Ares Games

Thread: OTT The early days Mission 4 We are done!(Verdun)

Default OTT The early days Mission 4 We are done!(Verdun)

Flinch and Gresham took off as the first light of dawn appeared over the horizon. Garret and Jameson were already ahead of them in the 2 seater recon. After 30 mins of steady flight Jameson set off a flare, the signal that the target had been reached. Looking around all Jonty in his Spad could se below was a solid bank of fog, but ahead 3 balloons loomed .The centre one had flames around its fins and the other 2 looked to be damaged as well. Glancing then to his starboard he saw the silhouette of 2 enemy planes rapidly approaching the RFC flight.

Within seconds the Germans were upon them. Jonty broke formation to the left, narrowly missing Splitbergers shark Roland, as does Garnet recon plane with Westphals Blue Roland. Flinch opened up on the flaming balloon but the first rounds went wildly off target (0).

Garnett, distracted by his near miss with Westphal almost becomes entangled in the balloons cabling as he passes beneath it (0) (0) for balloon.

Jonty Immells to take on the pursuing Roland of Splitberger..Split fires first, his rounds hitting the starboard wing of the Spad (2) , knocking Gresham aim off completely (0) before cutting tight in on Jontys tail.

Flinch by now has managed to get on the tail of the 2nd Roland but is out of range for a shot.

The thinning fog below by now had lifted. Jameson scanned quickly below looking for the landmarks that identified their recon target, the forward HQ. Tapping his pilot on the right shoulder Garnet responded and banked Starboard.

A second fire erupted in the central balloon, lighting up the clearing skies Flinch tries to gain on his target while Jonty pulls a loop to get away from his opponent. Splits almost catches the Spad as it comes out of its loop but Gresham has the edge and his short burst results in a plume of smoke pouring from the Roland’s engine. (2,1+smoke) Both pilots break away from each other.

Westphal and Flinch were almost head to head, both holding fire until the last possible second with devastating results. Oil covers Flinches goggles and smoke envelopes the cockpit (3, 2+smoke)

.Westphals rudder goes limp and the smell of burning oil and fuel fills his nostrils. (2+fire, 2+RRD)
    With fog cleared the troops began to take an interest in the aerial combat taking pot shots at the Allied aircraft.
    The Nieuport was the first to be hit (RRD) followed by the Spad (LRD) Flinch Immells while Gresham banks right Garnet concentrates on getting his crate lined up for his observer to take the necessary photos .

Westphal weaves about the sky as the flames lick round the cowling , threatening to run down the fuselage towards him.

Jameson gives the thumbs up to Garnet to head for home, who after seeing the flash of the artillery muzzles below him is more than happy to oblige. The first salvos explode harmlessly behind their plane. Unable to resist Garret fires at the nearest balloon Jamming his guns after only a few seconds of fire .
    The trenches take their toll on Flinch, whose engine catches alight after a bullet cuts his fuel line Garnet turns his plane for home but has to get by the Rolands who are still buzzing around the sky ahead of them.

With a sideslip Flinch drops right on the tail of Splits but with all the smoke and flames his aim is shaky (0,1) he gets a second chance before his guns jam, but sees Splits slump to his left as a bullet hits his upper torso (0+GJ, 1+pilot)

Jonty follows up but jams his gun , but not before removing a section of the Rolands upper tail. (1+LRJ, 0+GJ

A raking burst from Westphal rips a hole in Garrets crate (4) and a bullet from the trenches penetrates the fuselage hitting Garret in the foot (5+Pilot) , another puncturing the oil pump (4+smoke)

With his fire out Westphal goes on the hunt for the recon plane but crosses the path of the rear gunner Jameson who peppers the Roland’s rudder (0,2+RRD) Flinch makes a bolt for home banking and side slipping his Nieuport in an attempt to beat back the advancing flames. Jameson hits the blue Roland in a succession of bursts but inflicts minimal damage (0,0,1)
    Spits regains control of his circling plane and sees the Spad tailing him, guns cleared. But Jonty is wary of going back over enemy territory and banks right following his fellow pilots home.

Finch powers on in the Nieuport losing height in an attempt to pancake his fire ravaged plane (12pts damage) and hits a ploughed field some 3 miles inside his own lines.

Westphal sees his wingman head for home , but the Spad ahead of him is a tempting target, but not knowing the extent of damage inflicted by the fire he too turns for home., the sound of a final shot from Gresham ringing in his ears. (0)

Result

RFC

HQ identified and photo taken.

Ltn Finch. Crash-landed due to fire damage. AI (Role please Dave )
    2nd Ltn Gresham. RTB .Flown by me
    2nd Ltn Garnet. pilot Wounded, RTB.AI (Role again please Dave )
    Sgt Jameson RTB Observer

Germans.

North balloon 15 pts damage
    South balloon 18 pts damage
    Mid balloon on fire total of 19pts damage.

Ltn Westphal RTB AI
    Ltn Splitberger Wounded RTB AI

Total game length 8 turns.
    Boy were those troops in the trenches on top form Most of the damage and the pilot wound was courtesy of them. The AA didn't play much of a role in my game as the recon plane was only in the AA zone for 1 turn. With all the damage the ground troops were dishing out there was no way Gresham was going in for the kill on the balloons.

A very nice scenario Ryan Well thought out and a whole lot of fun to play.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Excellent AAR and pictures, Paul.

Thanks Joaquim .

Every one is different, another corker there Paul. Ryan has done tops with this one and it can be played again too. Well done again for a thrilling AAR Paul.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Another thrilling AAR with Fire, smoke & general mayhem!

Like you Paul my lads suffered from the Trench Fire.
    Maybe an idea if we play this again is to strafe the trenches on the way over?

I noticed you did not use the 4th Allied plane to fly along the Balloon line as indicated in the Scenario.

V er dun
    Well played Paul, that ground fire was punishing for your chaps but you got the job done !
    Good news on the casualty front:

Lt Finch: FLM FT / 0 Kills. Rolled 5 -2 = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 2 (slightly singed!)

2Lt Garnet: RTB / WIA / 0 Kills. Rolled 11 +3RTB -1WIA = 13 All well when you land well (a mere scratch!)

Ltn Splitberger: RTB / WIA / 0 Kills. Rolled 7 +3RTB -1WIA = 9 All well when you land well (a flesh wound !)

I've added a few more Jerries to your roster - a scout pilot & a crew.

Great AAR Paul - your boys had the same trouble with ground fire as my lads I like Baz's idea of straffing the trenches on the way over when I play this again, although the fog may make that difficult to accomplish before they can pepper me with rifle-fire

Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Another thrilling AAR with Fire, smoke & general mayhem!

Like you Paul my lads suffered from the Trench Fire.
    Maybe an idea if we play this again is to strafe the trenches on the way over?

I noticed you did not use the 4th Allied plane to fly along the Balloon line as indicated in the Scenario.
    Got me there Baz. To tell the truth I was so caught up in trying to survive the trench fire I forgot about it and the German 2 seater , so I guess that evens it up.

Trench strafing , good idea :Thumbsup:

Wizard show old chap, but weren't those Hun's naughty. 10 of 'em to your lads two.
    Need a bit of gun re alignment before the next show.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great AAR Paul. I agree, those infantry in the trenches can shoot! I didn't even think about shooting at them, just wanted to get back to friendly lines!

A great AAR Paul, this mission certainly gives lots to think about and those trenches are certainly dangerous ground, thanks.

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916
    By rkwright in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 19:20
  2. AAR OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 9 April 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 16:25
  3. AAR OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10