Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A mystery unravelled.

Default A mystery unravelled.

Researching for my August Game over Malta, I unwittingly unraveled a mystery that has been bugging me from the start of my campaign. I knew that a French seaplane had defected from Tunisia to join the British in Malta during August 40, but could find no supporting evidence as to what sort of plane it was.
    Trawling through the web tonight I suddenly came across this.

According to Armistice terms, all French aircraft were grounded, but after the Royal Navy attack on the French fleet in Mers el-Kébir, maritime patrol off the North African coast became a regular duty for the crews. In spite of the Royal Navy attack, one Latécoère crew defected to British-held Malta in July 1940. The airmen joined the RAF, and their aircraft, repainted in RAF colours, was used operationally.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	late298c3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	139644

All my Christmases have come at once.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great find Rob! I got a book that tells something about this plane:
    Attachment 139645
    Sorry for the quality of the image.
    Thanks

Nick

Thanks for the extra info Nicolas.
    Now the real problems start. When it was a pipe dream no worries.
    Now I need to work out how to make one, get the stats committee to do the maths, get a card done and find a movement deck to fit it.
    No worries there then.
    Rob.

You need the plane first Rob. The floats and struts should be no problem.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Now I need to work out how to make one, get the stats committee to do the maths, get a card done and find a movement deck to fit it.
    No worries there then.
    Rob.
    How many do you want? Elves are waiting . . ..

Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-07-2014 at 15:44. Reason: Shading
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

No worries there then.
    Rob.

No problem Rob. This plane is beautiful and a miniature of it would be great. I will search all internet to find it.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    You need the plane first Rob. The floats and struts should be no problem.

Neil
    Yes Neil, having seen your How to on Float planes and having done a couple of WW1 conversions, I had a mind to try it.
    Just a matter of finding something like the right body.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    By the looks of it he only needs one. A single elf can probably knock one up in a couple of minuites!

From the wiki article, and an on-line aircraft performance site, I'd go with Carl Brisgamer's XS deck (300kph). Ceiling: 7; Climb: 8
    Hits and guns look good, Mike.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 08-08-2014 at 11:15. Reason: spelling :( and again:smack:
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Just the one if it's no bother Dave. I will soon have more of your models than Ares ones at this rate.
    I just noticed your Banner. Superb.
    I don't think I have answers to all my questions answered so fast in all the time I have been on here.
    Thanks to Clipper, OldGuy59, Barkman, and Jager.
    Rob.

Here's another image, in the internet and in english:
    Attachment 139795
    Thanks

Nick

Once again thank you Nick.
    Rob.

Okay the elves did their job, now I have to do mine (mail duty)

I am also tossing in a set of outer pontoons for your Sunderland from Blackronin

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    By the looks of it he only needs one. A single elf can probably knock one up in a couple of minutes!
    So it's true then.
    Rob.

I am also tossing in a set of outer pontoons for your Sunderland from Blackronin
    Rob.

I don't know why anything David does surprises me, but it still does.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ok, that mini as awesome! You really did a great job David. But what are the "elves"? When i see your mention, i laugh without reason.... Anyway
    Thanks

Nick

Darn,
    I can't give you more Rep. Mutual admiration is not encouraged on this site.
    Mike

Too darn quick, blink and you'd miss it. Great job as ever David, not forgetting the Elves too of course.

Thumbs up

Another superb effort from Clipper & the Elves.
    That great gesture sure does deserve Rep!

I just reached this thread and Dave already took care of it. Amazing. This plane has some sweet lines.
    You are becoming the Museum of WW2 Air Combat, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I just reached this thread and Dave already took care of it. Amazing. This plane has some sweet lines.
    You are becoming the Museum of WW2 Air Combat, Rob.
    I don't claim to be that by any stretch of the imagination Quim, but I am learning a lot about Malta in the course of this research.
    Rob.

Well, soon you'll have all the planes that operated from Malta and that is grand.

There are just one or two more Quim, but they tended to just be passing through. I think that the only obviously serious omissions are now the Cant Bomber and the Beaufort Torpedo Bomber, if we exclude the invasion of Italy, and I don't intend to go that far.
    Rob.

The Beauforts aren't hard to find. Try Ron. Was the Cant an Alcione?

