Ares Games
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Years Ago Today

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    lol every time I log on to add something Rob has beaten me to it - guess that's why he is the Wingco.

Great work Rob (again)
    Chris... There are giants walking with us... Don't you know that?!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    That accounts for the size of my Mess bill then.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Yet, another very informative insight into the Guns of August period, Rob. Thanks for keeping us updated
    Just today I saw a newly printed B.Tuchman's phenomenal book on that on a bookshop shelve.
    It's an excellent book; complemented but not overtaken by later works.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That accounts for the size of my Mess bill then.
    Kyte.
    At least the G&T consumption is explained
    For myself, I whole heartily agree with Chris' comment
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

1st September 1914.

Western Front

The Action at Néry was a skirmish fought on 1 September 1914 between the British Army and the German Army, part of the Great retreat from Mons during the early stages of the First World War. A British cavalry brigade preparing to leave their overnight bivouac were attacked by a German cavalry division of about twice their strength shortly after dawn. Both sides fought dismounted; the British artillery was mostly put out of action in the first few minutes, but a single gun of L Battery, Royal Horse Artillery successfully kept up a steady fire for two and a half hours against a full battery of German artillery. British reinforcements arrived at around 8 am, counter-attacking the German forces and forcing them to retreat; the German division was routed and did not return to combat for several days. Three men of L Battery were awarded the Victoria Cross for their part in the battle, and the battery itself was later awarded the Honours title of "Néry", the only British Army unit to have this as a Battle honour.

Action at Villers-Cotterets: British 4th (Guards) Brigade checks German advance.
    Soissons bombarded and occupied by Germans.
    Lord Kitchener visits France to confer with the British Commander-in-Chief.

Eastern Front

East Prussia: General Russian withdrawal towards the Bug.
    Galicia: Battle of Lemberg goes against the Austrians.

Naval and Overseas Operations
    First unit of Indian Expeditionary Force "C" arrives at Mombasa (see August 19th and December 31st).
    General J. Stewart takes over command of British forces in East Africa

Political, etc.

Russia: St. Petersburg renamed "Petrograd".

Additional information:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g1c1n
    Rob.

Russia: St. Petersburg renamed "Petrograd".

Rob.
    Interesting. Similar to UK nobility giving up or Anglicizing their Germanic titles. And Berlin, Ontario changing the name to Kitchener, Ontario in 1916.
    A symptom that this was a cultural war as well?
    Karl

It was.
    It started in the nineteen century and ended in 1945.
    Science vs. mysticism.
    Atoms vs. Fire & Ice.

We all thought that science won. Now, I'm not so sure...

It was.
    Science vs. mysticism.
    Atoms vs. Fire & Ice.

just can't keep that old time religion down
    Karl

It was.
    Science vs. mysticism.
    Atoms vs. Fire & Ice.

In many ways, WWI signaled the shift from Modernism to Postmodernism. No longer could man believe in the inevitable progression of man and history; we weren't getting better and better.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    In many ways, WWI signaled the shift from Modernism to Postmodernism. No longer could man believe in the inevitable progression of man and history; we weren't getting better and better.
    In many ways we discovered that with better technology, the worst of us grow bigger. We had to create the Chart of Human Rights not because we were getting better, but because we were now capable of doing much worst. (Don't read this as absolut, please).

2nd September 1914.

Western Front

British forces withdraw to Chantilly-Nanteuil.
    Malines bombarded by the Germans.
    The first casualty figures are released for the British Expeditionary Force

Eastern Front

Galicia: Battle of Lemberg ends: rout of Austrians, who lose 130,000 men.
    : The Austro-Hungarian army abandons the city (Lvov in Polish, now Lviv, in Ukraine) under pressure from the Russian advance westward.
    Poland: Austrian advance checked at Lyublin.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

More than 20,000 Japanese troops land on the Shandong peninsula in North East China. Their target is the German port of Tsingtao (now Qingdao).

. three obsolete British Royal Navy Cruisers, manned mainly by reservists and sometimes referred to as the "livebait squadron", were sunk by one German submarine while on patrol.

Political, etc.

France: The government leaves Paris for Bordeaux
    In Germany, today is Sedantag, a semi-official memorial holiday commemorating King Wilhelm of Prussia’s victory over the French in the Battle of Sedan in 1870.

The US Treasury Department establishes the Bureau of War Risk Insurance to provide up to $5 million worth of insurance for merchant ships and their crews.

Rob.

3rd September 1914.

Western Front.

British expeditionary army/general Lanrezacs army attack the Marne.
    - French troops vacate Rheims.
    Germans reach and begin to cross the Marne: they occupy line Ville sur Tourbe-River Suippe-Chateau Thierry.
    Germans evacuate Lille.

Eastern Front.

Lemburg capital of Galicia, is taken after a three-day battle in which the Russians rout the Austrians.
    The Russians capture much booty.

Naval and Overseas Operations.

H.M.S. "Speedy" destroyed by a mine.

Political, etc.

Cardinal Giacome della Chiesa becomes Pope Benedict XV.
    Prince Wilhelm von Wied leaves Albania.

Rob.

4th September 1914.

Western Front.

Advance of German First Army towards Paris diverted in a south-easterly direction.
    German Army takes French city of Rheims.
    Belgians open dykes and stop a German advance on Antwerp.

Eastern Front.

Galicia: The Russians organize a government for the conquered regions.

in mid Atlantic, the German auxiliary warship SS Kronprinz Wilhelm scuttles the British cargo vessel “Indian Prince”.

Political, etc.

Great Britain: Mr Asquith at Guildhall justifies Britain's entry into the war.

With the war underway there was concern among the Entente Powers that none among them should attempt to negotiate a separate peace with the Central Powers thus gravely weakening the ability of the remaining belligerents to continue the war.Hence the 'No Separate Peace' agreement came about, agreed by Britain, France and Russia in Paris on 4 September 1914, barely a month into the war.

Declaration

M. Delcasse, Minister for Foreign Affairs, to the French Ambassadors and Ministers abroad.
    Paris, September 4, 1914
    The following declaration has this morning been signed at the Foreign Office at London:
    "The undersigned duly authorized thereto by their respective Governments hereby declare as follows:
    "The British, French, and Russian Governments mutually engage not to conclude peace separately during the present war.
    The three Governments agree that when terms of peace come to be discussed, no one of the Allies will demand terms of peace without the previous agreement of each of the other Allies."
    Signed:
    Paul Cambon
    Count Benckendorff
    Edward Grey
    This declaration will be published today.
    Delcasse

Rob.

4th September 1914.

[...]
    With the war underway there was concern among the Entente Powers that none among them should attempt to negotiate a separate peace with the Central Powers thus gravely weakening the ability of the remaining belligerents to continue the war.Hence the 'No Separate Peace' agreement came about, agreed by Britain, France and Russia in Paris on 4 September 1914, barely a month into the war.
    [...]
    Rob.
    Thanks for keeping up the good work in posting this. I knew nothing about the 'no separate peace' agreement. It helps to explain why the Tsar kept on with the war despite all the set-backs.

I try to find interesting bits like this Nicola, but unfortunately some days are just not that interesting.
    Rob.

5th September 1914.

Western Front.

Till the 12th Sept Battle of Marne begins French and British forces prevent German forces advancing on Paris
    French headquarters move to Chatillon-sur-Seine.
    General von Kluck at Rebais, about 35 miles due E of Paris, with 2nd Cavalry Corps scouting to southward NE Provins, with IVth, IIIrd, and IXth Corps pressing SE, and with IInd Corps covering his flank E of Paris, while IVth Reserve Corps covered Army to NE.
    Kaiser watched German attack on General de Castelnau's Second Army at the Grand Couronné, before Nancy.

