Ares Games

Thread: Great picture from WW2 in New Guinea.

Default Great picture from WW2 in New Guinea.

Hi Folks!
    Found this great pic of a Catalina unloading supplies in New Guinea circa 1942.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 Catalina New Guinea.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	140892

Great picture Baz.
    Just goes to remind us of how many of the indigenous population were helping us out.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I wonder if they were Cargo Cultists?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_c...f_World_War_II
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl
    thats interesting, never heard of that before. guess it brings new meaning to the phrase "material superiority".........

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just goes to remind us of how many of the indigenous population were helping us out.
    The Japanese didn't much care for the natives either; they were just a *lot* more unpleasant about it.... :P

Smile

The Aussies really respected the Papuans for the great help in WW2 & on the Kokoda Track & Australia still has a great rapport with PNG today not to mention the $'s we give them in aid.

When I was in PNG in 1959 there were still Cargo Cults in some of the Mountain areas.

Great picture! The Catalina is one of my favorite planes. Seeing it in such a great scenario in this photo is very good.
    Thanks

Nick

Karl
    Interesting link there Karl. "Cargo Cultists"... Thats new to me. Makes me wonder the impact such an conflict can inflict in an population like the one who lived in New Guinea, or others islands (mainly).
    Thanks

Nick

That photograph was a good 'find', Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Interesting link there Karl. "Cargo Cultists"... Thats new to me. Makes me wonder the impact such an conflict can inflict in an population like the one who lived in New Guinea, or others islands (mainly).
    Thanks

Nick
    My first introduction to the Cargo cults was the novel Dream Park by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes.
    See also This Island Earth, a 1952 science fiction novel by Raymond F. Jones for the possible impact of an advanced culture interacting on modern society.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Then there's this: http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/cargo-...ogramming.html .

Never mind the hysterical story of the native asked to testify at the investigation of an accident -- another example of "using something with no understanding of how it actually works"....

My first introduction to the Cargo cults was the novel Dream Park by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes.
    See also This Island Earth, a 1952 science fiction novel by Raymond F. Jones for the possible impact of an advanced culture interacting on modern society.
    Karl
    my favorite author, robert a heinlein, wrote a couple stories dealing with this. one (i cant recall the name atm) talked about an alien civilization so advanced they didnt even view humans as sentient beings, viewing man on the level of bacteria. it discussed the ramifications for human religion and how a whole phenomenon developed concerning incomprehensible discarded alien "garbage" and the human demand/reverence for it. very interesting reading.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    my favorite author, robert a heinlein, wrote a couple stories dealing with this. one (i cant recall the name atm) talked about an alien civilization so advanced they didnt even view humans as sentient beings, viewing man on the level of bacteria. it discussed the ramifications for human religion and how a whole phenomenon developed concerning incomprehensible discarded alien "garbage" and the human demand/reverence for it. very interesting reading.
    Now there was a Si Fi Author who really knew his subject.
    Starship Troopers (the book NOT the movie) is one of my all time favourite books plus "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Now there was a Si Fi Author who really knew his subject.
    Starship Troopers (the book NOT the movie) is one of my all time favourite books plus "Stranger in a Strange Land"
    indeed! he always made it a point to know his subject. the amount of time he spent researching a tremendous array of subjects is mind boggling. id be hard pressed to choose an absolute favorite. if pressed id probably go with "have space suit, will travel" as it was my happy introduction to him, but really i love all of his work ive read.

while not as good as his original book, i think the movie gets an overly bad rap as it includes (albeit watered down) most of its important themes. it just goes to show even butchered heinlein is still a MILES better than most of the pap that passes for entertainment these days.

i sure wish theyd adapt "stranger.." into a movie. i think the world could handle (hell, use it) it these days.

Similar Missions

1. WGS New Guinea 1942 - 1/200 AIM Douglas A-24-DE Banshee, 8 Bomb Sqn USAAF
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 04:08
  2. WGS New Guinea - 1/200 AIM Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk Mk.IAs, 75 Squadron RAAF
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 13:52
  3. WGS Malaya/New Guinea - 1/200 AIM Kawasaki Ki-48-IIb 'Lily', JAAF
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 04:49
  4. Early New Guinea action of Australian flyers
    By Jager in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 14:10
  5. JV44 - great story for a motion picture!
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 06:03