The Beauforts aren't hard to find. Try Ron. Was the Cant an Alcione?
    Yes! This is the one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	140028
    Rob.

The Beauforts aren't hard to find. Try Ron.
    Ron who Quim?
    Rob.

Ron Crawford from HBM miniatures. He still has (I think) Beauforts.
    His mail: ron200hbm@gmavt.ne

Ron Crawford from HBM miniatures. He still has (I think) Beauforts.
    His mail: ron200hbm@gmavt.ne
    Thanks Quim,
    i'll get in touch with him.
    Rob.

The man is a God

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Yes! This is the one.

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	140028
    Rob.
    You mean this one Rob?
    http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...ione-italy-_JM
    Brazilian collection. The only good thing that can add to WoG here, as far as i know.
    Thanks

Nick

That's the Baby Nicolas.
    Rob.

What can i do? Anyway they are 1/144 a and come with a base.
    Thanks

Nick

And here it is in the flesh in Grand Harbour:

Name:	65.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	140030

Name:	b2e60f71.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	140029

Somebody else used them too !

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	140031

And here is something for the elves ...
    Last edited by flash; 08-09-2014 at 11:33.

Beautiful, Flash. This photo brings the campaign closer to reality, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    What can i do? Anyway they are 1/144 a and come with a base.
    Thanks

Nick
    Nice find Nick.
    It's just a pity they are in 144 and not 200.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    And here it is in the flesh in Grand Harbour:

Name:	65.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	140030

Name:	b2e60f71.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	140029

Somebody else used them too !

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	140031

And here is something for the elves ...
    That is an incredible find Dave.
    I have been chasing this for a year nearly, and just finding the name of the seaplane involved has opened up all this information.
    thanks for this next piece of the jigsaw in place. now I will try and find out what happened to the French pilot after he joined the RAF.
    Rob.

Can't you use them together Rob? I know it's different scales, but they are very close. Anyway, its your choice. And great find flash, the images really bring something more to the discussion.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Can't you use them together Rob? I know it's different scales, but they are very close. Anyway, its your choice. And great find flash, the images really bring something more to the discussion.
    Thanks

Nick
    Oh Nick! For some of us scale means a lot.
    We just couldn't use scales so different as 1/144 and 1/200.
    Scale is absolutely necessary for the "suspension of disbelief" that we look for in our games.

Oh Nick! For some of us scale means a lot.
    We just couldn't use scales so different as 1/144 and 1/200.
    Scale is absolutely necessary for the "suspension of disbelief" that we look for in our games.
    Of course, sorry Joaquim. Its just that this doesn't bother me a lot. I mean of course i CAN'T use a 1/200 BF109 with a 1/144 BF109. In the case of bombers i guess its different. Its STILL a different scale, but our eyes (at least mine) dont see a big diffence. But that is just for 1/144 and 1/200. And i can't say nothing as my minis for WWII didn't arrived (its been a month now!).
    Thanks

Nick

I understand. I'm used to wait 3 or more months some times, Nick.
    As for the bombers, when you put a 1/200 me-109 near a 1/144 Wellington you can see the difference I'll tell you.
    But that's me, there are others that don't mind the scale difference.
    I used to play 1/72 ww2 and when a tank was 1/76 sold as 1/72 I got angry...

Thanks Joaquim. I have a 1/144 Lancaster and a B-17, so i can't tell anything.

Nick

One uses what one's got.
    When I start playing Wings of War WW1, I was considering using only 1/300 planes. I've bought 20 or so and then I've built one 1/144 paper Camel and hooked I was. I still have the 1/300 models waiting and bagged.

I understand. I'm used to wait 3 or more months some times, Nick.
    As for the bombers, when you put a 1/200 me-109 near a 1/144 Wellington you can see the difference I'll tell you.
    But that's me, there are others that don't mind the scale difference.
    I used to play 1/72 ww2 and when a tank was 1/76 sold as 1/72 I got angry...

You would think that with my mixing scales of ships for photographs it would not matter, but that is just for the effect of perspective.
    To use 144 bombers I would have to put them in the foreground of every shot which would restrict the game too much.
    i do not wish to sound ungrateful Nick, as it was very good of you to even take the trouble to find the bomber for me, but just as Quim says, in the case of scale I'm afraid that I am that anally retentive.
    Rob.

