Ares Games

Thread: Duck Shooting Malta Style.

Default Duck Shooting Malta Style.

or bring on the sub. in which we are introduced to the boys of the Air.Sea.Rescue.

The Walrus was just completing its last sweep of the night. It had been totally uneventful, unless the crew counted being vectored in by Malta Radar to attack a small convoy, which turned out to be a chain of islands. Lt. Cdr. John Cowley was about to call it when his Navigator Sub Lt. John Askwith drew his attention to a darker grey streak with an iridescent tail in the water below them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5400.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	140966

Banking the aircraft, and approaching out of the dawn sky, Cowley soon made it out to be a surfaced submarine ploughing its way towards the Gozo Chanel. Without more ado he instructed his Navigator to prepare for a Depth Charge run.

Name:	DSC_5401.jpg 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	140967

As they moved in to attack, the enemy showed that they were not unready by putting up a barrage from the forrard deck gun followed by machine gun fire from the Bridge.

Name:	DSC_5402.jpg 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	140968

Too late to dive, they were then straddled by four depth charges, which succeeded in damaging the hydroplanes sufficiently to prevent the sub from submerging.

Name:	DSC_5403.jpg 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	140969

Swinging away, Cowley's radio operator radioed in a message to "Hot dog" informing them of the position of the sub, before heading back to the island as they were getting low on fuel.

Name:	DSC_5404.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	140970

It was not long before 852 Sq. Swordfish A flight were in the vicinity and receiving long range fire from the Italian sub now moving towards open water in an attempt to return to Sicily.

Name:	DSC_5413.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	140971

Leading his Flight in an arc around the sub to get the best angle of attack. Lt. Cdr. John Cunningham switched on his R.T.

"Dean, John, swing into line astern of me for the run in."
    "Wilco that sir." was the response from Lt. John Hawkmoore, and PMs Dean Reynolds,
    With no more ado, Cunningham banked and dived towards the submarine, followed closely by his two wingmen.

Name:	DSC_5414.jpg 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	140972

As they dived both fore and aft deck guns now opened up on the slow moving Stringbags, but without any initial success.

Name:	DSC_5416.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	140973

Levelling out Cunningham steadied his aircraft despite the hail of incoming machine gun bullets which were now peppering his wings.

"Torps away pilot." came the voice of Lt. Brian Woodward over the intercom.

Name:	DSC_5417.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	140974

no need for that info, as the Swordfish rose upward as the weight was released.
    "Torps running true" came the voice of the Navigator a minute later.

Name:	DSC_5420.jpg 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	140975

Name:	DSC_5423.jpg 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	140977

Followed by the gleeful cry "A hit." as they banked away from the frenzied AA and small arms fire of the sub, which had damaged his ailerons.

Name:	DSC_5421.jpg 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	140976

Name:	DSC_5425.jpg 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	140979

The AA now concentrated on "Hawkmoore" as he made his run.

Name:	DSC_5424.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	140978

Not as lucky as his leader, he took a near miss to the port wing which damaged his upper wing as a piece of shrapnel tore through the fabric, before he even reached the target.

Undeterred he got his own Torpedo away.

Name:	DSC_5426.jpg 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	140980

As he banked to follow Cunningham, Another round from the forrard gun exploded close by and this time did much more serious damage to his rudder. John found his steering almost impossible to control.

Name:	DSC_5428.jpg 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	140982

To add insult to injury the torpedo failed to explode.

Name:	DSC_5429.jpg 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	140983

He now took a direct hit in his engine which slowed down his escape.

Name:	DSC_5430.jpg 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	140984

Fire was now split between him and "Deano" as he made his run in.

Name:	DSC_5432.jpg 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	140985

Releasing his torp, "Deano" immediately came under fire, taking a slight hit to his wing struts from shrapnel.
    Before he could bank away another near miss damaged his engine causing it to smoke furiously.

Name:	DSC_5434.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	140986

Nevertheless, his torpedo was dead on course.

Name:	DSC_5427.jpg 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	140981

As he finally managed to bank away his torpedo struck the submarine amidships just abaft the conning tower sending a geyser of spray into the sky and holing one of the ballast tanks.

Name:	DSC_5435.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	140987

Even with the fire continuing to burn on the after deck, this was not enough to sink the sub, and if anything its return fire got even more furious.

Name:	DSC_5441.jpg 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	140993

Name:	DSC_5436.jpg 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	140988

Slipping away between two more AA bursts, "Deno" followed his wingmen away from the damaged Italian vessel.

Name:	DSC_5437.jpg 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	140989

Name:	DSC_5438.jpg 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	140990

As the Swordfish ran for home "Deno" was the only machine still in range of the sub.

Name:	DSC_5439.jpg 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	140991

Name:	DSC_5440.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	140992

His smoke damage got worse but before it could turn to fire, another burst of fire from the Subs Forrard deck gun exploded under his tail section.

