Ares Games

Thread: AAR: InCONceivable Skype Game 2014

Default AAR: InCONceivable Skype Game 2014

After I hi-jacked Neil's [Skafloc] invite for a Skype game, it turned out that he didn't get to play.

I got in and set up for the Wings of Glory game demonstration, and the rig for the webcam for the 10:00 AM PDT opening.

Ready for the crowd:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CON set-up.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	140074
    I used the flat screen to show people things on the Aerodrome site, and play my silent-film videos. There was waayy too much going on, and far too many distractions to demo the game. Only one person sat down to play all day. I did talk to lots of people, but they were on their way to other things, not looking to try out new games.

Paul called in at 3:00 PM PDT, and we started getting ready for a game:

Name:	Connecting with Paul.jpg 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	140075
    Two SPAD VIIs against two Albatros D.IIs.

We started our game with me splitting up and Paul coming straight toward my starting position.

Name:	Game13_Trn01b.JPG 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	140076
    Von Richthofen tags my Sqn 23 SPAD with no damage.

I continue my split, but Paul Immelmanns both planes.

Name:	Game13_Trn01c.jpg 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	140077
    Had I come straight at him, it would have been a joust, with Paul shooting up my butt at the end.

Paul had to continue straight, and I actually continued my pincer maneuver with great shot opportunities.

Name:	Game13_Trn02a.jpg 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	140078

The next move I over-ran my initial targets, but could still shoot at the opposite planes.

Name:	Game13_Trn02b.jpg 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	140079

Ending of Turn 2, and I am following Paul, adding +1 shots to his planes. Guynemer's guns jam.

Name:	Game13_Trn02c.jpg 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	140080

I find out later that Boelcke took serious hits in the last two exchanges, and limited his options. It caused him to run straight out from my plane, taking shots all the way.

Name:	Game13_Trn03a.jpg 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	140081

Sqn 23 SPAD pounds Boelcke as Guynemer and von Richthofen circle away from each other.

Name:	Game13_Trn03b.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	140082

No surprise, Boelcke goes down. The surprise is no gun jams with all the shooting.

Name:	Game13_Trn03c.jpg 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	140083

Sqn 23 SPAD Immelmanns as Guynemer and von Richthofen finally come around and shoot each other. Guynemer takes only two damage.

Name:	Game13_Trn04b.jpg 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	140089

As Guynemer and von Richthofen overlap, 23 Sqn SPAD shoots up von Richthofen.

Name:	Game13_Trn04c.jpg 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	140084

Turn 5 was all maneuvering for position.

Name:	Game13_Trn05c.JPG 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	140085

Turn 6 and Guynemer gets another shot on von Richthofen, Sqn 23 SPAD is out of range. Guynemer's shot lights up von Richthofen's plane

Name:	Game13_Trn06a.jpg 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	140086

Second maneuver of Turn 6 had Sqn 23 SPAD and von Richthofen overlapped, so no shooting. No Photo.

The SPADs overun von Richthofen, and the lack of maneuverability takes everyone far apart.

Name:	Game13_Trn06c.JPG 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	140087

And von Richthofen exercises discretion, and takes the separation as an opportunity to get away from some very fast planes.

Name:	Game13_Trn07c.jpg 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	140088

The Butcher's Bill:
    The two SPADs were barely scratched, and the Albatri are mauled.

Name:	Game13_End.jpg 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	140090
    This is where the competition with my environment made decent communication with Paul almost impossible. So, von Richthofen survived at least to get away, but on fire.

Not the contest I expected, but some unexpected maneuvers by me and some bad hits on Paul's planes gave him limited options that I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of. I still can't believe that my guns didn't jam up more, with all the firing I was doing.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-09-2014 at 23:50. Reason: continue captioning
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

It was a good game Mike, but as you say I took some really bad hits, including pilot wounded and the dreaded fire card. As you say it was LOUD!! especially towards the end of the game but all in all a great time. What else was going on there apart from the live action RPG games?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well done for flying the flag you chaps - shame that you didn't get more interest but at least you got a game in !!

Damn I missed all the fun.
    See you on the Dark Side......

The CON Schedule is here: InCONcv - Events/Activities

I was in the main hall for maximum exposure, but that lead to reciprocal intrusions. They were doing things all day on the stage. During the Skype game, besides the LARP demo, there were "Guess the Theme Song" contests, Door Prize announcements, Skits, etc... All with the loud speakers at Loud. Then, there was the ambient noise and conversations passing by, and another Warmachine demo at the next table. I'm surprised that Paul could hear me at all.

Name:	InCON2014_Panorama1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	140103
    A panorama shot of the Rotary Hall. I was standing with my left shoulder to the flat screen, and panned to the right, around the room for a 270 degree view. The stage is over the two boys on the right of the Warmachine demo, the tables in the middle were for family gaming (games could be signed out at the venue from the booth on the extreme right, which was right in front of my booth. Exit doors to other halls were further to the right). Back of the right was the Photo Booth, with a professional photographer taking pictures of contestants of the Cosplay Contest.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-10-2014 at 09:43. Reason: Added panorama shot
    Mike

Ah that explains a lot Mike. Overall was it a good Con? Sorry to hear you only had 1 player all day, think I caught him on camera as we linked up but you never know, the first game of WOW could be the start of a new games experence for him.
    Thanks for the link up
    Paul

Thumbs up

Well done Chaps!
    Hopefully people did notice the action but it is hard when there is so much going on around you.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Ah that explains a lot Mike. Overall was it a good Con? Sorry to hear you only had 1 player all day, think I caught him on camera as we linked up but you never know, the first game of WOW could be the start of a new games experence for him.
    Thanks for the link up
    Paul
    Paul, you should get a medal for perseverance.

Yes, you did catch the gentleman as we linked up. But I wasn't going to refuse the only game I was offered on the day. It was too bad he was trailing a few children that were too young, nor interested, to play. Otherwise, he might have played with us.

Who knows, I might get a call for another game under better circumstances, as I was giving out Aerodrome business cards, and my personal card, all day.
    Mike

Hopefully all the hard work will pay off in the long term Mike.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Bad luck old chap! All that trouble for no punters. Still, we got a great report out of it. It was a great idea with that skype link. You'll be snowed under with visitors next time....

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Paul, you should get a medal for perseverance.

Yes, you did catch the gentleman as we linked up. But I wasn't going to refuse the only game I was offered on the day. It was too bad he was trailing a few children that were too young, nor interested, to play. Otherwise, he might have played with us.

Who knows, I might get a call for another game under better circumstances, as I was giving out Aerodrome business cards, and my personal card, all day.
    Well as you Canadians Know from little seeds giant trees may grow. Passing round the cards is a great idea, maybe they will hook up to You Tube and catch some games there or drop onto the site . Anyway I enjoyed the game and speaking to you again. See you are now promoted to Adjudant so salutes all round.

Hoped to get something similar going at Doncaster next month but they do not have WIFI or internet at the venue

It appears that the post I should have put up here did not land Mike.
    It was just to say well done for a splendid effort and breaking new ground on behalf of Wings.
    Well done that man.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It appears that the post I should have put up here did not land Mike.
    It was just to say well done for a splendid effort and breaking new ground on behalf of Wings.
    Well done that man.
    Kyte.
    Agreed.

Similar Missions

1. AAR SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game - Fourway Dogfight!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 08:39
  2. AAR SND - International Skype Game - Threeway Dogfight!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 07:06
  3. International Skype Game Invitation - 12-14 April
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 05:54
  4. AAR - International Skype Game - UK vs Canada, March 2013
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 13:33
  5. 1st game via Skype