Found this Rob - used in the Med for 'special & secret' actions....

Spits on floats ! Just in case you want one in your inventory

Now what the heck is this?!?!? Spitfires on floats?!?!?? They are so beautiful.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Found this Rob - used in the Med for 'special & secret' actions....

Spits on floats ! Just in case you want one in your inventory
    Not a surprise, if you consider the origin of the spitfire was this plane: Supermarine_S.6B

Name:	800px-Supermarine_S.6B_ExCC.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	141120
    Mike

On 12 October 1942 the Spitfire floatplane made its maiden flight from Southampton harbor and initial test flights showed the need for a larger ventral fin. After more modifications, the Spitfire floatplane prototype flew again in January 1943 from Glasgow, Scotland, on its first RAF service trials. Fully loaded, the Spitfire floatplane only weighed 1,100 lbs more and only suffered a 40mph reduction in maximum speed, being capable of 324 mph at 19,200 feet. With a rate of climb of 400 feet/minute, it was less than a stock Mk.V Spitfire, but acceptable to the RAF. Surprisingly, there was only a modest reduction in maneuverability and test pilots found the Spitfire floatplane more maneuverable than any other floatplane. Handing both in the air and on the water was found to relatively easy during the service trials. Other than having to compensate for the torque of the engine on the takeoff run by applying 1/3 to 1/2 rudder, the RAF test pilots felt that the Spitfire floatplane could be easily flown by line pilots.
    In the summer of 1943, the RAF began planning for an operation that would utilize the Spitfire floatplane against the German garrisons on the Dodecanese Islands in the eastern Mediterranean off the coast of Turkey. Transport aircraft supplied the various garrisons and the plan was to use Spitfire floatplanes hiding at a small, uninhabited island in the area to attack the transport aircraft. A submarine would be used as a base and house the crews and between missions the Spitfire floatplanes would rest at their moorings next to the submarine under camouflage netting. Folland Aircraft was issued a contract to convert two more Spitfire Mk.Vs to floatplane configuration and after the flight testing of the two newer aircraft, all three three were partially disassembled and shipped to the RAF seaplane base at Fanara, Egypt, on the shores of the Great Bitter Lake. The prototype was found to have serious corrosion in the empannage and was set aside until Folland could ship a new tail to the base. The other two Spitfire floatplanes were assembled and test flown with the work finishing up in November 1943. Operational pilots were recruited from Spitfire crews assigned to the Middle East and they received brief seaplane conversion training on a Supermarine Walrus before converting to the Spitfire floatplanes. Four pilots underwent conversion training for the Dodecanese operation.

During training on the Egyptian lake, the pilots found that the floats leaked more than hoped and the aircraft had to be hauled out of the water to allow the floats to drain. Not an issue at a seaplane base, but at a submarine mooring on a small island in the Dodecanese Islands, it would be an issue. Pilots also found that the Spitfire floatplane only handling vice was trying to take off in crosswinds over 15 mph which was near impossible. Questions arose as to whether a suitable "secret" location could be found in the Dodecanese chain that would allow more flexible takeoffs. Discussions on the matter eventually proved to be moot as the Luftwaffe reinforced the area just a few weeks prior to the planned start of the operation. The four pilots were released back to their original Spitfire units and the three Spitfire Mk.V floatplanes were put in storage.

It wasn't quite the end of the story yet as during the spring of 1944 the idea of the Spitfire floatplane was re-examined for operations in the Pacific. Once again, the RAF asked Folland to convert a Spitfire and this time a powerful Mk.IX was chosen, making its first flight on 18 June 1944. With a more powerful engine, this version of the Spitfire floatplane could even outperform a standard land-based Hawker Hurricane. However, the pace of the war intervened again as the operational need faded and the Spitfire Mk.IX floatplane joined the other three Mk.V float planes in storage. Eventually all were scrapped, ending the story of a unique Spitfire variant that hearkened back to its roots as one of Reginald Mitchell's inspired Schneider Cup racing floatplanes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGSF A Mystery Project!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 17:55
  2. AAR Mission 12: Curiosity may kill. The Chequered Mystery.
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 09:59
  3. Solving an enduring aviation mystery?
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 00:19
  4. Battle of Britain pilot Mystery
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 08:58
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 13:51