Ares Games

Thread: Top Views for Cards

Default Top Views for Cards

One of the challenges of using non-standard aircraft is procuring cards for them. (I'm not talking about maneuver decks and damage decks...that's a well-worn topic. Just the airplane cards.) And one of the challenges in making such a card must be obtaining a good, top-down view of the plane without violating copyright.

But I can generate one of those fairly trivially -- at least for my own models -- and it'll be completely free of copyright problems. I won't try to do the camouflage or backgrounds (unless someone has a good, color, copyright-free image of the countryside over the front); and I'll leave the plane statistics to the appropriate committee; but I can at least provide images like the one below.

So...questions:
    1. Would this be useful?
    2. If so, what would be the best place to store them?
    3. What size (resolution)?

Thanks!
    RAF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopOrtho.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	141098
    Anatra DS

Awesome!
    Put them in an album, and make it public so I can get them.
    About 300ppi would be good. Exactly what I would use to produce a card.

I will take care of everything else (color schemes, markings, backgrounds). Check my albums to see what I've done. Getting a decent top-down line drawing is the toughest part of the job, so having a Forum source is fantastic.

Mike
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mike,
    I figured you would respond. :-) I'll look into an album and fill it out as I get time.
    In case anyone else is interested, these are pretty easy to produce, given the 3D model. In Blender, I assign the model a material with "Toon" specular shading and no diffuse lighting; position a light source and orthographic camera above the model; and turn on "Edge" post-processing for the render. You might have to play with the parameters to get what you want, but it's pretty easy. I'm sure other 3D programs have similar functions.

Daryl,
    Could you make the control surfaces more pronounced? Ailerons and elevators? That would be most helpful in doing the planes.

I use a transparent outline, with only the formers and structure lines as a (near) top layer. This give the "panel" lines to the plane. The WWII planes especially, but wing formers are something people expect to see in WWI planes. Actually, the bottom layer is the background, then firing arcs, then the base color for the plane (using an outline shape of the plane as a mask, in: Clear doped linen; PC10; Red; Lozenge Camo patterns; etc...), then individual pilot markings, Roundels, engines, cockpits, then the line drawing, with a final top layer of shading for the light and 3D effect.

It is amazing how different the image looks without that final shading layer. However, it is nearly impossible to do it, without a good line drawing of the wings. At the scale of a card, I can sometimes not shade the ailerons and rudder, depending on the quality of the line drawing.

Your sample drawing is nearly perfect.

Example:
    Morane-Saulnier BB drawing I started with (the only line drawing anyone could find!):

Name:	Morane_Saulnier_BB.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	141106
    Note: the drawing is from above, but in the tail-dragging attitude, not level!

The top-down picture I used to assist with building a decent line drawing:

Name:	Moraine Saulnier <acronym title=BB DSCF3121.jpg  Views: 167  Size: 110.0 KB  ID: 141107" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The cobbled-together line drawing that I used for the card:

Name:	Moraine Saulnier <acronym title=BB Outlines.png  Views: 168  Size: 61.8 KB  ID: 141108" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

That the finished card looks any good at all is from desperation:

Name:	M-S <acronym title=BB 60Sqn Summers Lines.png  Views: 168  Size: 709.8 KB  ID: 141109" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Note: I used the photo to do the wing-former shading, as the drawing was no help at all.

If you could do better than that, I'd be able to do much better cards.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-20-2014 at 23:21.
    Mike

LOOP

I have seen * on G-decks. What does this mean? No Immelmann perhaps?

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    I have seen * on G-decks. What does this mean? No Immelmann perhaps?
    See you on the Dark Side......

That is a very handsome offer Daryl, and may take a bit of pressure off Mike as well.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Awesome the way people work in team at this home.

Daryl,
    First try at using your sample image:

Name:	TopOrthoLines.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	141121

I would like to have lots better resolution, and more contrast in the drawing.

I eliminate the background color with the Background Erase tool, and used to separately erase every section of a drawing to make it a transparent line image. I learned about using the Blending Options to eliminate any white and grey colors, leaving the black and dark grey lines. The Blend option reduces minutes to hours of work to a quick slider adjustment (seconds), but only if there is enough contrast on the original drawing.

