Ares Games

Thread: Pour me a new Sopwith Tripe wing? Can I?

Default Pour me a new Sopwith Tripe wing? Can I?

I found a half dozen Ares Sopwith Triplanes lingering in the box of rejects awaiting wing strut replacement. Kinda tricky operation, but . . . what if I could make a wing with the right length struts?

First to clip off the top wing and cut the strut stubs on the middle wing flush . . .

Spruce strut stubs added to the right length and angle, well glued in place. Now to make a mold . . .

This seems important to watch, Dave. The triplanes are well... not good as they are...

This does look interesting Dave, as I have never touched my Tripes since they arrived.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Still have mine to do, so watching with interest

Hey Chris (Boney10): something for you here!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Poured the mold top and bottom, today after work I will pour the first effort! Note all the extras I will pour at the same time, those clever elves!

Talking of things pouring Dave.
    After the pouring rain I arrived home to find your Latecoer posted through my mail box. First thanks very much for the smashing model, and second thanks for the additional surprise.
    As soon as I get the Italian fleet finished I'll see if I can do those beauties justice.
    rob.

Mmmm... Show us the surprise, Rob!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Mmmm... Show us the surprise, Rob!!
    Wilco that as soon as I get chance to paint it up.
    Rob.

First one out of the mold, works for me! Let me know if you would like to try them too!

Now to pour some more and get them into the paint shop - the black squadron is finally getting its planes!

Works for me Dave.
    Very nice.
    For the ultimate accolade you will have to wait for Boney10's vote though.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Has anyone successfully recovered their ARES Triplanes? If you cut the top wing off is it too badly distorted to reuse or does it self straighten to some degree once it's cut free! Such a shame they made such an almighty mess-up with this model.

This may be of interest Tim.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...lanes+top+wing

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Rob,

A big thank you. I used the search feature but failed to come across this thread. That's more planes to buy! Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Has anyone successfully recovered their ARES Triplanes? If you cut the top wing off is it too badly distorted to reuse or does it self straighten to some degree once it's cut free! Such a shame they made such an almighty mess-up with this model.
    Yes,yes & yes !
    I used Boney's method and struts - fiddly but worked out fine in the end. Must get around to getting the other two some day, it's a fine model but the botch put me off of buying more than one. Sparky's method on the other thread looks promising.

Well
    I have repaired all three of mine, still in therapy though how these actually got released with the name of a Sopwith a Triplane,
    I have never come across such a botch, they are.. Hang on my therapist is shaking his head.
    Nice ones Clipper, bye the way.
    I do have some spare struts, but the mass production I hoped to do didn't work, they need to be attached to get the angle correct.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Thanks again. I've ordered mine. I know it'll be a challenge to correct them but hopefully worth doing. Now to research which unit to do. Probably not the Black Flight.

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Triplane top wing?
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 11:26
  2. WGF Reviresco Sopwith Triplane/Tripe
    By freebird-52 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 20:13
  3. Sopwith Tripe in WFS or GFS?
    By Super Handley in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 10