German aeroplane raid on Paris.
    Allied retirement ended.

Eastern Front.

Masurian Lakes battle. Two Prussian Corps from W Front (26-viii-14) also in line on Hindenburg's Eighth Army Front against General Rennenkampf.

Grand Fleet after cruising for three days off NE Scotland and Norway proceeded to Loch Ewe to coal.

HMS Pathfinder torpedoed by U21 off east coast of Scotland. First warship sunk by submarine.
    British ss Runo mined off the Tyne; 29 lost.

British driven from Nsanakong in Cameroons, Germans following across Nigerian frontier.
    German attacks on Abercorn and Karonga, Northern Rhodesia failed.

Political, etc.

Proclamation prohibits Canadian mint from issuing gold coins.
    US President Wilson orders the US Navy to make its wireless stations accessible for any transatlantic communications - even to German diplomats sending coded messages; this will lead to the interception of the Zimmermann telegram, helping to bring the US into the war.

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-06-2014 at 00:24.

It's scary just how close the German army got to Paris. Good mention of the Zimmermann telegram. President Wilson's decision just goes to show how seemingly small decisions can have big unforeseeable consequences.
    Last edited by Nicola Zee; 09-05-2014 at 04:23. Reason: spelling

6th September 1914.

Western Front.

Battle of the Marne continues. General offensive by French and British.
    German advance also checked at Beauzec, near Verdun, and at Jezanville, near Pont-a-Mousson.
    Germans reach Provins, the most southerly point of their advance.

Eastern Front

Poland: The centre of Dankl's (Austrian) army broken at Krasnostav.
    Galicia: Beginning of Battle of Grodek (south-west of Lemberg) (continued till 12th).

Southern Front

Serbian Invasion of Syrmia begun: the Save crossed at Novoselo: Obres occupied: failure to take Mitrovitsa.

Cameroons: British reverse near Nsanakong.

Political, etc.

Great Britain: The Admiralty announce organization of a Royal Naval Division.

Of the threat from Turkey, Winston Churchill wrote:
    The price to be paid in taking Gallipoli would no doubt be heavy, but there would be no more war with Turkey. A good army of 50,000 men and sea power – that is the end of the Turkish menace.

Rob.

7th September 1914.

Home Front.

In Glasgow, Scotland, 1000 tramway men answer the call to arms and parade through the city streets seeking permission to become the first battalion from the corporation workforce (and later becoming the 15th Highland Light Infantry [Scottish Screen Archive]
    Further south, in England, recruits gathering in the market place are waiting to join what will become known as the “Preston Pals”.

Name:  4096333171_46a9b36578_z.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  87.4 KB
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
    Further south again, 700 men from the Lever Brothers factory at Port Sunlight are waiting for the train to take them off to enlist in Chester, where they too will parade.

Western Front.

Battle of the Marne (continued). Struggle on the Ourcq and Petit-Morin. Mauberge captured by the Germans with many prisoners and guns
    Second Austrian invasion of Serbia begins: the Drina crossed in force.
    Eastern Front
    Galicia: Fresh struggle round Grodek: Russian cavalry reach the Carpathians.

Southern Front

Second Austrian invasion of Serbia begins: the Drina crossed in force.

In the Far East, a German naval squadron, commanded by Graf von Spee severs the British Pacific communications cablebetween Banfield and Fanning Island by "Nurnberg".
    East Africa: German reverse near Tsavo.

Political, etc.

