Ares Games

Thread: Should I treat my balls?

Default Should I treat my balls?

I've never really thought I had the talent for decorating models, so one of the things I like most about WoG was that it has all these cute, prepainted little models.

However, having aquired some AA magnetic gimbles, I've been forced to bring the dremel, mini-plyers and glue to bear on the problem.
    I've created 16 gimbled pegs suitable for most of my aircraft.

Now I have 4 magnets and ball bearings left; but I'm sure I've seen it discussed here that the gimbles are not suitable for bombers, that they will simply not support the weight.

Could you please advise me if that's correct for the WW1 bombers? What's the experience of people who've tried it?

Is the problem that ball will not stay stuck to the magnet, or is it just that it doesn't have the grip to prevent sagging.

Because I also recall that some people treat their balls to increase the coefficient of friction.
    That certainly doesn't seem necessary for my ordinary pegs, even the larger two seaters stay angled without any modification.

But might it help the problem for the bombers?
    I'm up for giving it a go; but is it a lost cause?

Right, that's enough modelling for me.

Although, of course, a recent spree of nexus balloon shopping has left me with undistinguishable DeGuibert Neiuports....

Fox,

Below are links to what I did.
    For Bombers:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1761

Other aircraft:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1760

Maybe you can use them or get some ideas.

What the bombers look like on the table.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=2739

In short Fox, yes you should cover your balls. I have put super glue on mine & let it dry. I've found that works well for me & gives a little traction - it is alot easier than other solutions I've seen such as taking sand paper to your balls ! You should do it for most of them particularly as some of the two-seater's suffer from droopage due to their weight. Haven't tried it with Bombers myself but you probably just need bigger balls for them. Oh Matron !

Generally I find that metal models will not work with balls.
    Some of the small two seaters and singles with some metal parts need the balls roughing up a bit or painting and varnishing for extra friction. As for larger bombers they have too much leverage to stay put.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Why is everyone staring at me like that?

Where is the smiley for 'hand over mouth vainly muffling highly inappropriate/improper response'?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Where is the smiley for 'hand over mouth vainly muffling highly inappropriate/improper response'?
    You mean this one? Or maybe this one is more appropriate!

I think given that I am experiencing no limpness, even on the larger scouts, I might take a punt on building a gimbled bomber peg (I've got plenty of spares).

I'm sure I can cover my balls with something that will give satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    I think given that I am experiencing no limpness, even on the larger scouts, I might take a punt on building a gimbled bomber peg (I've got plenty of spares).

I'm sure I can cover my balls with something that will give satisfaction.
    You might try some of Keith's rubberized adhesive which he sells to stop pegs from slipping out when inserted into a slightly enlarged hole, and prevent damage to your model if it falls off suddenly.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You might try some of Keith's rubberized adhesive which he sells to stop pegs from slipping out when inserted into a slightly enlarged hole, and prevent damage to your model if it falls off suddenly.
    Rob.

thats what she said........

this is all getting very silly.
    this is a serious forum for serious people to discuss serious matters of a serious military nature!
    All this frivolity and double entendres is very silly.
    it is as silly as a silly thing being discussed in a silly manner by silly people who have taken silly tablets.
    no more silliness. It's silly
    Stop it
    stop it now
    if you dont stop I shall call the silly police
    Why are you looking at me like that...... no, I don't like the tablets.... I won't take them......

And now for something completely different......

double ententere? Two allied planes flying as a pair?

I hope people don't think I've been deliberately smutty.

What sort of person do you think I am?

I hope people don't think I've been deliberately smutty.

I know what sort of person you are Fox, but I couldn't possibly comment.
    Kyte.

I know what sort of person you are Fox
    Oh, you think you do; but it's all so much worse than you imagine.

Oh, you think you do; but it's all so much worse than you imagine.
    You don't mean that you're really are a Suffragette's bodyguard!
    Kyte.

Apologies for dragging this thread out of the gutter, but has anyone tried the Oberst's rubber adhesive on Sails of Glory bases to stop the ships coming away from the base during play? Seems it might work if I smeared it over the peg.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

No, but now you mention it I will Gunners. I was almost tempted to put Superglue on them, they are so annoying.
    Top marks for idea of the day.
    Problem is do I give rep here or on the Sails site?
    Rob.

Not a person -- a Fox? ;)

No, but now you mention it I will Gunners. I was almost tempted to put Superglue on them, they are so annoying.
    Top marks for idea of the day.
    Problem is do I give rep here or on the Sails site?
    Rob.
    Both, just to make sure?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Similar Missions

1. 2dn Gotha - A Fiddler's Green Treat
    By Blackronin in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 09:11