Your sample was tones of grey, and where very faded, won't blend well. Which means I need to learn more about Photoshop, I guess.

I also used the Brightness/Contrast adjustment to extreme dark and max contrast to get the above image.
    Mike

Thanks Daryl! More cards, more fun! Im glad to know that know we have three artists making cards for us. Make them public, please.
    Thanks

Nick

Daryl,
    Example of another drawing, anyone need a card for a S-S D.I?

Name:	SSW_D1 Lines.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	141124
    Same process with this image, but it will have to be fixed to get rid of the crosses on the wings. Some drawings have dotted fuselage and/or lower wing outlines that need to be removed, too. This one didn't.
    Source: Flyingmachines.ru - SSW D1
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Daryl,
    Example of another drawing, anyone need a card for a S-S D.I?
    I have some SS DIs. A card would be great. Wish I knew Photoshop, I'd love to make cards for all the Shapeways planes ARES doesn't do. (yet)

Peter,
    Are the planes in an album, or do you have pictures you could post? Perhaps start a SSW D.I "Official Paint" Thread?

Name:	SSW_D1 Work.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	141141
    Quick and dirty. Crosses need work, and there is no shading layers, yet.
    Not a SS D.I scheme, but a SS D.III scheme for Kest 4b.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-21-2014 at 12:36.
    Mike

Or this one?

Name:	SSW_D1 Jasta5 Hunerbein.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	141142
    Camo scheme for SSW.D.1 3761/16
    Hptm. Hans von Hunerbein
    Jasta 5, Boistrancourt Airfield, April 1917
    Thanks to Dan-San Abbott for providing the color scheme documentation for me.
    Source: www.bealmear.com - Siemens-Schuckart
    Mike

Those S.S. look great! Thanks Mike.

Wow, nice. Love the red one. Sorry but mine are in process at the moment. I might have them finished next weekend. I might have to do one up like your first photo.

Peter,
    Once you finish your models, post a top-down picture, and I will do cards.
    Mike

Sure thing.

Any other planes you thinking of doing? Planes I have to paint not yet releases by ARES... Albatross DIs, Fokker DII, Fokker DV, LVG CV, Morane Saulnier P, Sopwith Pup, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter one and two seaters. When these are done (most likely before) I will definitely get more Shapeways of planes not done by ARES.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-21-2014 at 16:24.

Check my albums for these. I have done one LVG C.V, and I did some Sopwith 1 1/2 strutters. So, I have templates for them.
    Mike

Great. I haven't looked lately but have a lot of older cards that don't always match the 'Unofficial' plane stats (non Nexus/ARES) our hard working commitee figures out.
    I'll go through yours, thanks.

Just went through your albumns, very nice. According to the latest 'Unofficial' stats the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter uses the K deck, B/B and 14 for 2 seater, K, B, 14 for single seater.
    For the LVG CV they have movement deck J, B/B 16.

I'll work on at least one each of all the planes I have without cards. For all the great work you've done you will be rewarded.... with more work!

"No good deed goes unpunished."
    Mike

I can render them with a transparent background. But not foreground -- but that's easy to delete in Photoshop with "Select Color Range..Delete" on the non-background layer. As for emphasizing the control surfaces; I'll experiment with different settings and see. If all else fails a little post processing by hand is always possible. As to resolution, it's easy for me to produce them at any given resolution... that's just a couple settings in the program; though I think 800 or 1000 pixels is the site limit. That one on the original post was just a sample to give a better idea of what I was going on about.

I've created a new personal album for these and posted a new version of the Anatra DS in there at 800x600 with higher contrast and (hopefully) transparent background. I'll wait for feedback before adding some more, in case changes are needed.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 08-21-2014 at 20:07. Reason: new album

And this is what I can do with your efforts, Daryl:

Name:	AnatraDS Poland1.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	640.3 KB 
ID:	141244

[Edit: I plead dyslexia or all the Polish sites I visited looking for a squadron or crew for this card!]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-23-2014 at 08:33. Reason: Fix spelling error on card
    Mike

Nice card Mike. Err... typo alert (unknown)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Daryl,
    Proof of concept performed. Your drawings are very usable for cards.