Sir John French's First Despatch as British Commander-in-Chief

September 7th, 1914
    My Lord: I have the honour to report the proceedings of the field force under my command up to the time of rendering this dispatch.
    1. The transport of the troops from England both by sea and by rail was effected in the best order and without a check. Each unit arrived at its destination in this country well within the scheduled time.
    The concentration was practically complete on the evening of Friday, the 21st ultimo, and I was able to make dispositions to move the force during Saturday, the 22nd, to positions I considered most favourable from which to commence operations which the French Commander in Chief, Gen. Joffre, requested me to undertake in pursuance of his plans in prosecution of the campaign.
    The line taken up extended along the line of the canal from Conde on the west, through Mons and Binche on the east. This line was taken up as follows:
    From Conde to Mons inclusive was assigned to the Second Corps, and to the right of the Second Corps from Mons the First Corps was posted. The Fifth Cavalry Brigade was placed at Binche.
    In the absence of my Third Army Corps I desired to keep the cavalry division as much as possible as a reserve to act on my outer flank, or move in support of any threatened part of the line. The forward reconnaissance was entrusted to Brig. Gen. Sir Philip Chetwode with the Fifth Cavalry Brigade, but I directed Gen. Allenby to send forward a few squadrons to assist in this work.
    During the 22nd and 23rd these advanced squadrons did some excellent work, some of them penetrating as far as Soignies, and several encounters took place in which our troops showed to great advantage.
    2. At 6 a.m. on August 23rd, I assembled the commanders of the First and Second Corps and cavalry division at a point close to the position and explained the general situation of the Allies, and what I understood to be Gen. Joffre's plan. I discussed with them at some length the immediate situation in front of us.
    From information I received from French Headquarters I understood that little more than one, or at most two, of the enemy's army corps, with perhaps one cavalry division, were in front of my position; and I was aware of no attempted outflanking movement by the enemy. I was confirmed in this opinion by the fact that my patrols encountered no undue opposition in their reconnoitring operations. The observations of my aeroplanes seemed also to bear out this estimate.
    About 3 p.m. on Sunday, the 23rd, reports began coming in to the effect that the enemy was commencing an attack on the Mons line, apparently in some strength, but that the right of the position from Mons and Bray was being particularly threatened. The commander of the First Corps had pushed his flank back to some high ground south of Bray, and the Fifth Cavalry Brigade evacuated Binche, moving slightly south; the enemy thereupon occupied Binche.
    The right of the Third Division, under Gen. Hamilton, was at Mons, which formed a somewhat dangerous salient; and I directed the commander of the Second Corps to be careful not to keep the troops on this salient too long, but, if threatened seriously, to draw back the centre behind Mons. This was done before dark.
    In the meantime, about 5 p.m., I received a most unexpected message from Gen. Joffre by telegraph, telling me that at least three German corps, viz., a reserve corps, the Fourth Corps and the Ninth Corps, were moving on my position in front, and that the Second Corps was engaged in a turning movement from the direction of Tournay.
    He also informed me that the two reserve French divisions and the Fifth French Army on my right were retiring, the Germans having on the previous day gained possession of the passages of the Sambre between Charleroi and Namur.
    3. In view of the possibility of my being driven from the Mons position, I had previously ordered a position in rear to be reconnoitred. This position rested on the fortress of Maubeuge on the right and extended west to Jenlain, southeast of Valenciennes, on the left.
    The position was reported difficult to hold, because standing crops and buildings made the siting of trenches very difficult and limited the field of fire in many important localities. It nevertheless afforded a few good artillery positions.
    When the news of the retirement of the French and the heavy German threatening on my front reached me, I endeavoured to confirm it by aeroplane reconnaissance; and as a result of this I determined to effect a retirement to the Maubeuge position at daybreak on the 24th.
    A certain amount of fighting continued along the whole line throughout the night and at daybreak on the 24th the Second Division from the neighbourhood of Harmignies made a powerful demonstration as if to retake Binche.
    This was supported by the artillery of both the First and Second Divisions, while the First Division took up a supporting position in the neighbourhood of Peissant. Under cover of this demonstration the Second Corps retired on the line Dour-Quarouble-Frameries. The Third Division on the right of the corps suffered considerable loss in this operation from the enemy, who had retaken Mons.
    The Second Corps halted on this line, where they partially entrenched themselves, enabling Sir Douglas Haig with the First Corps gradually to withdraw to the new position; and he effected this without much further loss, reaching the line Bavai-Maubeuge about 7 p.m. Toward midday the enemy appeared to be directing his principal effort against our left.
    I had previously ordered Gen. Allenby with the cavalry to act vigorously in advance of my left front and endeavour to take the pressure off.
    About 7.30 a.m. Gen. Allenby received a message from Sir Charles Fergusson, commanding the Fifth Division, saying that he was very hard pressed and in urgent need of support. On receipt of this message Gen. Allenby drew in the cavalry and endeavoured to bring direct support to the Fifth Division.
    During the course of this operation Gen. De Lisle, of the Second Cavalry Brigade, thought he saw a good opportunity to paralyze the further advance of the enemy's infantry by making a mounted attack on his flank. He formed up and advanced for this purpose, but was held up by wire about 500 yards from his objective, and the Ninth Lancers and the Eighteenth Hussars suffered severely in the retirement of the brigade.
    The Nineteenth Infantry Brigade, which had been guarding the line of communications, was brought up by rail to Valenciennes on the 22nd and 23rd. On the morning of the 24th they were moved out to a position south of Quarouble to support the left flank of the Second Corps.
    With the assistance of the cavalry Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien was enabled to effect his retreat to a new position; although, having two corps of the enemy on his front and one threatening his flank, he suffered great losses in doing so.
    At nightfall the position was occupied by the Second Corps to the west of Bavai, the First Corps to the right. The right was protected by the fortress of Maubeuge, the left by the Nineteenth Brigade in position between Jenlain and Bry, and the cavalry on the outer flank.
    4. The French were still retiring, and I had no support except such as was afforded by the fortress of Maubeuge; and the determined attempts of the enemy to get round my left flank assured me that it was his intention to hem me against that place and surround me. I felt that not a moment must be lost in retiring to another position.
    I had every reason to believe that the enemy's forces were somewhat exhausted and I knew that they had suffered heavy losses. I hoped, therefore, that his pursuit would not be too vigorous to prevent me effecting my object.
    The operation, however, was full of danger and difficulty, not only owing to the very superior force in my front, but also to the exhaustion of the troops.
    The retirement was recommenced in the early morning of the 25th to a position in the neighbourhood of Le Cateau, and rearguards were ordered to be clear of the Maubeuge-Bavai-Eth Road by 5.30 a.m.
    Two cavalry brigades, with the divisional cavalry of the Second Corps, covered the movement of the Second Corps. The remainder of the cavalry division, with the Nineteenth Brigade, the whole under the command of Gen. Allenby, covered the west flank.
    The Fourth Division commenced its detrainment at Le Cateau on Sunday, the 23rd, and by the morning of the 25th eleven battalions and a brigade of artillery with divisional staff were available for service.
    I ordered Gen. Snow to move out to take up a position with his right south of Solesmes, his left resting on the Cambrai-Le Cateau Road south of La Chaprie. In this position the division rendered great help to the effective retirement of the Second and First Corps to the new position.
    Although the troops had been ordered to occupy the Cambrai-Le Cateau-Landrecies position, and the ground had, during the 25th, been partially prepared and entrenched, I had grave doubts - owing to the information I had received as to the accumulating strength of the enemy against me - as to the wisdom of standing there to fight.
    Having regard to the continued retirement of the French on my right, my exposed left flank, the tendency of the enemy's western corps to envelop me, and, more than all, the exhausted condition of the troops, I determined to make a great effort to continue the retreat till I could put some substantial obstacle, such as the Somme or the Oise, between my troops and the enemy, and afford the former some opportunity of rest and reorganization.
    Orders were, therefore, sent to the corps commanders to continue their retreat as soon as they possibly could toward the general line Vermand-St. Quentin-Ribemont.
    The cavalry, under Gen. Allenby, were ordered to cover the retirement.
    Throughout the 25th and far into the evening, the First Corps continued its march on Landrecies, following the road along the eastern border of the Foret de Mormal, and arrived at Landrecies about 10 o'clock.
    I had intended that the corps should come further west so as to fill up the gap between Le Cateau and Landrecies, but the men were exhausted and could not get further in without rest.
    The enemy, however, would not allow them this rest, and about 9.30 p.m. a report was received that the Fourth Guards Brigade in Landrecies was heavily attacked by troops of the Ninth German Army Corps, who were coming through the forest on the north of the town. This brigade fought most gallantly, and caused the enemy to suffer tremendous loss in issuing from the forest into the narrow streets of the town. This loss has been estimated from reliable sources at from 700 to 1,000.
    At the same time information reached me from Sir Douglas Haig that his First Division was also heavily engaged south and east of Maroilles. I sent urgent messages to the commander of the two French reserve divisions on my right to come up to the assistance of the First Corps, which they eventually did.
    Partly owing to this assistance, but mainly to the skilful manner in which Sir Douglas Haig extricated his corps from an exceptionally difficult position in the darkness of the night, they were able at dawn to resume their march south toward Wassigny on Guise.
    By about 6 p.m. the Second Corps had got into position with their right on Le Cateau, their left in the neighbourhood of Caudry, and the line of defence was continued thence by the Fourth Division toward Seranvillers, the left being thrown back.
    During the fighting on the 24th and 25th the cavalry became a good deal scattered, but by the early morning of the 26th Gen. Allenby had succeeded in concentrating two brigades to the south of Cambrai.
    The Fourth Division was placed under the orders of the general officer commanding the Second Army Corps.
    On the 24th the French cavalry corps, consisting of three divisions under Gen. Sordet, had been in billets north of Avesnes. On my way back from Bavai, which was my "Poste de Commandement" during the fighting of the 23rd and 24th, I visited Gen. Sordet, and earnestly requested his cooperation and support.
    He promised to obtain sanction from his army commander to act on my left flank, but said that his horses were too tired to move before the next day. Although he rendered me valuable assistance later on in the course of the retirement, he was unable for the reasons given to afford me any support on the most critical day of all, viz., the 26th.
    At daybreak it became apparent that the enemy was throwing the bulk of his strength against the left of the position occupied by the Second Corps and the Fourth Division.
    At this time the guns of four German army corps were in position against them, and Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien reported to me that he judged it impossible to continue his retirement at daybreak (as ordered) in face of such an attack.

