Ares Games

Thread: Planes On A Train: Wings of Glory + Amtrak = Winning

Default Planes On A Train: Wings of Glory + Amtrak = Winning

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  145.7 KB

Took the family on a trip on Amtrak's Coast Starlight from Southern California up to Seattle and Portland. We brought Wings of Glory along and had some great dogfighting in both the Pacific Palour Car and the Lounge Car (pictured above). I modded my RAP box with Figure Foam trays so it can easily carry four planes and all cards and accessories. It worked out great! We meant to bring a mat as well but forgot... only regret. Anyways WGF makes a great travel game and generated interest from other passengers.

Steve

Thank you for sharing Steve!

Doesn't the vibration from the moving train cause the miniatures to bounce all over the playing area?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by richarddaystrom View Post
    Doesn't the vibration from the moving train cause the miniatures to bounce all over the playing area?
    I was thinking the same thing - if I was to do that on a train here I'd be worried about them slipping about, especially when the trains tilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrkev View Post
    I was thinking the same thing - if I was to do that on a train here I'd be worried about them slipping about, especially when the trains tilt!
    Agreed, no "inertia dampers" on these planes lol

Agreed, no "inertia dampers" on these planes lol
    What we need is grab mat temporally blue tacked in the base hollow. Any one seen a transparent Grab mat?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I bet with a game mat the planes wouldn't slide around.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks for the positive reception, all

Regarding the train's movement affecting play: while the plastic bases could slide around quite easily on the smooth table surfaces, when the train rocked and bumped along, the planes didn't move around much at all. Certainly not enough to impact gameplay. Having one of the mats along would be ideal, but it was more than playable as it was.

The Lounge Car tables are the biggest, whereas the Pacific Parlour Car were smaller - around the size of a single mat. Both were quite good although we found that the faster planes, like the SPAD XIII, were tricky - you had very little room to maneuver! The Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.1 were good, and of course slower early war planes like the Eindecker, Nieuport and similar would be fine / ideal.

All in all, a great way to enjoy a fine game and wonderful scenery!

The vibrations on the train aren't nearly that bad -- the big problems occur when passing over "points", or some of the sharper corners when _Coast Starlight_ is up in the mountains. Other than that, the only difficulty is finding a table which hasn't been occupied....

The saving-grace of _WoG_ is: Cards on a table are far less noisy than rolled dice.

(Why, yes, I have done this before -- why do you ask? ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The saving-grace of _WoG_ is: Cards on a table are far less noisy than rolled dice.

(Why, yes, I have done this before -- why do you ask? )
    "Horror on the Orient Express" RPG?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post

Took the family on a trip on Amtrak's Coast Starlight from Southern California up to Seattle and Portland. We brought Wings of Glory along and had some great dogfighting in both the Pacific Palour Car and the Lounge Car (pictured above). I modded my RAP box with Figure Foam trays so it can easily carry four planes and all cards and accessories. It worked out great! We meant to bring a mat as well but forgot... only regret. Anyways WGF makes a great travel game and generated interest from other passengers.

Steve
    So, is that the little bugger who keeps shooting me down on RoF ?

Great images Steve! Looks like you had a lot of fun. Hey Chris, you play RoF? Nice choice
    Thanks

Nick

Ahhhh more realistic game play - wind turbulence!

Thumbs up

Great stuff Steve!
    Did you get any onlookers?

Well done, Steve! Would fitting magnets to the bases help or are the tables plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    So, is that the little bugger who keeps shooting me down on RoF ?
    Yup! And he's even better at WGF than he is at RoF!!

P.S. we just watched The Blue Max for the first time the other night - now we have a face to put to your name

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great stuff Steve!
    Did you get any onlookers?
    Yes, we got a few, but they didn't stay long. Have had more lasting interest at local coffee shops; I suspect it's rather hard / blocking for other passengers to linger around the tables on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Well done, Steve! Would fitting magnets to the bases help or are the tables plastic?
    Not sure what the tables are made from but I don't think magnets would help. The planes really did quite well, but one of the WGF mats would be ideal and would just about perfectly cover the table, especially in the Pacific Parlour Car.

Yup! And he's even better at WGF than he is at RoF!!

P.S. we just watched The Blue Max for the first time the other night - now we have a face to put to your name

No need to bring my old avatar back then. How did you like the movie ?? I was a little younger than your son when I first saw it way back in '65

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    No need to bring my old avatar back then. How did you like the movie ?? I was a little younger than your son when I first saw it way back in '65
    The flying and trench scenes were amazingly well done. The story was... kinda "meh" and a felt bit forced IMHO.

Full disclosure: we were playing a game of WGF at the same time so I wasn't paying much attention when there weren't planes in the air.

Steve

i love it!!! so do these qualify as the fastest moving ACTIVELY USED wgf minis in the world now???

ps i sense a new thread........

I am impressed

A game to play from airplanes to submarines, and every where in-between

Fantastic Steve, combines my two favorite things, trains and games!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    "Horror on the Orient Express" RPG?
    Karl
    Worse -- _Dragon Dice_.... >;)

This is where having a party of four comes in really handy -- one need not worry about confusing the Mundanes on the train with involved tactical discussions....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Worse -- _Dragon Dice_.... >

This is where having a party of four comes in really handy -- one need not worry about confusing the Mundanes on the train with involved tactical discussions....
    Yeh, the uninvolved, uninitiated generally don't understand when you talk about finishing off the survivors, and looting their bodies
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Yeh, the uninvolved, uninitiated generally don't understand when you talk about finishing off the survivors, and looting their bodies
    Karl
    Or worse, planning the heist....

"Is there a problem, officers?"

Well now we know how portable the game is. Have to think about that if I would take a cruise. Wings at Sea.

My modded RAP box works amazingly well... use it all the time for all our games, both home and afield. It holds 4 planes and all decks and accessories.

I've detailed its construction here for anyone interested: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post297174

My travel set goes everywhere with me.
    Even had a game with Dragon one and two on holiday in Spain last year.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. National: Wings of Glory & Sails of Glory al MACRO giovedě
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 06:08
  2. Wings of Glory Series II (IV) - Planes - the poll
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 06:33
  3. TORPEDO STRIKE - possible Expansion for Wings of Glory: Planes
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 08:55
  4. Wings of Glory Series II (IV) - Planes?
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 00:49
  5. Site: Congrats to Dutchy for winning the Multi Player Mission Contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 18:15