Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats on your workbench for August?

Lightbulb Whats on your workbench for August?

I have a short list of planes. But a longer list of game aids for my three games for Guns Of August.

Three ME-110`s, a HE-111 , a JU-88 and a JU-87 all 144 scale and all for the desert.

Rich

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you there Richard. As for me I'm trying to finish up my 4 Valom SE5 kits. Thanks to Clipper1801 I may have props to convert a couple to the 4 blade version of prop, only the 2 blade version is included in the kit. Then I have some Shapeways coming. 4 Albatros DIII for some Jasta 12 birds, 4 Dr1, one for a Jasta 12 bird, 1 for Rabens blue craft, and the others yet to be determined, and lastly a Pfalz DIII that may end up as Aloys Heldmanns Jasta 10 purple/green camo aircraft. Will put up pics and such when they get done. Also have some 28mm US Marines en-route for Bolt Action, and some Aliens for Infinity to help my little girl paint. She loves the creepy aliens, whereas they give my wife the willies. Good luck to you all on your August projects. Eager to see whats going to show up.

The elves had a busy day while I was out to work . . .

They poured 2 Sunderlands, 6 Hortens, 5 Mossies and 6 Lysanders! I guess they will be getting extra G & T rations this week!

Two Italian Battleships and a cruiser, plus an HMS Ark Royal being converted to Illustrious.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Still 4 albatrosses D.III and 7 D.V, plus one AEG C.IV for my Jasta 12, and a few fokkers Dr.I and D.VII when I'm through with the black tails.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The elves had a busy day while I was out to work . . .

They poured 2 Sunderlands, 6 Hortens, 5 Mossies and 6 Lysanders! I guess they will be getting extra G & T rations this week!

Oooh, Mossies and Sunderlands!

At the moment 2 Whirlwinds, 2 Airacobras, 2 P51Cs, 2 P38s and 4 assorted Havocs. Quality stuff for the Royal Air Force! (And a bunch of SCW figures that I have grown bored with)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Currently, 2x Whirlwinds, 2x Spitfire V, and fingers crossed for a couple of twin engined FBs in the next few weeks

And the Airfix sink the Bismark set
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 08-12-2014 at 05:08.

2 x FE's, 1 x Pfalz DIII, 1 x Albatross DII, 2 x SE5a, 1 x RE8, 4 x Dauntless, 2 x Walrus, 3 x JU52, 5 x Hurricanes, 3 x Spitfires, 2 ME109, 2 x JU87, IJN Shinano, Bismark, 3 x specials (to be unveiled soon).
    See you on the Dark Side......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

In theory this is my workbench for August:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aug.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	139254

In practice, time will doubtless tell; life's not been overly accommodating lately, but hoping to at least put a dent in that lot, and maybe even give a few of them wingmen....

2 balloons, making them from scratch, 2 x 1 1/2 Strutter single seaters, 1 x Roland C II, 3 more Nieuport 11s, 4 x 1 1/2 Strutter 2 seaters, 2 FE2b, repainting 2 x Halberstadt D II/IIIs. 1 x Sopwith Pup.
    Mostly driven by the early war campaign but would have done them at some point later than sooner!

Well I've ordered a Albatross D.III from Shapeways, I'll be visiting my local hobby store two buy two Siemens Schuckert's and possibly two Gotha's for repaints.

6 hours of hard labor at the Zeppelin works, now we are ready to add the final decals and details . . . the type P's are cozy

The Height climbers are waiting for insignias and bases . . . next shift is tomorrow . . . looks like a good fishing catch . . .

Dave, as you seem to have something new on your workbench every other day or so, I think we should start another thread specially for you with the days of the week instead of just the month.
    Rob.

Unfortunately the August workbench is very similar to July. Well it now has building new beehive parts on the list as well as the efficient little workers are having a bumper summer.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Unfortunately the August workbench is very similar to July. Well it now has building new beehive parts on the list as well as the efficient little workers are having a bumper summer.

Ian
    Good thing you have bees; honeybees have been quite scarce out here the last few years.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Yes, a tough time for them recently but my hives are doing well. They live on the edge of the South Downs national park so no problem from pesticides. Its going to be a bumper harvest this year.

Ian
    Last edited by Womble; 08-11-2014 at 05:48.

Yes, a tough time for them recently but my hived are doing well. They live on the edge of the South Downs national park so no problem from pesticides. Its going to be a bumper harvest this year.

Ian

We have a local beekeeper that bought a vacant lot the next block down from me (the house was demolished as a nuisance) and had a solid fence put up. Being curious why someone would fence in an empty lot (no entrance to either the adjoining lots), I peeked through, and found an apiary.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ian

You make it sound like a real Bee Hive of activity!

Rich

Oh Beehive (behave).... geddit?

I'll get me coat....................

Maybe you need a squadron symbol?

Name:	Brecksville bees.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	140105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fighting bees.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	140106
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Maybe you need a squadron symbol?

Karl

God Lord man are you serious? Can you imagine how long it would take to paint that on the side of each bee?

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    God Lord man are you serious? Can you imagine how long it would take to paint that on the side of each bee?

Hahaha!

Ian

My late father had a fascination with bees in the early 80`s. He had four hives and a problem understanding their habits. He would try to check the hives when the bees really objected to it. One such day he wanted to check on them. He had on his suit and all the gear you needed. Somehow he pissed off the bees and they got in his suit. A hose finally chased the bees off of him but he had been stung at least 50 times. A trip to the hospital followed, he had badly swollen up from all the stings. The doctor advised him to find another hobby and leave bees alone!