I sent him orders to use his utmost endeavours to break off the action and retire at the earliest possible moment, as it was impossible for me to send him any support, the First Corps being at the moment incapable of movement.
    The French cavalry corps, under Gen. Sordet, was coming up on our left rear early in the morning, and I sent an urgent message to him to do his utmost to come up and support the retirement of my left flank; but owing to the fatigue of his horses he found himself unable to intervene in any way.
    There had been no time to entrench the position properly, but the troops showed a magnificent front to the terrible fire which confronted them.
    The artillery, although outmatched by at least four to one, made a splendid fight, and inflicted heavy losses on their opponents.
    At length it became apparent that, if complete annihilation was to be avoided, a retirement must be attempted; and the order was given to commence it about 3.30 p.m.
    The movement was covered with the most devoted intrepidity and determination by the artillery, which had itself suffered heavily, and the fine work done by the cavalry in the further retreat from the position assisted materially in the final completion of this most difficult and dangerous operation.
    Fortunately the enemy had himself suffered too heavily to engage in an energetic pursuit.
    I cannot close the brief account of this glorious stand of the British troops without putting on record my deep appreciation of the valuable services rendered by Gen. Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien.
    I say without hesitation that the saving of the left wing of the army under my command on the morning of August 26th could never have been accomplished unless a commander of rare and unusual coolness, intrepidity, and determination had been present to personally conduct the operation.
    The retreat was continued far into the night of the 26th and through the 27th and 28th, on which date the troops halted on the line Noyon-Chauny-La Fere, having then thrown off the weight of the enemy's pursuit.
    On the 27th and 28th I was much indebted to Gen. Sordet and the French cavalry division which he commands for materially assisting my retirement and successfully driving back some of the enemy on Cambrai.
    Gen. D'Amade also, with the Sixty-first and Sixty-second French Reserve Divisions, moved down from the neighbourhood of Arras on the enemy's right flank and took much pressure off the rear of the British forces.
    This closes the period covering the heavy fighting which commenced at Mons on Sunday afternoon, August 23rd, and which really constituted a four days' battle.
    At this point, therefore, I propose to close the present dispatch.
    I deeply deplore the very serious losses which the British forces have suffered in this great battle; but they were inevitable in view of the fact that the British Army - only two days after a concentration by rail - was called upon to withstand a vigorous attack of five German army corps.
    It is impossible for me to speak too highly of the skill evinced by the two general officers commanding army corps; the self-sacrificing and devoted exertions of their staffs; the direction of the troops by divisional, brigade, and regimental leaders; the command of the smaller units by their officers; and the magnificent fighting spirit displayed by non-commissioned officers and men.
    I wish particularly to bring to your Lordship's notice the admirable work done by the Royal Flying Corps under Sir David Henderson. Their skill, energy, and perseverance have been beyond all praise. They have furnished me with the most complete and accurate information, which has been of incalculable value in the conduct of the operations. Fired at constantly both by friend and foe, and not hesitating to fly in every kind of weather, they have remained undaunted throughout. Further, by actually fighting in the air, they have succeeded in destroying five of the enemy's machines.
    I wish to acknowledge with deep gratitude the incalculable assistance I received from the General and Personal Staffs at Headquarters during this trying period.

September 17, 1914
    My Lord: In continuation of my dispatch of September 7th, I have the honour to report the further progress of the operations of the forces under my command from August 28th.
    On that evening the retirement of the force was followed closely by two of the enemy's cavalry columns, moving southeast from St. Quentin.
    The retreat in this part of the field was being covered by the Third and Fifth Cavalry Brigades. South of the Somme Gen. Gough, with the Third Cavalry Brigade, threw back the Uhlans of the Guard with considerable loss.
    Gen. Chetwode, with the Fifth Cavalry Brigade, encountered the eastern column near Cerizy, moving south. The brigade attacked and routed the column, the leading German regiment suffering very severe casualties and being almost broken up.
    The Seventh French Army Corps was now in course of being railed up from the south to the east of Amiens. On the 29th it nearly completed its detrainment, and the French Sixth Army got into position on my left, its right resting on Roye.
    The Fifth French Army was behind the line of the Oise, between La Fere and Guise.
    The pursuit of the enemy was very vigorous; some five or six German corps were on the Somme, facing the Fifth Army on the Oise. At least two corps were advancing toward my front, and were crossing the Somme east and west of Ham. Three or four more German corps were opposing the Sixth French Army on my left.
    This was the situation at 1 o'clock on the 29th, when I received a visit from Gen. Joffre at my headquarters.
    I strongly represented my position to the French Commander in Chief, who was most kind, cordial, and sympathetic, as he has always been.
    He told me that he had directed the Fifth French Army on the Oise to move forward and attack the Germans on the Somme, with a view to checking pursuit. He also told me of the formation of the Sixth French Army on my left flank, composed of the Seventh Army Corps, four reserve divisions, and Sordet's corps of cavalry.
    I finally arranged with Gen. Joffre to effect a further short retirement toward the line of Compiegne-Soissons, promising him, however, to do my utmost to keep always within a day's march of him.
    In pursuance of this arrangement the British forces retired to a position a few miles north of the line Compiegne-Soissons on the 29th.
    The right flank of the German Army was now reaching a point which appeared seriously to endanger my line of communications with Havre. I had already evacuated Amiens, into which place a German reserve division was reported to have moved.
    Orders were given to change the base to St. Nazaire, and establish an advance base at Le Mans. This operation was well carried out by the Inspector General of Communications.
    In spite of a severe defeat inflicted upon the Guard Tenth and Guard Reserve Corps of the German Army by the First and Third French Corps on the right of the Fifth Army, it was not part of Gen. Joffre's plan to pursue this advantage; and a general retirement to the line of the Marne was ordered, to which the French forces in the more eastern theatre were directed to conform.
    A new Army (the Ninth) had been formed from three corps in the south by Gen. Joffre, and moved into the space between the right of the Fifth and left of the Fourth Armies.
    While closely adhering to his strategic conception to draw the enemy on at all points until a favourable situation was created from which to assume the offensive, Gen. Joffre found it necessary to modify from day to day the methods by which he sought to attain this object, owing to the development of the enemy's plans and changes in the general situation.
    In conformity with the movements of the French forces, my retirement continued practically from day to day. Although we were not severely pressed by the enemy, rearguard actions took place continually.
    On September 1 st, when retiring from the thickly wooded country to the south of Compiegne, the First Cavalry Brigade was overtaken by some German cavalry. They momentarily lost a horse artillery battery, and several officers and men were killed and wounded.
    With the help, however, of some detachments from the Third Corps operating on their left, they not only recovered their own guns, but succeeded in capturing twelve of the enemy's.
    Similarly, to the eastward, the First Corps, retiring south, also got into some very difficult forest country, and a somewhat severe rearguard action ensued at Villers-Cotterets, in which the Fourth Guards Brigade suffered considerably.
    On September 3rd the British forces were in position south of the Marne between Lagny and Signy-Signets. Up to this time I had been requested by Gen. Joffre to defend the passages of the river as long as possible, and to blow up the bridges in my front.
    After I had made the necessary dispositions, and the destruction of the bridges had been effected, I was asked by the French Commander in Chief to continue my retirement to a point some twelve miles in rear of the position I then occupied, with a view to taking up a second position behind the Seine.
    This retirement was duly carried out. In the meantime the enemy had thrown bridges and crossed the Marne in considerable force, and was threatening the Allies all along the line of the British forces and the Fifth and Ninth French Armies. Consequently several small outpost actions took place.
    On Saturday, September 5th, I met the French Commander in Chief at his request, and he informed me of his intention to take the offensive forthwith, as he considered conditions very favorable to success.

Rob.

8th September 1914.

Home Front.

In Lancashire, in England’s North-West, the Accrington Observer & Times reports on the “Franco-British successes in Great Battle” (the Battle of the Marne) and the raising, locally, of a battalion of 1100 men, who will come to be known to history as the “Accrington Pals”.
    http://www.pals.org.uk/enlistment.htm
    Meanwhile, the “Daily Mail” reports: “A large firm of wholesale provision merchants, Messrs. Sainsbury, advertised for 200 single women to replace a portion of the 500 of the firm’s employees who have joined the colours”.

Western Front.

At Tournan-en-Brie, near the French front line – Thomas James Highgate, a farm labourer from Kent aged 19, becomes the first British soldier of World War 1 to be executed for desertion. (Posthumously pardoned with around 300 others in 2006

Southern Front.

Austrian forces begin second invasion of Serbia (see august 25th and December 15th).

The former White Star Line transatlantic ocean liner, the RMS Oceanic – recently re-commissioned as an armed merchant cruiser and renamed HMS Oceanic – runs aground off Foula in the Shetland Islands and (eventually) has to be scrapped.
    Torpedo hits the SY Sheelah
    HMS (formerly RMS) Oceanic, sister ship of RMS Titanic, sinks off Scotland
    General Sir John Maxwell takes over command of British forces in Egypt (see March 19th, 1916).

Political, etc

For extra information:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=8t...ed=0CDIQsAQ4Cg

http://www.penguin-news.com/

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-08-2014 at 12:48.

8th September. News Bulletin Late Extra.

