Ares Games

Thread: New ace skill

Default New ace skill

For shooting we already have:
    Perfect Aim: +1 damage, 0 is still 0, 3 recovery.
    Sniper player: takes 2 cards and gives his opponent 1. 4 recovery

Some pilots in single gun aircraft said they did not require 2 guns so:
    Great Shot: pilot in a “B” gun aircraft shoots like an “A” gun aircraft. No need for recovery. The gun still jams like a "B" gun.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by john snelling; 08-18-2014 at 12:19.

It seems a good idea.
    How do you intend to use the B jamming rules if you are drawing A damage cards.

Personally, I wouldn't take that into account for the rules - it was enough to them, but would it inflict damage similar to twin-MGs?

But, perhaps there is a way to solve B & A deck problem Joaquim mentioned:

1)Take B card.

If there's no jamming on B card : Return B card to the deck, and take A card instead applying all damage (except jamming).

If there's jamming on B card : apply damage as usual

If the gun jams it takes 3 turns to unjam just like in the rules.

This is one thing that isn't really covered in the rules, nor in the Ace Skills. Several aces used to attack using maneuvers that just don't translate in a game.

One ace used to sneak up under a plane, pitch up and fire into the bottom of his opponent, and the plane would wing over and crash. Supposedly because the shooting would kill or incapacitate the pilot.

While flying the Sopwith Triplane, Collishaw wouldn't fire until he was under 100 yds. Along with his sharpshooting abilities, it would do significant damage to his target, even though he had a single gun. However, in the book "Raymond Collishaw and the Black Flight", he had many jams that he couldn't fix in flight, and had to head home, unable to defend himself, and I think significantly reducing his opportunities to raise his score. So, for Collishaw, I'd give him double damage on any card(s), but any red jams are game enders.

Not easy to emulate in a game, and not much fun for your opponent (or you if your jams were permanent).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This is one thing that isn't really covered in the rules, nor in the Ace Skills. Several aces used to attack using maneuvers that just don't translate in a game.

One ace used to sneak up under a plane, pitch up and fire into the bottom of his opponent, and the plane would wing over and crash. Supposedly because the shooting would kill or incapacitate the pilot.

While flying the Sopwith Triplane, Collishaw wouldn't fire until he was under 100 yds. Along with his sharpshooting abilities, it would do significant damage to his target, even though he had a single gun. However, in the book "Raymond Collishaw and the Black Flight", he had many jams that he couldn't fix in flight, and had to head home, unable to defend himself, and I think significantly reducing his opportunities to raise his score. So, for Collishaw, I'd give him double damage on any card(s), but any red jams are game enders.

Not easy to emulate in a game, and not much fun for your opponent (or you if your jams were permanent).
    I with you. I like playing with certain A-H aircraft when their guns jam they cannot unjam.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

I guess it all depends on how much 'realism' you want to encumber the game with. For example, not all MG jams are the same. You could have a variable factor. Some gun jams would NOT be fixed in the air. I have had some MG jams (in real life) that required disassembly on the bench. On the other hand, some are very easy to fix.

Then you have all sorts of variations due to specific aircraft types...some have easy access for the pilot; others are impossible.

Then you have Freddy Fumblefingers, who drops his Lewis gun's drum magazine over the side as he tries to reload!

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I guess it all depends on how much 'realism' you want to encumber the game with. For example, not all MG jams are the same. You could have a variable factor. Some gun jams would NOT be fixed in the air. I have had some MG jams (in real life) that required disassembly on the bench. On the other hand, some are very easy to fix.

Then you have all sorts of variations due to specific aircraft types...some have easy access for the pilot; others are impossible.

Then you have Freddy Fumblefingers, who drops his Lewis gun's drum magazine over the side as he tries to reload!
    Well I am all for rules that makes the game more realistic but it must still be fun to play and easy to use.
    The A-firing B-gun is a great idea but I think that it needs some sort of limitation. Perhaps 1 or 2 recoverypoints or that it only works at close range. (half ruler gives 2 A-cards, otherwise 1 B-card.) and jaming when
    you draw a jamming-card whatever damage-deck you pick it from. Keep it simple.

P-G

Similar Missions

1. Which ACE skill would you take first?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 11:53
  2. New Ace Skill idea
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 18:45