Ares Games

Thread: Just got my D.H.4. , already have a question

Default Just got my D.H.4. , already have a question

How do you do damage with the DH4? Does the front arc use A damage and the back uses B?

Depends on the individual aircraft. If memory serves, in the original release the British ones are A front/B rear while the American one tosses A's from both ends. USUAL practice was to have two guns on the cowling (A deck=two MG's), while the observer having to man-handle the weight of the ring and mount meant only one. (B=1 MG; C=cannon, usually ground artillery as seldom carried by WWI aircraft other than the SPAD XII; D=Le Prieur anti-balloon rockets.)

New group, unsure; mine won't ship until my supplier gets his Rolands later this month so they go as one batch. It's worth noting that all three DH4's in Series 2B are new, the old AEF was a Marine bird while the new is Army.

Quote Originally Posted by EhindsVCS View Post
    How do you do damage with the DH4? Does the front arc use A damage and the back uses B?
    wgf204a: 50th sqdn AEF is a front/a back
    wgf204b: raf cotton-betts is a-b front / b back
    wgf204c: raf bartlett- naylor it a front/ b back

Does it not tell you on he cards/base of the models you have ? eg A/B (front/back)

It's the Cotton/Betts one, so on the base it says B A/B. However the first B is in a larger font.

So Cotton & Betts have an extra fwd MG, good for hit and run tactics, while the American ones have equal firepower more evenly distributed for "let them come to you".

Gotta be at least one Munchkin Machine every once in a while... though I think one of the Brisfits owns that title for good now. LOL

It's the Cotton/Betts one, so on the base it says B A/B. However the first B is in a larger font.
    The pic of the base I'm looking at there is an A above a B, a dividing line, then a second B, and it is the second B that is larger font but that is a promo pic.
    If it is as you state I would suggest for the mission it was intended (ie long range recon) you have a B front & Rear with the option of A/B for missions closer home. I say either/or as I see no extra guns on the model as it comes to make it and A+B/B, though at least one of the real ones had twin Lewis guns fitted over the wing for anti-airship duties after the Kiel job was cancelled !
    Confused ? I am !!
    Last edited by flash; 08-10-2014 at 12:31.

"He is wise who watches"

Straight from the designer in a personal email...
    Question
    Gentlemen, just had a question come up on the Aerodrome that I thought needed a "From The Source" answer.

The Cotton/Betts DH4 is listed with attacks of "B A/B", which opens itself to multiple interpretations...
    1. (mine): 3 guns forward, 1 back, target in front arc takes A AND B damage cards. I seem to recall at least one other WGF mini throwing both A and B damage cards in the same arc...
    2. (alternate): Base represents an option for with or without second nose gun, forward arc is "A OR B", not "And". Advocate for this position cites lack of a third front MG on the model.
    Answer
    Your version is correct, A+B. I have not my documentation at hand but I guess that the third MG is buried in the nose.

Thanks a lot. I would not have expected that. Knowing this makes this miniature very interesting, and powerful if I understand correctly. At close range 2 b cards and 2 a cards off the front gun, right?

Correct, as I understand it. A7459 SHOULD have one gun on the cowling and two overwing for that load, though...
    http://modelingmadness.com/review/w1/gb/fosterdh4.htm

The truly hardcore can probably find plenty of options from other 1/144 lines to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Correct, as I understand it. A7459 SHOULD have one gun on the cowling and two overwing for that load...
    That's the anti airship configuration I referred to for A7459 after the Kiel job was cancelled, for the Kiel mission it was the standard load out of Vickers front, Lewis aft.

Here's a model of the kiel config: http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Mat...dh4/index.html

And a previous thread that may help: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-A-DH4-Repaint

But the fact is, A7459 still wore Kiel camo when outfitted as a "Cigar Lighter", which is what the stats reflect, just that somebody had a glitch in remembering to mod the guns on the mini.

So, frontal A and frontal B are two separate guns, and consequently, they should jam separately? And then, if both of them are jammed at the same moment, is it 3 maneuvers to unjam both of them, or is it 3 maneuvers for first and next 3 for the second (having in mind it would be extremely heavy to unjam two guns and fly at the same time)?

Oh man, you DO know how to gum up the works, don't you? :P LOL

I would say those top Lewises are probably not reloadable or unjammable... they don't appear to go on a quadrant mount, and I know that I for one for DAMN sure would not try standing on my seat to reach up over the wing and fight with 'em--I'd rather draw my pistol and take my chances on getting a good shot at the other guy's HEAD with that than take my chances working with fixed overwings.

Get it home, then it's the ground crew's problem... LOL

i would adapt my optional rules about jamming. one color jam symbol is for 1 "set" or the other (ie the 2 lewis guns or the vickers) and the others is due to centrifugal forces and all 3 guns jam.

while it would be very difficult to unjam/reload the upper lewis guns i dont think it would be impossible. considering the testicular fortitude shown by fe 2 aircrew i think if they were desperate enough they would give it a try. i think there would have to be maneuver restrictions however. maybe only straight and levels until jam is cleared (at least 4 maybe 6) or gun reloaded (1 for climbing up, 1 per gun reloaded {ie 2 for both} and 1 to climb back in cockpit). i think ,also, the gunner would be particularly vulnerable and easy to draw a bead on when fired at in such a situation (handle it like the rear gunner in a caproni).

i personally would never attempt it but, then again, ive never had anyone shooting at me with no other option.

DB has it right there - these Lewis guns are not within reach of the pilot or crew so would not reloadable or unjammable.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was actually considering a rule to allow for both to jam, however I had never realized the Lewis Gun was out of reach.

Hi all, sorry to bump this thread but have just come into ownership of a WoW DH.4, specifically the Atkey version:

As can be seen the model appears to have 2 guns in front and one behind, yet the base and card indicate B/A damage... this seems backwards?

Only plane I've seen this (cards not matching the minis) on in my collection so far. Is this a "known issue"?
    Last edited by surfimp; 08-25-2014 at 21:43.

Yes - all 3 DH4s from Nexus Series 2 are moulded the same, with twin cowling guns and single rear for the observer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Yes - all 3 DH4s from Nexus Series 2 are moulded the same, with twin cowling guns and single rear for the observer.
    That's mildly annoying!! Heh. Oh well, I guess if it bothers me enough I can attempt to inflict some "modelling" on it.

Thanks!

It would have been a good idea to issue the Cotton/Betts D.H.4 with two aeroplane cards, one for the Kiel Mission and one for its anti-Zeppelin role.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It would have been a good idea to issue the Cotton/Betts D.H.4 with two aeroplane cards, one for the Kiel Mission and one for its anti-Zeppelin role.
    True. Or maybe make this second run of DH.4s with over-wing Lewis guns... the Cotton/Betts kite wasn't the only one armed in such a fashion (DH4 no. A8025 flown by Lt Pearson & 2nd Lt Darby of 202 Squadron RAF was another). Then again, I don't really need my DH.4s up-gunned so long as my F.2Bs stay that way!

Shhhhh ! dont let Tim hear you talking about upgunning another British plane - however I for one think its a brilliant idea...
    You can never have too many guns... love the Sopwith Dolphin at Hendon with the 4 forward firing guns...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. OK Got a question and i need help!!
    By sirosis o liver in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 05:12
  2. AA-gun question
    By Marechallannes in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 07:12
  3. a question
    By bigkev in forum Officer's Club