This link covers the last two days of the Battle of the Marne in more detail for those of you who are real masochists.

http://1914ancien.free.fr/edmoch17.htm

Rob.

Depressing, Rob... Very depressing...

9th September 1914.

Home Front.

The creation of the Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade, the first fully mechanized unit in the British Army.

Western Front.

Battles of the Western Front: German Advance Blocked at the Marne
    Belgian offensive from Antwerp.

Eastern Front

Conducted between 9-14 September 1914, the First Battle of the Masurian Lakes (of two, the second in February 1915) was the second victory of the war by the Germans over the Russian army, the first occurring at Tannenberg in late August.

Affairs near Karonga (Nyassaland). First important fighting.
    Defence of Abercorn (Rhodesia) ends. German force retreats (see 5th).
    First units of Indian Expeditionary Force "A" arrive at Suez (see 19th).

Political, etc.

Meeting held at Gaelic League headquarters between Irish Republican Brotherhood and other extreme republicans; initial decision made to stage an uprising while Britain is at war.
    Turkish Government announce abolition of "The Capitulations."

Rob.

10th September 1914.

Western Front.

Battle of the Marne ended. Germans retreat on west and centre.
    Pont-a-Mousson evacuated by Germans.

Eastern Front.

Poland: Dankl defeated in second Battle of Krasnik, Archduke Joseph defeated at Opole.

Southern Front.

Syrmia: Serbians occupy Semlin.

East Africa: Germans occupy Kisi.
    "Emden" makes first appearance in Bay of Bengal.

Rob.

11th September 1914.

Western Front.

Pursuit of the Germans from the Marne: the French recover Epernay, Chalons, etc.
    Second Battle of Lemberg ends (see 8th).

Eastern Front.

Galicia: Russians close in on Grodek.
    Austrian forces in Galicia retreat (see October 3rd).
    Serbian advance in Syrmia abandoned (see 6th and 17th).

Southern Front.

Serbia: Fierce battle with Austrian invaders at Krupani.

Australian Expeditionary Force lands on the Bismarck Archipelago (German New Guinea). Australian expedition captures Herbertshohe.

Political.

British Government issue orders for the raising of the second New Army of six divisions (see August 21st and September 13th).

Rob.

September 12th 1914.

Western Front.

September 12 - October 24: First Battle of Aisne followed by the 'Race to the Sea', where Allied and German troops continually outflank each other to the north-west until they reach the North Sea coastline.

Troyon: Germans compelled to raise siege. General von Kluck at Juvigny. Position warfare began on front of German First Army which in some thirty days had marched and fought over 375 miles from Aix to E of Paris and thence back to Aisne.
    General von Einem to command German Third Army vice General von Hausen.
    General von Heeringen's Seventh Army (which like German Sixth Army on Moselle, had failed before Epinal) transferred from St Dié to Aisne to close gap between First and Second Armies.
    General von Deimling's XVth (Prussian) Corps transferred from Lorraine to Aisne on new Seventh Army front.
    Germans in position along Aisne evacuated Reims. Siege of Troyon raised by Crown Prince's retirement. French reoccupied Lunéville.

Belgian sortie from Antwerp threatens German communications.

Eastern Front.

Galicia: End of Battle of Grodek and Rava Russka: total defeat of Austrians; Grodek captured. Russians evacuated Tilsit. Prussian 3rd Reserve Division reached Suvalki.
    Vistula-Dniester Battle ended. Austrian rout.

Poland: Austrians try to cross the San under heavy fire.

Southern Front.

Syrmia: Serbians occupy Jarak.

. HIMAMC Spreewald captured by HMS Berwick in North Atlantic.
    HIMS Hela torpedoed and sunk by HM submarine E9 six miles SSW from Heligoland.
    HIMSs König and Grosser Kurfürst (25,390 tonne battleships), having joined High Sea Fleet, Admiral von Ingenohl, German C-in-C at Wilhelmshaven, asked German Admiralty Staff to authorise transfer of 3rd High Sea Squadron to Baltic, in order to exercise new ships in waters free from submarines.

East Africa: Germans defeated and driven from Kisi (Nyassaland).

Political.

Sir J French at Fčre-en-Tardenois.

Rob.

13th September 1914.
    Western Front.

Allies recover Soissons and force the passage of the Aisne there.
    Amiens recovered by the French.
    Germans begin to drive the Belgians back into Antwerp; Battle along line Aerschot-Malines.

Name:  sketch_Ainse battle map.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  243.1 KB

* Spot the anomaly on the map.

Eastern Front.

East Prussia: Russians turn on their pursuers and defeat them at Sredniki near the Niemen.

Southern Front.

Serbians and Austrians fighting in both Serbia and Syrmia.

Tsing-tau: Japanese capture the railway at Kiao-chau town.

Solomon Islands: Australian troops capture Bougainville.
    "Hela", German cruiser, sunk by British submarine E-9.

Political, etc.

Germany: Herr von Bethmann-Hollweg's reply to Mr. Asquith's Guildhall speech of Sept. 4 published.

Extra information:-
    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...es_aisne1.html

Rob.

14th September 1914.

Western Front.

Battle of the Aisne begins (continued till Sep. 28).
    Germans halt on the Aisne and north of Reims.
    Heavy fighting round Missy and Vailly.

Eastern Front.

Poland: Russians force the passage of the San in pursuit of Dankl's beaten army.

Southern Front.

Bosnia: Vishegrad taken by Serbians and Montenegrins.

South Africa: Union forces surprise and defeat German's at Raman's Drift.
    "Cap Trafalgar" sunk by H.M.S. "Carmania" (east coast of South America).

Political.

German staff-of-chief Helmut von Moltke replaced by Erich von Falkenhayn

More information:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_the_Aisne
    http://www.westernfrontassociation.c...tter-1914.html

Rob.

15th September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: Heavy German counter-attacks: Soissons shelled.
    The Argonne: Germans begins slow advance, continued to 21 October.
    Arras occupied by Germans.
    In the wake of the Battle of the Marne—during which Allied troops halted the steady German push through Belgium and France that had proceeded over the first month of World War I—a conflict both sides had expected to be short and decisive turns longer and bloodier, as Allied and German forces begin digging the first trenches on the Western Front on September 15, 1914.

Eastern Front.

East Prussia: Russians prepared to resist German puruist on the Niemen.
    Bukovina: Russians occupy Czernowitz.

Southern Front.

Serbia: Austrians pushed back across the Drina save at a few points: their second invasion of Serbia suspended.

South Africa: Meeting of rebels at Potchefstroom.
    Delarey accidentally shot on his way thither with Beyers.

Rob.

16th September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: General Joffre abandons frontal attacks and forms plan to turn the German right.
    Germans enter Valenciennes.
    16th September 1914 - First battalion of British part-time territorial troops, the 1/14th Battalion, London Regiment –known as the London Scottish– lands in France.
    The first searchlights are used over London.

Name:  Searchlights over London 16th September 1914.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  18.4 KB

Eastern Front.

Galicia: Russians advance towards Przemsyl

Commonwealth.

The 16th Battalion AIF was raised from 16 September 1914, six weeks after the outbreak of the First World War. Three-quarters of the battalion were recruited in Western Australia, and the rest in South Australia. With the 13th, 14th and 15th Battalions it formed the 4th Brigade commanded by Colonel John Monash.

Rob.

17th September 1914.

Western Front.

Malines – Aerschot Battle ended. Belgians retired on Antwerp.
    General von Beseler's Antwerp Army Group formed.
    General Bridoux, who had taken over General Sordet's 1st Cavalry Corps, killed in a raid on German communications E from Roye.
    French Sixth Army regained ground between Soissons-Compičgne.
    British before Chemin-des-Dames repelled Germans. French lost Craonne. French Ninth Army fell back on Reims.
    The Aisne: Heavy fighting around Soissons.

