Ares Games

Thread: D.VII Base Problems

Default D.VII Base Problems

I was at the LGS buying some D&D stuff the other day, and saw they had the new planes. I decided against buying the lot, and just went for the yellow D.VII.

It looks nice, but I'll admit I bought the better of the two they had on the shelf.

However, when I placed it on the table, I noticed the base didn't sit flush with the table top. I was wondering if any of you have encountered warped bases, and if so, have you found a fix?

Worse case scenario, I guess I could sand it until it is level.

I have had a few, but found that when they get onto the mats they generally bed in O.K.
    As most of mine go straight onto the Oberst's bases anyway, I've not been overtly worried either.
    If it is a nuisance, sanding should iron it out.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As most of mine go straight onto the Oberst's bases anyway.....
    What do you do with the original bases? If you have any looking for a home......

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    What do you do with the original bases? If you have any looking for a home......
    Sorry to disappoint Dave, but they form an integral part of the base, under the Oberst's to give extra weight and show the data for the aircraft.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I was at the LGS buying some D&D stuff the other day, and saw they had the new planes. I decided against buying the lot, and just went for the yellow D.VII.

It looks nice, but I'll admit I bought the better of the two they had on the shelf.

However, when I placed it on the table, I noticed the base didn't sit flush with the table top. I was wondering if any of you have encountered warped bases, and if so, have you found a fix?

Maybe try hot water and a heavy book or something on top?

I think it may be that the peg hole surround is too deep. I tested mine, and it seems like center post touches the table. Try flipping it over and running a straight edge across it, and see if it hits the post hole.

John,
    When I was photographing my stop-action animations (College Project - Wings of Glory Animation), the peg insert on the base would 'catch' the cards as I slid the base over them. I finally had to file and sand the front edge of the peg insert to round it off. No more 'catching', and better, quicker, photography sessions.

It should work for you and your problem. Very fine sandpaper and perhaps a coat of clear paint or polish to eliminate any 'frosting' of the plastic on the bottom of the peg, if that bothers you? Otherwise, most people shouldn't notice the sanding/filing job.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    John,
    When I was photographing my stop-action animations (College Project - Wings of Glory Animation), the peg insert on the base would 'catch' the cards as I slid the base over them. I finally had to file and sand the front edge of the peg insert to round it off. No more 'catching', and better, quicker, photography sessions.

It should work for you and your problem. Very fine sandpaper and perhaps a coat of clear paint or polish to eliminate any 'frosting' of the plastic on the bottom of the peg, if that bothers you? Otherwise, most people shouldn't notice the sanding/filing job.

ive got the same problem with a couple of the slower a/c where the peg base catches on the card as youre trying to line it up. been meaning to file them down but i keep forgetting about it

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been so busy playing D&D5 (and prepping for a game of FASA Trek later this year) that I haven't even taken the plane out of the box since first posting this. I'll give one of these fixes a try sooner or later.

(and prepping for a game of FASA Trek later this year)
    Wow -- *old* game....

(and prepping for a game of FASA Trek later this year)
    Wow -- *old* game....

Similar Missions

1. Measuring Range: base-to-base or stand-to-base?
    By ColoradoCoppens in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 23:51
  2. National Problems
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 07:02
  3. Printing Problems
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 10:20
  4. problems staying logged in ?