Now what? Do you want to post drawings for card production? Do you need specific cards?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ... According to the latest 'Unofficial' stats the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter uses the K deck, B/B and 14 for 2 seater, K, B, 14 for single seater.
    For the LVG CV they have movement deck J, B/B 16.
    Peter,
    I knew I had to fix the Strutters, so that is now done. The LVG CVs have the stats above.

If you'd like cards for planes, I can do them, but to do them, i would need a top-down photo, the unit and crew (if known). Then, with a top-down drawing, I can copy your color scheme and produce a card fairly easily.
    Mike

Wow, Mike, that's one sweet card! I'll add more top-orthographic views to my album for use in these endeavors. As noted in the Album, I've marked them as public domain (and I generated them, so I have that right). I don't need any particular card immediately; I think it's just good to add to the number and types of planes we have to choose from.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 08-23-2014 at 09:46.

Enjoying your work guys. Well done!

And just for completeness, the SSW D.I:

Name:	SSW_D1 Jasta5 Hunerbein Card.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	141249
    Mike

Peter,
    Watching your line drawings stacking up.

Do you have units and crews?
    Mike

[Edit: I plead dyslexia or all the Polish sites I visited looking for a squadron or crew for this card!]
    Dyslexia Rules K.U.
    Rob.

Ok, all my topviews are in the album, including balloons. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3067 Just consider them a resource for card-makers, to use as you like.

That is very good of you Daryl.
    Thanks for making these available to us.
    Rob.

Great Daryl! Thanks for doing them.

Nick

Daryl,
    As requested.

Name:	Martinsyde S1_6SqnStrangeCard.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	141500

The stats are my estimate, and not from the Unofficial Stats Committee
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-27-2014 at 10:57.
    Mike

Thanks, Mike; that's a wonderful "Strange card"! Nice job on the shading -- is that all done "by eye"?

All my shading is done "by eye". I probably should learn about the perspective grid.
    Mike

Peter,
    Watching your line drawings stacking up.

Do you have units and crews?
    I've only found some photos and color plates for SSW DI. Might have one finished tomorrow, if not then Friday night.

I've only found some photos and color plates for SSW DI. Might have one finished tomorrow, if not then Friday night.
    Peter,
    Post the plane info? Could be a card will magically appear?
    Mike

Another great card Mike.
    Personally I like the hand shading. it gives a personal touch which somehow seems in keeping with WWI illustration.
    Rob.

Peter,
    Post the plane info? Could be a card will magically appear?
    Ok Mike, two SSW DIs in the Official Seimens Schuckert painting thread. I have a top down of each for you to pick from. If you need a better or different shot let me know.

From the latest 'Unofficial' list it is an E maneuver deck, B gun, 13 damage points.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-29-2014 at 07:15.

Ok Mike, two SSW DIs in the Official Seimens Schuckert painting thread. I have a top down of each for you to pick from. If you need a better or different shot let me know.

From the latest 'Unofficial' list it is an E maneuver deck, B gun, 13 damage points.
    See the attempt here: Official Siemens-Schuckert Painting Thread
    Mike

Great cards Mike. I'll order a few more Shapeways from the top down list that are not yet covered. By the time I get them I'll be in Britain for 2 weeks so probably won't have any new ones done till October.

Daryl,
    A side-by-side of the two versions:

Name:	Martinsyde S1_6SqnStrangeCard.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	141981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martinsyde S1_6SqnStrangeCardV2.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	141982

I dropped the fill levels of the shading in the second version, as the heavy lines are not there to balance the heavy handed shading.

Yeah. I like the second version better. A little less cartoony, IMHO.
    Mike

I like the subtle version too, Mike! I'll redo the images in my album as I get time. For the benefit of other modelers, I'm now doing an orthographic rendering with "edging" turned on and cartoon shading at 1600x1200; then I tweak it a little to emphasize control surfaces and reduce to 800x600.

Well done all of you, excellent work

Similar Missions

1. WGF: New Ares planes, 3D views. Series 7?
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 273
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 13:55
  2. Another source of colour 3-views
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-18-2013, 02:57
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 11:08
  4. Tripe and Hanriot top and side views - where?
    By Bruce in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 16:20
  5. 3 Views of WWII Naval Ships
    By rkhlegacy in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 20:42