Southern Front.

Syrmia: Serbians evacuate Semlin.

HMS Erin joined Grand Fleet, which once more put to sea.
    HMS Fisgard II lost off Portland.
    French Adriatic Squadron bombarded Lissa and Pelagosa
    Small British force at Nakob (GSW Africa) overcome by German raiders.

Political.

Mr Churchill, First Lord of Admiralty, accompanied by Admiral Sturdee, Chief of War Staff, Commodore S Keyes, and Commodore T Tyrwhitt, conferred at Loch Ewe with Admiral Jellicoe, and discussed bombardment and capture of Heligoland. All Flag Officers except one opposed. Large scale operations in Baltic also discussed.
    General Beyers dismissed from his command.
    Sir John French's second dispatch (published 19 October).
    http://www.1914-1918.net/french_second_despatch.html

Rob.

18th September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: Heavy fighting round Noyon and Reims.
    Battle of Aisne ends with Germans beating French.

Eastern Front.

Gen Paul von Hindenburg named commander of German armies on
    Poland: Russians take Sandomierz.

South African troops land in German South West Africa.
    British occupy Luderitz Bay (which Germans had evacuated militarily on 10 August).

Political, etc.

Great Britain: Parliament prorogued: King George's speech.
    Irish Home Rule bill receives Royal assent
    Mr. Asquith's Edinburgh speech.

Rob.

19th September.

Western Front.

The Aisne: Strong general German attacks: also on the Meuse forts (Verdun).

Admiral Troubridge recalled into enquiry into escape of "Goeben" and "Breslau".

Political, etc.

Mr. Lloyd George's speech to Welshmen on German barbarities.

Rob.

20th September.

Western Front.

The Aisne: bombardment of Reims Cathedral.

Eastern Front.

East Prussian Frontier: Russians abandon Augustovo: Germans lay siege to Osovyets.

Southern Front.

Quietude in the Balkan theatre of war.

H.M.S. "Pegasus" disabled by German cruiser "Konigsberg" at Zanzibar.

Rob.

21st September.

Western Front

21st. Began 3 days of German Sea Plane Air attacks on Dover.

The Aisne: French recover Noyon and advance to Lassigny in effort to turn the German right wing.Troyon again attack.

Eastern Front.

East Prussian Frontier: Germans reach the Niemen.Galicia: Russians take Jaroslau.

Political, etc.

Mr. Winston Churchill's Liverpool speech.

Rob.

22nd. September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: A day of comparative calm.
    Dusseldorf: sheds raided by British airmen.

Eastern Front.

Galicia: Russians approach Przemysl.

South Africa: Botha assumes command in place of Beyers.
    "Emden" bombards Madras.
    "Scharnhorst" and "Gneisenau" bombard Pepeete (French Tahiti).
    H.M.S.'s "Aboukir", "Hogue" and "Cressy" sunk by submarine.
    More information:-
    http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/raid_madras.html

Rob.

23rd. September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: The battle extends northward along the River Oise.
    The Admiralty announce that a highly important and successful raid on the Zeppelin airship sheds at Düsseldorf has been carried out by aeroplanes of the British Naval Wing.

Southern Front.

Bosnia: Serbians and Montenegrins make progress towards Sarajevo.

Naval and overseas operations.

British force joins Japanese army before Tsingtau [Force landed September 22nd ; in action September 24th.] (see 2nd, and November 7th).
    The regiment that would eventually become the 8th Light Horse Regiment was formed at Broadmeadows camp in Victoria on 23 September 1914.

Political, etc.

Great Britain: Impending end of Moratorium announced.

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-23-2014 at 14:34.

23rd. September 1914.

Political, etc.

Great Britain: Impending end of Moratorium announced.

Rob.
    Could you expand on this please?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Could you expand on this please?
    Karl
    Here are the details from Hansard on what the Moratorium involved Karl.

Rob.

CURRENCY AND BANK NOTES BILL.