Rich

Great stuff you guys have there. I Don't have nothing to work on.
    Thanks

Nick

Falls about laughing.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Ian

My late father had a fascination with bees in the early 80`s. He had four hives and a problem understanding their habits. He would try to check the hives when the bees really objected to it. One such day he wanted to check on them. He had on his suit and all the gear you needed. Somehow he pissed off the bees and they got in his suit. A hose finally chased the bees off of him but he had been stung at least 50 times. A trip to the hospital followed, he had badly swollen up from all the stings. The doctor advised him to find another hobby and leave bees alone!

Rich
    Hi Rich,

There's a saying among bee keepers," shame the bees don't read the books". They have a habit of doing the unexpected. I've only had one get in my suit resulting in a sting on the chin. At least they only get you once! On a hot day they ignore you, if it's going to rain soon it's a different story.

Ian

Mrs. K. asked me what I was laughing at, so I had to tell her about your thinking outside the hive.
    She suggested that it had given me a real buzz.
    Rob.

..... On a hot day they ignore you, if it's going to rain soon it's a different story....
    Harsh - get stung to bits and then realise it's going to rain as well !

The doctor advised him to find another hobby and leave bees alone!
    Put him out of beesness, did it?

" o/~ We found the Eastern Army drawn up out there in the mud,/
    And we closed with them and fought it out and turned it red with blood,/
    Oh, the fighting, it was vicious, as we closed in hand to hand,/
    And then we hit the beehive, and the corpses jumped and ran. o/~"
    ["Ode to Pennsic War IV, Michael Longcor]

Shopping list for today's job

Name:	DSC_0437.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	140272

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

One of my favorites; I wasn't in the SCA at that War, yet, but I can see it in my mind's eye

[QUOTE=csadn;302898]Put him out of beesness, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

The ode ones are always the best Chris.
    I really like this one.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    One of my favorites; I wasn't in the SCA at that War, yet, but I can see it in my mind's eye :)
    A pity there's no online version of Longcor's live performance with "footnotes" explaining some of the references -- the one concerning the aftermath of the Beehive Strike will leave tears in the eyes... for *more* than one reason.... >:)

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Most of the game projects I have been working on have been for Sails of Glory with the construction of wooden attitude indicators and some range rulers.

I was thinking about creating a wooden card caddy for the WW1 damage cards, but am not really sure about patterns and such. As it is, I might work on a couple of wooden range rulers for Wings as well.

Progress on the Italian fleet for Taranto at Doncaster is slow but steady.

Name:	DSC_5466.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	140474

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Progress on the Italian fleet for Taranto at Doncaster is slow
    It's bound to be - dredging the Don to a sufficient depth is no small endeavour....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    It's bound to be - dredging the Don to a sufficient depth is no small endeavour....
    No but it's surprising what you come across Dom.
    Here are a few examples.

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	140476

Name:	imagesG8UTQZ1F.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	140478

Name:	imagesUT6B05GX.jpg 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	140479

Name:	images874MKTU3.jpg 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	140477

Rob.

For me

2 x DH5
    2 x Sopwith Strutter 2 Seaters
    3 x JU88
    3 x Do17

a herd of Zombies for Zombiecide ( thanks Simon, you talked me into it )

Thumbs up

The desert Germans are done! All 144 scale of course. Starting with three Minicraft ME-110`s. A gaggle of ME-109 prepainted repaints, mostly renumbering. A Testors JU-87 old kit new decals, right out of the box. The bombers i finally coded a Big Bird HE-111, built an ancient Arii HE-111 and finished with a Minicraft JU-88.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0087.jpg   000_0090.jpg   000_0094.jpg   000_0093.jpg   000_0097.jpg  

000_0098.jpg   000_0101.jpg   000_0104.jpg   000_0109.jpg  

8th Army look out the Hun is on the way, oh and 1 Italian too!
    See you on the Dark Side......

The desert Germans are done! All 144 scale of course. Starting with three Minicraft ME-110`s. A gaggle of ME-109 prepainted repaints, mostly renumbering. A Testors JU-87 old kit new decals, right out of the box. The bombers i finally coded a Big Bird HE-111, built an ancient Arii HE-111 and finished with a Minicraft JU-88.

Rich
    Rich,
    There are a few cards for Bf-109s in my WWII Axis Fighters album, even one for Marseille (your Yellow 14).

Units and names for the others?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

My work bench will be

Russians
    2x IL 2's
    4x P-39's

Germans
    1x Stu a dive bomber
    1x Stuka "Tank Hunter"

Finns
    4x Bf 109's

Still need to order my 2x Ju88's for the Finns.

Also need to sort out the flight stands, gimbals and order decals for the Finns.

Cheers
    Alan

Mike

Most are just numbers from the decal collection! Most started out as Yellow 14!

Rich

Well that's a great bunch you have their Rich. All redirected away from their Malta objectives I hope.
    Rob.

Bob

Some may find their way into the Med a few over Malta. I know most of the Med planes were out of Sicily and had standard paint jobs.

Rich

Awesome looking planes - I love 'em all, but especially the 109s!

Peter

Thank you! Come on down to Williamsburg next week and fly some!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Lovely looking gaggle there - I particularly like the 109 schwarm, and kudos for the Italian Bf.110.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Guns of August August 23rd - 25th , 2013 Williamsburg Virginia!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 05:07
  2. What's on your workbench for August?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:29
  3. Before ordering from the shop... whats best
    By ldsdbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 03:07
  4. Whats on your bench for July?