Name:	DSC_5442.jpg 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	140994

Without any control remaining the Stringbag flopped onto the surface of the sea, aquaplaned for several yards, and then settled by the stern.

Name:	DSC_5443.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	140995

As the crews dinghy inflated, the Cavalry arrived on the scene in the form of a Short Sunderland Flying boat.

Name:	DSC_5445.jpg 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	140996

Watching the sub continue to burn,

Name:	DSC_5449.jpg 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	141000

the Sunderland homed in on the Stricken submarine, at a height which shrugged off their attempts to damage it.

Name:	DSC_5446.jpg 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	140997

Name:	DSC_5447.jpg 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	140998

Name:	DSC_5448.jpg 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	140999

The Sunderland then delivered its full load of bombs.

Name:	DSC_5450.jpg 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	141001

As it swept overhead the aft deck gun scored a lucky hit, doing a moderate amount of damage to the Sunderland's belly.

Name:	DSC_5451.jpg 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	141002

In return the Flyingboat's bombs bracketed the sub, breaking its back in the concussive pressure wave generated.

Name:	DSC_5452.jpg 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	141003

Now dead in the water, and with fires breaking out throughout the ship, the gunners stuck to their task.

Name:	DSC_5454.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	141005

Name:	DSC_5453.jpg 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	141004

Another explosion hammered the port wing, as the Sunderland tried to escape the flack being directed against it.

Name:	DSC_5455.jpg 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	141006

Name:	DSC_5456.jpg 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	141007

As the submarine continued to burn, the Forrard gun crew were finally forced to abandon their position due to the encroaching flames.

Name:	DSC_5457.jpg 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	141008

This did not however prevent the aft gunners setting fire to the Sunderland with their very last shot.

Name:	DSC_5458.jpg 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	141009

Even as the Sunderland's Observer turned his extinguisher onto the fire,
    The Italian vessel gave a last shudder and turned turtle. Filling rapidly with water, its stern rose up in what seemed like a last gesture of defiance, before disappearing forever amid a widening slick of oil into the deeps of the Mediterranean sea.

Name:	DSC_5460.jpg 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	141010

Half an hour later when the R.A.F. Air Sea Rescue Launch arrived from Kalafrana no sign of the sub was left save an abundance of flotsam and a life raft with the crew members in it.

Name:	DSC_5462.jpg 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	141011

Thus it was that the Fleet Air Arm struck the first offensive blow in the siege of Malta.

The Butcher's Bill.

852 Sq. F.A.A. The Bulldogs.

Name:	DSC_5464.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	141013

Lt Cdr. John Cunningham R.T.B.
    Lt. John Hawkmoore. R.T.B.
    PO. Dean Reynolds SD.S.
    Ms. George Farmer SD.S.
    Sub Lt. Brian Woodward. SD.S.
    Lt Cdr John Cowley and crew. of the Walrus. RTB. No damage.

Name:	DSC_5465.jpg 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	141014

Lt Cdr, James Nasmith, Lt. Richard Makepeace And crew of the Sunderland RTB.
    Fire extinguished.

Regia Marina.

Name:	DSC_5463.jpg 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	141012

One submarine sunk, many of the crew rescued by Air Sea Rescue Launch and interned.

Rob.

Note to Neil. I will send you the full crew rosta for the Sunderland and Walrus as soon as I get the chance.
    R.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What a snorter Sir, an absolute corker. A few full toss' there old chap. Didn't think the bally Italians played cricket.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I absolutely love the uniqueness of this campaign..... the Short Sunderland looks top shelf sir!

Love the sinking sub Nice Job

PO Reynolds wrestled with the 'stringbag' all the way down. He was glad he hadn't had time to gain much height. His controls were all but useless, his engine had stalled and he was trying to land a brick as safely as he could on the sea. Luckily there were no waves, the sea near the Straight of Gozo was like a mill pond, flat and like a blue mirror. He needed to balance the trim as the swordfish was canted to port. He shouted backwards over his shoulder, "Lean out to the right lads, get her level then sit back down sharpish, we're going in". Whether or not the 'lads' did as he said he didn't know but the strinbag pulled up its left wing and leveled out just as the stringbag hit the surface of the sea. Luckily it glided forward then just sank until the lower wing surface bit into the sea and jerked the plane to an abrupt stop. PO Reynols was thrown forward and bashed his nose on the edge of his cockpit and George Farmer behind bashed the back of his head on PO Reynolds head as his came backwards after bashing his nose. "Come on you two lets get into the dinghy, the Sunderlands about to finish off the sub, then he'll pick us up" Sub Lt Brian Woodward called out, already standing on the wing surface wrestling with the dinghy to get it inflated. A short while later they paddled away and still the plane hadn't sank.