HL Deb 06 August 1914 vol 17 cc443-8 443 § Brought from the Commons.
    *THE MARQUESS OF CREWE My Lords, I am now in a position to make a statement to the House upon two distinct but kindred subjects connected with the finances of the country—first, the extension of the Moratorium, which we were entitled under the Postponement of Payments Act passed two days ago to extend by Proclamation; and the further point of this Currency and Bank Notes Bill which has just come up to us from another place, and which I shall ask your Lordships to pass through all its stages. As regards the extension of the Moratorium, the House will easily understand that for one particular class of persons adversely affected by the Moratorium relating to bills of exchange in the first Proclamation some relief becomes necessary. There are obviously persons who, if that Proclamation had not been issued, would have become entitled to funds which would have enabled them to meet other payments which they are equally obliged in their turn to make, and, their debtors being relieved by Proclamation from paying them, they also stand in equal need of relief.
    But it is, as a matter of fact, found that we have to go a great deal further 444 than that. There is a large number of persons of all ranks who find that the sources from which in ordinary circumstances they would obtain funds to meet their obligations are now dried up, and they are therefore not in a position to pay. It is no easy matter to attempt to discriminate between the different kinds of liabilities, and it has therefore been decided to make this Moratorium general in its scope, but with certain far-reaching and important exceptions which I will explain to the House. First, as to the form of relief. It is this. It gives the right to all persons who come within its scope to delay for a month the payment of liabilities which fall to be paid before the 4th day of September next in respect of a contract made before the 4th day of August; but this right is subject to the necessity of paying interest at the Bank Rate on Friday—to-morrow's Bank Rate—on the debt which remains unpaid for the period for which the payment is delayed. The House will see that it is necessary to oblige this payment of interest in order to prevent persons taking advantage of the Moratorium who have no real need for doing so, and presumably if they can pay they will do so rather than pay interest. The hope is that this period of a month will give debtors whose affairs are so dislocated by these events the chance of looking round and making such arrangements as they best can.
    Business is really in quite a sound condition, and therefore it may be hoped that a very large number of people who owe money will be able to make those arrangements. The House will also remember, if this period should not prove to be long enough, that there is a power to extend the Moratorium still further if it should be required. The bankers, as I stated yesterday, desire to carry on their ordinary business in their usual way; but there is one restriction which bankers find it necessary to place upon depositors, if there are such depositors—and, of course, there may be some—who desire to withdraw gold for the mere purpose of locking it up in their private safes, not for the needs of their business, but simply in order to hoard it up, and upon those the Government quite agree some restriction ought to be placed. The Proclamation has no effect on the Proclamation relating to bills of exchange. That stands just as it did. But the Proclamation now says that all 445 payments which become due and payable any day before the beginning of the 4th day of September in pursuance of any instrument which was drawn before the 4th day of August shall be deemed to be payable a month later.
    Then comes the important point of the exceptions. The Proclamation does not apply to any payment in respect of wages or salaries. It does not apply to any small liability, the limit which we have fixed being Ł5. The particular matter which we had in mind in respect of the fixing of the sum at Ł5 was that of small rents which are paid weekly. It would be undesirable and no good to anybody if a man who is in employment and receiving his weekly wages, quite possibly undiminished by the crisis, should be excused for a month from payment of his weekly rent. It would be hardly fair to expect him to put by the money and to be required to pay the month's rent at the end. On that account, and in connection with other small payments of a similar kind due from people of small means, we have fixed a Ł5 limit. Then no Moratorium is given in respect of rates and taxes, or in respect of maritime freights. It is not given in respect of any debt to any person resident outside the British Isles, unless the debt is incurred by a person, firm, or company, or any kind of institution, which has a branch business in these islands. It also does not apply to dividends on trustee securities. That is an important consideration which the House will no doubt note. It does not apply to the liability of a bank on the issue of notes—those banks which are issuing banks. It does not apply to any payment made by His Majesty's Government, including old-age pensions; or to any payment made by any person or society in respect of the Insurance Act, or any payment under the Workmen's Compensation Act, or any payment in respect of the withdrawal of deposits by a depositor in a savings bank. Those are the exceptions, which, as I said, are fairly wide, and I hope that the House will agree that they are reasonable.
    The Proclamation will be issued at once, and I think it cannot be doubted that it will afford a great deal of relief to a large number of persons who have found themselves, through no fault of their own, in some difficulty in meeting their obligations owing to the crisis. The House will 446 remember what I said yesterday with regard to the part taken by the banks, that the banks desire and intend that business conducted by cheques which pass through the Clearing House should go on precisely as usual; and I can once more repeat that they have done their best to assist us throughout this crisis. We have been continuing our discussions at the Treasury with representative bankers, including also bankers from Scotland and Ireland, whose particular position has, of course, added no little difficulty to the arrival of a satisfactory solution. I stated yesterday that it was decided to issue a large number of Ł1 and ten shilling Government bank notes. This will provide fairly small change for the payment of wages and for like purposes; and there is a tremendous demand at this moment for currency of a smaller denomination than five-pound notes which will be met in that way.
    The issue of these notes is not, of course, an object in itself, and it does not in itself meet all the present needs of the financial situation. What it does is it enables the banks to do so. The House is well aware that the Bank Act limits the issue of notes to the amount of gold which the Bank holds, plus a certain proportion, a comparatively small amount, in securities. We sweep away for the time being that restriction, and it is fair to note that the Bank of England has always been far more in leading strings under the Bank Act than most of the foreign banks of a similar, though not identical, position in their issue of notes. The Bank of France, I understand, has an infinitely wider power in issuing notes than the Bank of England has unless the Bank Act is suspended. The same applies, I think, to most of the other great Continental countries. The proposition is now that the Bank of England, and also the banks of issue in Scotland and Ireland, which, as noble Lords know, are numerous, should have powers of the same kind as the great banks have on the Continent of Europe, subject to restrictions imposed by letter from the Treasury. That is to say, if the country desires an extended currency that currency can be obtained by application to the Treasury if the Treasury think it safe to grant it.
    But I must again remind the House, as I did yesterday, that this extension of power of issue has nothing whatever to do with 447 suspension of cash payments. The paper that is issued will be for all purposes equivalent to, and in case of need can be exchanged for, gold at the Bank of England; and that, of course, draws a sharp dividing line between the two steps of suspending the Act and of announcing an infinitely more serious step, the suspension of cash payments. It is hoped, however, and I think it is a most reasonable request to make, that for the ordinary purposes of life people who in an ordinary way would ask for five or ten pounds in gold will for the time being take that money in paper. Nothing is lost by doing so. For a vast number of purposes these notes will be every whit as convenient as sovereigns and half-sovereigns, and we hope to find that the public will take kindly to them; so that all persons of any influence can do the State a service by pointing out the fact that for all purposes these notes are just as good, and that an excessive amount of gold in circulation has not the same strengthening effect on our credit as it has if it is at the Bank of England or obtainable by the Bank of England. Then, any bank notes issued by a bank of issue in Scotland or Ireland become legal tender, and such a bank of issue is only placed under the obligation to pay cash for its notes on demand at the head office of the bank. That provision is no real hardship on anybody, and it will be found to be a great convenience to those banks in Scotland and Ireland which have a great number of small country branches. I think those are all the points that I have to mention in relation to the Currency Bill. I move that the Bill be read a first time.
    § Moved, That the Bill be now read 1Ş.— (The Marquess of Crewe.)
    § VISCOUNT ST. ALDWYN My Lords, I have no desire to detain your Lordships with any detailed comment, and certainly not with any detailed criticism, on this Bill. It is a very serious matter, I am sure, in the minds of the Government and in the minds of all those who consider the high financial position which this country has occupied in the world, that a Bill should be necessary to enact a Moratorium in Great Britain and to issue a large amount of paper currency through the suspension of the Bank Charter Act. But having myself had the honour, as chairman of a committee of the leading bankers of the country, to be in com- 448 munication—I might say constant communication—with His Majesty's Government during the past five days and having entered fully into all the details of this matter, there is only one thing to be said, and that is that such a measure is absolutely necessary at the present moment. We hope that the necessity for it may not long endure. We believe that the good sense and cool heads of the British public will enable them to face the position in a manner which will make it easy for the banks, for the Government, and for every one connected with the finance of this country to carry this country safely through; and I am quite sure that everybody concerned, whether they be bankers or whether they be traders or members of the ordinary public, will do their very best in the crisis which is upon us, on behalf of the country which we all desire to support at this moment of trouble.

24th. September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: The battle tends to stalemate.
    Peronne occupied by the Germans.

Lieutenants D.S. Lewis and B.T. James use airborne radio for the first time in warfare. Both members of No.4 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps, were involved in directing an artillery shoot from the air during the 1st Battle of the Aisne. Their radio log begins "A very little short. Fire! Fire!" And ends 40 minutes later with "I am coming home now".

The British had equipped very few of their airplanes with wireless and they were used to report troop movements. It was only natural for aviators to recognize the advantage of observing artillery fire On 24 September, Lieutenants B.T. James and D.S. Lewis detected three well-concealed enemy gun batteries that were inflicting considerable damage on British positions. They radioed back the location of the batteries, then droned in a wide circle, waiting to spot their own gunners exploding shells. Anti-aircraft fire was desultory and inaccurate. The German Army used only percussion shells, which, according to Canadian sources, "not one in several hundred ever hit its aerial target, and fell to earth frequently at some point in the British lines and there burst."

Eastern Front.

Galicia: Przemsyl invested by the Russians.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres.

Tsing-tau: British force arrives at Laoshun to assist the Japanese.

Kaiser Wilhelm's Land (New Guinea): Australians occupy town of Friedrich Wilhelm.

A footnote because it involves my own village of Gedling, and I pointed out the place to Andrzej when we passed it yesterday.

It is 100 years since Middle-earth began. The earliest glimpse of any character or situation from his mythology was in a poem, ‘The Voyage of Éarendel the Evening Star’, which J.R.R. Tolkien dated 24 September 1914. He wrote it at the home of his aunt Jane Neave, Phoenix Farm in Gedling, Nottinghamshire.

Name:  ed45c225-7255-41a7-a998-00e86bb5aac5-bestSizeAvailable.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  40.7 KB

JRR. in his service uniform.

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-28-2014 at 01:14.

Western Front.

The Aisne: Reims again bombarded.
    Battle of Albert begun by the Germans to prevent encirclement.
    Noyon and Lassigny taken from the French.
    Camp-des-Romains and St. Mihiel on the Meuse taken by the Germans.

Eastern Front.

East Prussian Frontier: Russians driven across the Niemen, which they proceed to defend.

Political, etc.
    Hindenburg placed in command of combined Austro-German offensive in Poland and Galicia.
    Great Britain: Mr. Asquith's Dublin speech: appeal to volunteers.

Rob.

Australian Imperial Force's 2nd Infantry Brigade marching through Bourke Street, Melbourne, Friday, 25th September 1914.

Name:  Australian Troops..jpg
Views: 803
Size:  203.5 KB

26th. September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: Local combats only.
    Battle of Albert: Fierce fight from Oise to Somme.
    St. Mihiel: Vain German efforts to cross the Meuse.
    Siege of Antwerp begun by the Germans.
    Indian troops land at Marseilles.

Eastern Front.

