Ares Games

Thread: That's not my balloon!

Default That's not my balloon!

This week I've picked up a couple of the Nexus WoW Observation Balloons.

Having picked up a de Guibert with a yellow balloon cheap on ebay, I ordered "Johnson/Prince" from a seller on Amazon, also on the cheap.

When it arrived it was another de Guibert with a yellow balloon.

The image used to sell the item was the drawn artwork for the box, not an image of actual box and contents, so this was my first chance to see them.

I contacted the seller, and he was insistent he had sent me the "Johnson/Prince".
    I sent him the listing of the box contents for each set, showing the yellow balloon and brown plane were the de Guibert set, and also sent him the aircraft cards showing the plane colours and the pilot names.

In return he sent me the a shot of the packaging the boxes were shipped in, labelled in clear bold lettering "Johnson/Prince" and highlighted the barcode on the box which again says "Johnson/Prince". (I checked mine, it really does).

He says he's sold thousands of this item and no one has ever mentioned this before. If nothing else that surprised me, knowing the sort of person who plays table top games. Perhaps they all just thought: "Never mind I can repaint that."

Has anyone else had this slightly odd experience?

Something is rotten in Denmark, methinks...

Hi Fox!
    I need a balloon.
    If you want and the price is right I can buy it from you.
    Send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I need a balloon.
    If you want a Yellow Balloon with a brown de Guibert Neiuport in box barcoded as Johnson/Prince and with a rule book in Spanish he still has one left.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039Z73C6/

The problem is the shipping cost Amazon charges to Portugal. Is way over the top.

He's actually in France, you could try buying it direct from his shop.
    http://www.ludibay.net/wings-of-war-...r-p-11257.html

Also take a look at this chaps shipping rates; I think you'll pay the same as I did.

And at that price, you could pay as much as €30 and it would still be as cheap as the original price.

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    If you want a Yellow Balloon with a brown de Guibert Neiuport in box barcoded as Johnson/Prince and with a rule book in Spanish he still has one left.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039Z73C6/
    French plane and balloon of Italian game with Spanish rules from UK Amazon - whoah, does anybody said something abou globalisation?

Just bought it. Thanks for your help, Fox.

You are more than welcome.

He's actually in France, you could try buying it direct from his shop.
    http://www.ludibay.net/wings-of-war-...r-p-11257.html
    I had three transactions on ebay with different French sellers

1) never arrived, no money return (small amount of money, so I decided not to ask re-fund through ebay when seller refused to return money)
    2) never arrived, then replaced after more than a month (to be fair, instead one item, seller send two as replacement)
    3) arrived, but only half of the lot (money returned for other half, but that makes the lot more expensive per miniature)

So, my overall experience with French sellers is very bad, so, after the third I stopped to order from French sellers.

I've always received everything sent by French sellers. The main problem is the excessive shipping costs to Portugal.

I half remember when the first balloons were shown on Ares that they used a mock up with the wrong details.
    I'm sure that something was said about it on here at the time.
    They also showed a generic picture on the mock up box.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah there definitely was a labelling cock up with the first production batch of balloons (they were so late reaching the UK that I bought my first stock from Germany, and it was similarly mislabelled, but not a problem as I'd ordered equal numbers of each anyway, so just switched the labels myself), but it seems very odd for a seller not to have picked up on it several years later, while he most certainly hasn't sold "thousands" of them.... That said, I've used Ludibay in the past and found them pretty good, so not quite sure what to make of this one....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    That said, I've used Ludibay in the past and found them pretty good, so not quite sure what to make of this one....
    He's been pretty good.

Delivery was quick, and once we got over the "You've sent the wrong one!" : "I have not!", we reached an explanation.

He's offered to refund if I send it back, and I've declined that offer; he doesn't have any of the alternative anyway.

He doesn't play the game, and there is nothing to indicate the labelling is wrong. So I guess he wasn't to know.

As I said, I'm just surprised no one has mentioned it to him before.
    [And I did think about calling bullsh!t to him selling thousands, but I thought I'd let that go.]

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I'd like to know what your definition of "cheap" is. I just watched a Wings of War Balloon Buster box set go for over $150 plus shipping. Personally, I think someone was shill bidding the thing up. It was sitting at $40 up to the last couple of hours. Then suddenly two people started bidding like mad driving the price up to over $150. I call shenannigans!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    I'd like to know what your definition of "cheap" is.
    Less than the original box price; which was about £45 inc shipping in the UK.

Less than the original box price; which was about £45 inc shipping in the UK.
    Got mine in a sale from France - worked out I got both for a total of £50 ($75?) with postage. Great deal, wouldn't have bothered otherwise, previously used cards from BD.

Everything arrived quite well and quickly. I'm pleased. Thanks for the tip.

Similar Missions

1. FS: Brown Balloon from Balloon Buster set
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 09:10
  2. The Balloon goes up.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 09:01
  3. The balloon goes up again.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11