Ares Games

Thread: Flight of Giants - A Question

Users Country Flag

Name
    Nigel Heather
    Sorties Flown

Default Flight of Giants - A Question

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to WOW - I have Famous Aces (cards only) and was wondering what to get next.

I had intended to get 'Watch Your Back' but can't find a copy anywhere and doesn't sound like it will be reprinted and distributed to the UK anytime soon.

Flight of Giants has been suggested as a more interesting alternative. It does look attractive to me and has the 'B' damage deck but having read the reviews I don't think it will work well with just Famous Aces.

From the reviews it sounds like the 'Giants' are big lumbering things that take a lot of punishment and dish out a lot of defence. One review talked about a duel involving 5 Camels. With that in mind it sounds like I won't have sufficient aircraft from FA to take on a Giant.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Nigel
    Last edited by nheather; 08-26-2010 at 04:34. Reason: typo

Flying against these behemoths is very different than the type of fights you have between scout planes. While different... it is still as challenging (perhaps more so) than your basic fighter on fighter encounters. There are smaller bombers in the Flight of Giants that aren't nearly as deadly as the Zeppelin Straaken, and with Famous Aces you have more than enough aircraft to challenge the Bombers.

I recall saying you planed on staying with just the cards when playing. If that is the case, my suggestion to you would be to get Flight of Giants to give you the much needed B damage deck. You could then pick whichever of the many card booster packs to increase the number of fighter planes you have while also adding in some normal two-seaters. This would be the most economical way of expanding your games.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Nigel Heather
    Sorties Flown

Many thanks.

Yes my initial thought is to stick with cards - whilst I like the idea of the minis, I also like the variety of different aircraft which would be pretty expensive with minis.

Having said that, one alternative I have only just considered is the new deluxe set due out soon. The reason is that, until now, I didn't realise it included a 'B' damage pack.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes, the WWI DS is a nice way to get the B deck if you are doing minis. You can still get the 1st version of the DS set online. It gives you a double A deck and the B damage deck as well as 4 minis and everything needed for the game.

Here is a good tread for new players just starting out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Nigel Heather
    Sorties Flown

Many thanks - yes I had already read that thread which is why I was going for WYB next. Perhaps it could be updated to slot FOTG in.

Distribution of any of the WWI products in the UK is very sparse at the moment - not seen any deluxe sets for some time.

Cheers,

Nigel

You may not be able to do fit out every scenario with Famous Aces and Flight of the Giants, but you'd do o.k. The solitaire scenario is 2 Bombers against 3 allied aircraft, for which you can use a Spad XIII, a Sopwith Camel, and a Sopwith Triplane. If you subbed out the second bomber for your remaining Albatros D.Va, that would probably be a decent multi-player scenario. And when you get around to buying Burning Drachens or miniatures, that should flesh out your aircraft selection enough for most purposes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

not seen any deluxe sets for some time.
    It's never officially been released in the UK - a few stores sourced them via Canada or continental Europe, but some bright spark at FFG decided not to order an English-language set when the deluxe first came out. The hopefully-coming-soon second edition deluxe set will actually be the first edition for GB / USA / Australia and NZ.

Craftorian

I just received FoG for my birthday and it is much more involved. I learn slowly and this was a big jump with all the additional components. That being said, I played with my seven yr old and he enjoyed it.

Andrew: Sorry to be so late, but, Happy Birthday. Dutchy

Similar Missions

1. Flight of the Giants bases?
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 17:00
  2. WGF: Flight of Giants
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 09:24
  3. Flight of the Giants quality control issues
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 19:44
  4. Flight of the Giants in my hands at last!
    By Snowy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 15:28
  5. Flight of the giants
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 21:28