East Prussian Frontier: Battle of the Niemen (26-28 September): Vain German efforts to cross.
    Siege of Osovyets: Vain German assaults.
    Galicia: Russians occupy Rzeszov.

Tsing-tau: German outposts driven in.

South Africa: British reverse at Sandfontein.

Further information:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sandfontein

Rob.

27th. September 1914.

Western Front.

The Aisne: Battle dying down.
    Battle of Albert: Heavy fighting continued.
    Malines occupied by the Germans.

The first battle of Artois, 27 September-10 October 1914, was part of the Race to the sea, a series of encounter battles that set the line of the Western Front for most of the First World War. After static warfare developed on the Aisne, both Joffre and Falkenhayn began to search for troops they could use to turn the northern flank of the line, between the Aisne and the coast. Both found their armies in Lorraine. Joffre moved Castelnau's Second Army to the area south of Amiens, Falkenhayn moved Crown Prince Rupprecht's Sixth Army to St. Quentin.
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

The Race to the sea.
    The two armies first clashed in Picardy (22-26 September) and around Albert (25-29 September), without success. The search for an open flank moved further north, towards Arras. Two infantry and one cavalry corps from the French Second Army, under the command of General Maud’huy, were detached and sent north. Once at Arras they found a relatively open flank, populated at most by detachments of German cavalry, and began to advance north east, up the river Scarpe, towards Vimy. There was now a sizable gap between the northern and southern elements of the Second Army, protected by a force of French territorial troops.
    On 28 September Falkenhayn ordered Prince Rupprecht to attack Arras. Rupprecht in his turn decided to attempt to outflank the French position at Arras, and on 3 October sent his reserve corps north of the city and the IV cavalry corps even further north towards Lille. He also pressed the line of territorials south of the city.
    The German attack caused a crisis. By the end of 4 October Maud’huy was in serious danger of being cut off. He had lost contact with his cavalry to the north, and a gap had developed on his southern flank. He signalled to Joffre that he would have to retreat, and asked which direction to withdraw. Joffre was worried that if this happened, Castelnau would retreat south of the Somme, abandoning the valuable industrial areas of northern France.
    Joffre responded by reorganising the northern armies. Maud’huy’s detachment was formed into a new Tenth Army. The Second and Tenth armies along with any other troops in the area were grouped together, and General Foch appointed to command them, as Joffre’s deputy. Finally, Castelnau was ordered to hold his ground.
    Foch made a lightning tour of his new command. Over the next two days he visited the British, Belgians as well as Maud’huy and Castelnau. His energy reinvigorated the Allied defence around Arras, and by the end of 6 October the crisis was over. Falkenhayn turned his attention further north, to Flanders and the only possible open flank. There he would encounter the British at Ypres and the Belgians on the Yser, and the Race to the Sea would end in a draw.

Eastern Front.

Galicia: Russians press on towards Cracow and the Carpathian Passes.

Naval.

A British naval force at the entrance to the Dardanelles ordered a Turkish torpedo-boat to turn back. The Turks then closed the straits, laid mines, switched off the lighthouses and put up warning signs along the cliffs.

Rob.

28th. September 1914.

Home Front.

This morning the Malvern Chum's Company (120 strong) of the 8th (Res) Battalion, Worcs Regt paraded at the Drill Hall, and marched to Great Malvern Station leaving for Worcester at 9:40am. The Malvern platform and bridge were flocked with relatives and friends of the departing men. Cheers were raised as the train steamed out to the accompaniment of a salvo of fog signals. The Company, arrived at Foregate St Station where they lined up and marched to HQ to the tunes of "Tipperary" and "Who's your lady friend?".

Western Front.

German forces move into Antwerp Belgium.
    Malines also taken by German forces.
    Distinctive markings on German aircraft first reported.

Naval.

Cormoran, German, Bussard class Light Cruiser
    Taku, German, Taku class Torpedo Boat
    Scuttled at Tsingtao.

Political.

Lieut.-General Sir A. Barrett appointed Commander-designate of Indian Expeditionary Force "D" for Mesopotamia (see November 13th).

Rob.

29th. September 1914.

Home Front.

The Accrington Pals in training.

Name:  Accrington pals4.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  100.8 KB

Western Front.

Yser: Germans take Ramscapelle.
    The Belgians open the sluices of the canal.
    Heavy fighting round Festubert (La Bassee).

Egypt: Bedouin tribes raid the frontier.

Turkish Fleet attacks Odessa, Novorossisk, and Theodosia, and sinks Russian destroyer, etc.

Political, etc.

Great Britain: Lord Fisher appointed First Sea Lord.
    Turkey enters the war on the German side.

Rob.

30th. September 1914.

Western Front.

Battle extends northwards round Roye and Arras.
    New French army concentrated round Amiens and Lens.
    French occupy Lille.
    Antwerp: Waterworks destroyed.

Eastern Front.

Germans entrench south of Kyeltsi (south-west Poland).

Tsing-tau: German destroyer sunk in the harbour.

Naval.

German light cruiser Emden continues her activities in the Indian Ocean. Five more British ships have been captured by her, four of them sunk, and the fifth sent with other vessels’ crews to Colombo. About a fortnight ago the Emden destroyed six British steamers in the Bay of Bengal and a few days later bombarded Madras, setting on fire a large stock of oil. Attached to the China squadron when war began, the German cruiser escaped unobserved into Indian waters. Her latest victims are small vessels, the biggest displacing little more than 4,000 tons.

Rob.

1st. October 1914.

Home Front.

The first division of Canadian troops, 33,000 sail for Britain; most Canadians are volunteers, anxious to prove their loyalty to the Commonwealth.

Western Front.

Battle round Roye: Vain German efforts to break French line.
    St. Mihiel: French destroy bridge made over Meuse.
    Antwerp: Fort Waelhem silenced.
    B.E.F. begins to leave the Aisne and move west and the north.

Eastern Front.

East Prussian Frontier: Russians recover Augustovo and begin a nine-days' attack (Battle of Augustovo) on the retreating Germans.

Political, etc.

Italy: Protest against Austrian mine-laying.
    Turkey: Closing of the Dardanelles.
    The Prince of Asir, the southern region of Arabia, rises in revolt against the Turks; his actions will inspire other Arab leaders to revolt.

Further information.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ntwerpIII.html
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...9141001.2.14.4

Rob.

2nd. October 1914.

Home Front.

First Bttn Sherwood Foresters on 2 October 1914 : moved to Hursley Park and came under orders of 24th Brigade in 8th Division.

Western Front.

Battle round Arras: French hard pressed.
    Antwerp: Belgians retire across the Nethe: Germans occupy Termonde.

Eastern Front.

East Prussian Frontier: Russians recover Mariampol.

Southern Front.

Bosnia: Serbians and Montenegrins renew their advance towards Sarajevo.

East Africa: British victory at Gazi.
    H.M.S. "Cumberland" captures nine German liners, etc., in Cameroon River.

Political, etc.

Great Britain: Mr Asquith's speech at Cardiff disclosing German proposals to Britain in 1912.
    Rob.

3rd. October 1914.

Western Front.

Ypres occupied by the Germans.
    Antwerp: Fall of outer defences: Legations leaving.

Eastern Front.

Beginning of First Austro-German invasion in force for capture of Warsaw.
    Germans take over command of Austrians.

North Sea: British Admiralty notifies the laying down of a defensive mine-field.
    The British cargo ship Dawdon struck a German mine and sank in the North sea 10 nautical miles (19 km) north west by west of the Wandelaar Lightship Belgium with the loss of ten of her crew.

First Canadian Troop convoy leaves for Britain.

Additional info:-
    http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/1s...1914diary.html

Rob.

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. 100 up today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2018, 01:05
  2. 68 years ago today - A Warning to New York
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:54
  3. 100 years ago today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club