) is located about two hours or less from nearly all corners of the state. There is an American Legion hall there that is not too far from I-71 (less than ten minutes drive time) and that is within walking distance of food places. The hall also has a small kitchen we could use if we could find a crew to cook hot dogs or something. Adult beverages are allowed to be brought in, but we would need to make certain that the hall is as clean as we found it. Rental for a full day is $110.00. If we charged $5.00 per head we would need 22 gamers to break even. I would think with plenty of advanced notice and proper PR we should be able to beat that minimum break even number. I would suggest we use the hall from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., with games running anytime between 10 and 9. Gives us time to get there, set up, and then also to tear down and clean up.

There are hotels at the I-71 exit for those needing to spend a night or two. This map shows the location of the hall, restaurants, and the hotels:

Wings of War/Glory Game Day Map

I would like to think we can do this for not just one year, but every year. I would suggest that we do the following schedule to celebrate the centennial: 2015 - 1915 aircraft only , 2016 - 1916 aircraft only, etc., etc.

As I live in Cincinnati I would like to have someone more local "head-up" the event, which really means checking out the hall (I could drive up as well, with some advanced notice), checking out the local restaurants, and just making sure the on-site logistics will work for our needs. The rest of us can help out by letting our respective areas know about this event (once we decide we can do this and we decide on a date).

So, I am looking for someone local to assist and for all of us to think about which month we would like this to be held in. Also, are we able to find someone to round up a few door prizes for giveaways? We could give each attendee a raffle ticket, and additional tickets could be purchased which would help cover the hall rental costs.

Let's talk details!
    Darryl

im definitely in!!!!!!

im like the idea of doing scenarios based on dates but i dont know if id limit ALL the scenarios to the year of anniversary. people will surely be getting new a/c in the interim and will want to try them out.
    Last edited by milcoll73; 08-28-2014 at 03:31.

So are you planning on using non Ares planes?

Because its a short list for 1915, and 1916 will be bleak also.

Quote Originally Posted by kduke42 View Post
    So are you planning on using non Ares planes? Because its a short list for 1915, and 1916 will be bleak also.
    I agree that without non Ares models 1915 will be very thin but 1916 is not so bleak - there are 13 models you could use in that year, 4 Nexus & 9 Ares,
    Fokker E.III, Morane Saulnier N, Airco DH2, Nieuport 16, Nieuport 17, Roland C.II, Spad VII, Halberstadt D.III, Albatros D.II, RAF RE.8, Caproni Ca3, Albatros D.III, Sopwith Triplane.
    Though not all will be available or used at a given moment in that time over a day of gaming you could play through the year picking salient months to maximise types available.

This idea is great. You're right in that we need a Columbus local for contact.
    For food, we could make it a pot luck; we need to find out what cooking facilities are there, and if we could use any of the cookware (We'll need a KP crew then too )
    Hotdogs, chips, a cold veggie tray and desserts should do.
    As for the Centennial-themed event: hard for '15 but doable thereafter with non-WoG planes. There should also be side tables for other games too (have to keep the WW2 folks happy ).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Count me in as well! Just some rambling thoughts: Karl has a fantastic idea on the pot luck. I'd be more than willing to bring a crock pot full of sloppy joes along. The WW1 centennial idea has some merit, but perhaps leaving it open to more general WoG. There are a lot of us that are WGS fans. I would be happy to scout out locations. Even though I live in Lima, I have nephews in the Columbus area, (including one in Delaware). I was wondering if we get a firm commitment from out of town players who want to stay overnight, perhaps a hotel or two might give us a group rate? I would also recommend trying to keep the date of the shindig far enough away from Origins to allow pilots that go to both ample time to budget accordingly. Again, just throwing these out to see what sticks to the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep One View Post
    Count me in as well! Just some rambling thoughts: Karl has a fantastic idea on the pot luck. I'd be more than willing to bring a crock pot full of sloppy joes along. The WW1 centennial idea has some merit, but perhaps leaving it open to more general WoG. There are a lot of us that are WGS fans. I would be happy to scout out locations. Even though I live in Lima, I have nephews in the Columbus area, (including one in Delaware). I was wondering if we get a firm commitment from out of town players who want to stay overnight, perhaps a hotel or two might give us a group rate? I would also recommend trying to keep the date of the shindig far enough away from Origins to allow pilots that go to both ample time to budget accordingly. Again, just throwing these out to see what sticks to the wall!
    Randy;
    It looks like Darryl has a good location; just need a commitment of the flyers and a good date.
    So let's chime in, Ohio Squadron. Oh, and any cross-border folks that want to come, more than welcome
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by kduke42 View Post
    So are you planning on using non Ares planes?

