Ares Games

Thread: Battle Ships anyone?

disposingjayce

Default Battle Ships anyone?

Hey everybody,
    I was thinking of making some WW1 style Battle Ships in 3ds max to print out on my 3d printer for use in custom missions where the map contains the coast. Like sink the fleet to win and not get shot down in the process by the other planes or the ships themselves. Does that sound interesting to anyone or should I just not invest the time into something like this?

Thanks,
    -Jason

It seems interesting Jason. You could go with other options too, like papermodels. But the idea is great.
    Thanks

Nick

YES!!!!

Would love some freighters as well!

It sounds like an interesting idea.

Would love some waterline WW1 subs!

Exclamation

There are some great images for both WW1 & WW1 available at very low prices from Topside Minis.
    Do check them out.
    I got a free sample from them & its excellent.
    Intend to get all the Carriers for Midway plus a selection of Destroyers & Cruisers.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenji
    Sorties Flown

Have you heard of topsideminis.com?

They sell WW1 and WW2 warships in 2 format. Very good quality and relatively low priced.

They will even ship you a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    There are some great images for both WW1 & WW1 available at very low prices from Topside Minis.
    Do check them out.
    I got a free sample from them & its excellent.
    Intend to get all the Carriers for Midway plus a selection of Destroyers & Cruisers.
    Hi Barry. Yes I have a set from Topside but, at present, they don't have any WW1 subs in their range. I did email them with that request and got a 'watch this space' reply. They are excellent, though I didn't bother to mount them on the providded laser-cut bases

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

I suggest you check out the British M-Class submarines...especially the "M2""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_M2

disposingjayce

So I take that as a yes to ships. okay i'll put those on the list to start making once i finish my Death Star surface tiles for X-Wing.

disposingjayce

well i went to Topsideminis.com and picked up the 1914 WW1 falkland island battle set. Now to start researching the ships and looking for blue prints on-line so I can build them in 3ds Max. I've never made a boat before but how hard can it be. lol I think I'll start off with the HMS Invincible and see how that comes out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

What scale will you be using for the ship miniatures? The 'standard' sizes for wargaming are 1:1200. 1:1250 and !: 2400.
    I'd also be interested in which planes you might consider for the bombers. They have to be pretty big to carry ordinance capable of more that chasing crew off the open desks and scorching paint.

Naval aircraft were in their infancy then. Many larger Royal Navy ships (with a few exceptional experimental types) carried a Pup or two to chase off German reconnaissance zeppelins. You may want to look into the HMS Furious.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Would love some waterline WW1 subs!
    +1 and a Felixstowe to "entertain" them

[QUOTE=Grey;305506]
    I'd also be interested in which planes you might consider for the bombers. They have to be pretty big to carry ordinance capable of more that chasing crew off the open desks and scorching paint.
    QUOTE]

From what I came up with when researching my Origins game this year was that there were no AP bombs for use against ships in WW1. One reason they went with torpedoes.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Clipper Ships.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 15:18
  2. Multiplayer: of ships and submarines
    By Biggles downunder in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 01:43
  3. AA fire from ships
    By tikkifriend in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6