Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Machine Gun fire range ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    When you model, you have to play fast and loose with reality.
    Painting the medal ribbon onto a 10mm soldier using a magnifying glass is pointless.
    No one else will see it. Over stress colours and shade otherwise it won't show up.
    With this, I think we must accept it for what it is, a marker which also gives a better impression of fire power than a ruler does. It is a vast improvement on what we had, but when all is said it has to be fit for purpose. ie. gaming with.
    For the purist you can always Photoshop in the shooting and Photoshop out the bases, cards and pegs.
    How many games will we see as AARs if we do that every time I wonder.
    I just applaud the initiative and ingenuity of James to try and improve the visual effects without going over the top with his presentation.
    Rob.
    Sorry if I'm a little late too this, but I couldn't agree with the skipper more, it's all in the impact (if you excuse the pun). Oh yeh and you could always make a short range one (that was a definite DOH! moment for me ).
    P.s. On the 10mm soldier bit, unless it's your bag, I like painting in the waffenfarbe on my 15's, tried tank destruction badges... It's all about getting the impression right.
    Pps. The rulers look amazing!
    Last edited by Twisted_terrain; 12-10-2014 at 23:47.

Glad you posted this Si. It has reminded me that I need to make some of those for my AARs.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hayes

This is awsome good work!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Never thought of that! Thanks for the Heads Up.
    I have done this, but the AA prop is still about 2 mm shorter than the official cardboard ones.
    Personally I don't care, I have 4 AA props so we all have the same range

I was inspired by your creative idea. Thought I would give it a go. I would love some feedback if you have some to offer. I tried to go for the firing machine gun look with the smoke trails for the rounds. I made mine a little longer than the actual ruler length but the second run might be regulation measurements.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	212309

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Glad you posted this Si. It has reminded me that I need to make some of those for my AARs.
    Rob.
    Still need to make them!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. ruler: how long?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 15:38
  2. Using the X-Wing game range ruler in WoW/G
    By Horse4261 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 20:24
  3. Range Ruler
    By Pseudotheist in forum WGF: General Discussions