PO. Dean Reynolds SD.S.
    rolled:2 -1 (sea) +2 (low level and not very fast) = 3 = Crash landed ok WIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4613325/
    Wounded rolled: 4 = just a scratch
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4613326/

Ms. George Farmer SD.S.
    rolled:2 - 1 (sea) +2 (low level not fast) = 3 = WIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4613328/
    wounded rolled:6 = just a scratch
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4613330/

Sub Lt. Brian Woodward. SD.S.
    rolled: rolled 5 - 1 (sea) +2 (low level not fast) = 6 = Crash landed ok.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4613331/

Thanks Neil.
    I left the aftermath open ended deliberately so that you could produce a story to fit the results.
    Glad the chaps got off O.K. The RAF Launch was full of Italians.
    Just down to three Hurricanes, three Gladiators, A Sunderland, Walrus, and five Swordfish now.
    I hope a Convoy gets through soon.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I absolutely love the uniqueness of this campaign..... the Short Sunderland looks top shelf sir!
    Once again it's all down to Clipper's fantastic casting skills.
    Rob.

OOh I dunno. I fancy the old Luftwaffe might have another go at the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    OOh I dunno. I fancy the old Luftwaffe might have another go at the next one.
    I didn't know the Luftwaffe went in for sinking Italian subs this early on in the war!
    Kyte.

Marvelous AAR Rob! I loved all the minis, the sub, everything! And a question: Is this the start of you Malta campaing? Or i missed something?
    Thanks

Nick

Magnificent, once again, my friend. The story telling is compelling, the planes are beautiful and the submarine amazing, and the sinking submarine a perfect detail. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Marvelous AAR Rob! I loved all the minis, the sub, everything! And a question: Is this the start of you Malta campaing? Or i missed something?
    Thanks

Nick
    You have actually missed quite a lot.
    Some background on the characters, two missions in North Africa by Peter Bouncer-Smythe and friends, and several attacks on Malta by various units of the Regia Aeronautica.
    There is also a link to some of my characters in the WWI late war. Bouncer-Smythe Senior, Triggers, Hawkwood, Perry, and of course Kyte himself who is now Air Commodore Operations under the GOC. Malta.
    You may also find Air Marshall Raymond cropping up from time to time.
    If you want a flavour of WWI without reading all the AARs go to my Blog and read the Nigel Letters.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You have actually missed quite a lot.
    Some background on the characters, two missions in North Africa by Peter Bouncer-Smythe and friends, and several attacks on Malta by various units of the Regia Aeronautica.
    There is also a link to some of my characters in the WWI late war. Bouncer-Smythe Senior, Triggers, Hawkwood, Perry, and of course Kyte himself who is now Air Commodore Operations under the GOC. Malta.
    You may also find Air Marshall Raymond cropping up from time to time.
    If you want a flavour of WWI without reading all the AARs go to my Blog and read the Nigel Letters.
    Rob.

Cant believe i lost it! I am accompanying the Kindness of Strangers, by Joaquim, so i didn't know your campaing was that high! I guess i'll have to waste some time reading them now!
    Thanks Rob

Nick

Not a waste of time but some highly educational and inspirational reading.

Sir you are too kind.
    Kyte.

Oh sorry, i didn't meant a waste of time, but spent some time reading all the AARs. Does it make sense now?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Barkmann; 08-20-2014 at 17:00.

I do enjoy your AARs always great photos and read

Thumbs up

Another classic Malta encounter from the pen of Rob!
    Superb Aircraft & Targets. Love the sinking sub!

Oh sorry, i didn't meant a waste of time, but spent some time reading all the AARs. Does it make sense now?
    Thanks
    Not A problem Nick. I understood exactly what you were trying to say.
    It was just nice of you to go to the trouble of reading them.
    Rob.

My apologies Nicolas that came out very abrupt and not how I meant it to be. Please accept my apologies. I missed a few smilies off which would have made it sound less officious.

Neil

Thanks

Ah!! Dear Nicolas, Neil and Rob. How easy would be communication if everybody spoke Portuguese...

But of course Joaquim, when do you start your lessons?

I'm starting now, my friend... But it's very, very difficult...

My apologies Nicolas that came out very abrupt and not how I meant it to be. Please accept my apologies. I missed a few smilies off which would have made it sound less officious.

Neil
    No need to apologise. My english is not so good, so i should have improved my vocabulary.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Not A problem Nick. I understood exactly what you were trying to say.
    It was just nice of you to go to the trouble of reading them.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, but it isnt a trouble to read your AARs, its a pleasure.

Nick
    Last edited by Barkmann; 08-26-2014 at 09:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Ah!! Dear Nicolas, Neil and Rob. How easy would be communication if everybody spoke Portuguese...
    Yeah, that would speed things up!

Ah! Yes dear friend, and how wonderful it would be if all the English children I have taught spoke English as well as you do.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Short Sunderland - Rob's style
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2015, 03:10
  2. Jet Power Russian style.
    By phililphall in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 06:28
  3. Galland and his gang, man! With Style!
    By Dark Horse in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 12:50
  4. New Duck in the Mille Pond
    By Niclas in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 15:34
  5. Bloody April 1916 style!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 06:44