Because its a short list for 1915, and 1916 will be bleak also.
    I think Shapeways planes, using the unofficial "official" stats, would be quite fine, yes? The 2015 - 1915 idea was just that, an idea. We can expand upon it if we do not think it will be a large enough draw. I think having WWII events is quite fine as well. Maybe we should "theme" each year with a few large events, and then allow folks to game whatever else they feel like.

I like it, Randy. Let me call the Legion Hall and see if perhaps you and I can meet there and visit (and anyone from the area who could serve as point man). As for food, the potluck is good, and there are pizza joints that I am sure deliver. And the group rate is a good idea. I for one would be staying two nights, just to cut down the driving.

Okay, let's talk about when. Yes, we need to stay away from Origins. Does that mean we go spring or next fall? I lean towards late fall as it would give us a lot of time to promote the event.

What about looking at mid November? That way, we miss Christmas season, plus any snow!

What about looking at mid November? That way, we miss Christmas season, plus any snow!
    we hope!!!!! it is ohio after all..........

And you've lived in Ohio how long?
    Karl

Maybe early November so we stay away from Thanksgiving as well? Let's call it the first Saturday in November. I'll check with the Hall to see if they are booked yet for then, and then plan on visiting the Hall to see if it meets our needs for tables and space.

Hello Darryl,
    This looks pretty good. Where are you at with it? We should get together and talk more about it. Send me a pm.

Thomas

Still in the planning stages. I have yet to call the hall to arrange an onsite visit as I was hoping that someone near C-bus would chime in about wanting to help with the event as well as visit the hall.

Also talked with my buddies yesterday and have some good ideas about how we should/could run games.

Darryl

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

My wife's family is from the Cleveland area, and we travel the I-71 or I-675/70/71 route fairly often. Sunbury is a fairly easy target - it takes us 2+ hours from Springboro (depending on traffic issues), so it's not a bad trip. Sunbury is also where we meet my in-laws to "exchange" our sons when they're visiting the grandparents and we don't want to go the whole way - there's a Cracker Barrel there that is our regular meeting spot (about 3/4 mile off of 71).

I would certainly be interested in how this idea develops!

All the best,
    Harry

Early November is when HMGS holds Cold Wars. Not sure how many from your area go but it is a fairly large con and could draw a few away.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Early November is when HMGS holds Cold Wars. Not sure how many from your area go but it is a fairly large con and could draw a few away.
    Cold Wars is always on my want-to list, but I can never seem to make it.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Cold Wars is always on my want-to list, but I can never seem to make it.
    Karl
    Karl, if you do ever plan on going let me know so we can coordinate running a game or two or three.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Karl, if you do ever plan on going let me know so we can coordinate running a game or two or three.
    Sound good; lets see what next years brings.
    Cold Wars, Historicon and Fall In all take place in Lancaster PA, right?
    Karl

BigDuke

Just saw this thread. I live about 15 minutes from the locale you are discussing. I can help check things out. PM me.

I think early November would be great. I would recommend we stay away from the same weekend as an OSU home game for the sake of traffic (and police scrutiny on the roads) and especially motel space and cost.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Ohio State plays Illinois on the 1st of November at 8pm - they are away on the 8th and 15th, so perhaps the second or third Saturday would work better than the first...?

All the best,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
    Just saw this thread. I live about 15 minutes from the locale you are discussing. I can help check things out. PM me.

I think early November would be great. I would recommend we stay away from the same weekend as an OSU home game for the sake of traffic (and police scrutiny on the roads) and especially motel space and cost.
    With the proposed site, traffic shouldn't be that big a deal. And with it being no more than 2.5 hours away for almost anyone in Ohio, it should be an easy daytrip.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    My wife's family is from the Cleveland area, and we travel the I-71 or I-675/70/71 route fairly often. Sunbury is a fairly easy target - it takes us 2+ hours from Springboro (depending on traffic issues), so it's not a bad trip. Sunbury is also where we meet my in-laws to "exchange" our sons when they're visiting the grandparents and we don't want to go the whole way - there's a Cracker Barrel there that is our regular meeting spot (about 3/4 mile off of 71).

I would certainly be interested in how this idea develops!

All the best,
    Harry
    Still working on it! I've reached out to Big Duke to see if he can help as he is in the area and might be able to check the place out for us.

Darryl

Guys, we are looking at 2015 for this game day, not this year. Far too late to try to put this together, promote it, and expect a good turnout. But if we can nail down a date and place for 2015, we can spread the word everywhere and make certain we have all the ducks lined up!

Reviving this idea, but using the hobby shop the Wright Flight uses each month (near Dayton).

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/en...-Ohio-Game-Day

Similar Missions

1. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  2. Wings of Glory Participation Game
    By Stephen Webb in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 01:35
  3. Wings of Glory - First Game
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 05:14
  4. Wings of War and Glory - It Was Not a Game, Rome 09/10/11