Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British Nieuports

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Fellow Nieuport repainters,

When you guys attached the roundels for the underside of the upper wing - Did first remove the struts and then punch them through the roundel after it was applied, or did you cut round the struts on the roundel?

/Niclas
    Getting the top struts out is a dicey job. It is easier to cut a slot in thr roundel and then fudge in the missing bit.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Getting the top struts out is a dicey job. It is easier to cut a slot in thr roundel and then fudge in the missing bit.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob - Good tip, just in time (had the top wing in the freezer, preparing for strut-removal)!

/Niclas

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    I've done myself a flight of British Nieuport 17s using Dom's roundels and letraset lettering. I know they are not strictly accurate, but I'm happy with them.

An unfortunate case of matt varnish turning white is all too eveident on the two front planes.
    Thats very nice work Tony! Well done although I think the Silver colour could be a lighter shade say GWs Boltgun Metal or Chainmail.

Nice job Barry!

Edit: Ooops! Nice job Tony!
    Last edited by Guntruck; 05-23-2011 at 05:40.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Looks like Barry has just moved the roundels over a bit to avoid the problem of the struts. Seems like a good compromise to me.
    Rob.

Lightbulb

Looks like Barry has just moved the roundels over a bit to avoid the problem of the struts. Seems like a good compromise to me.
    Rob.
    Thanks Chaps but they were Tony's Aircraft & not mine!!!
    I only replied to his post regarding the Silver colour he had used.
    Must give credit where credit is Due!

Were you chaps just exiting the Officers Club when you posted those?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    No! we had actually been ensconced in there all weekend, and were about to slide gracefully under the table.when Gunners said to me " Nice job by Barry". After that it all went blank

Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Might have been.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

So, here's my Ball, at last.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bishop3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	30028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bishop2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	30029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bishop1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	30030

Everything that could possibly go wrong whit this repaint pretty much has, but over Christmas at decided to try to save the little project. This went at least ok - Until I managed to somehow assemble my airbrush incorrectly, so that it emptied a bucket load of varnish all at once, leaving the model dripping in the stuff. I couldn't quite save it from the effects of that, but at least it's finished now.

/Niclas
    Last edited by Niclas; 12-30-2011 at 05:53.

Looks very nice to me! Glad you stuck with it and finished it!

I cheated. Used the Shapeways N.17 and printed my own decals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n17.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	30053

The "I" is hidden in shadow, but you can just make out the side roundel and "A". And the tip of the red nosecone.

Don't know if I'd call that cheating - Nice bunch of Nieuports you've got there Zoe!

Do you print white decals (how?), or or on white paper and then cut around?

Most of my decals are from Dom's. The "A" & "I" are cannibalized from a couple of 1/72 models and cut down to size (*&#%-fiddly!). The serials for the tail I printed.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Do you print white decals (how?), or or on white paper and then cut around?
    On white paper and cut. For things like complex curves, roundels etc I print a border a few pixels wide of approximately the same colour as the background, so the cutting doesn't have to be exact. For example, the interior of the "A" is about 2 shades too brown, but it's not apparent without a magnifying glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    On white paper and cut. For things like complex curves, roundels etc I print a border a few pixels wide of approximately the same colour as the background, so the cutting doesn't have to be exact. For example, the interior of the "A" is about 2 shades too brown, but it's not apparent without a magnifying glass.
    Oh Zoe! The fun of matching backgrounds.
    I try to get exact matches, and you can count on what looks an exact match when tried on ordinary paper, is never quite the same when printed on the semi gloss of the decal paper.
    I always end up having to dodge in with the background colour up to the lines. this does help with the white raw edge that you seem to get with the white decal paper, but of course don't matter if the border is going to be white anyway.
    Thanks for the extra input once again.
    Rob

Oh Zoe! The fun of matching backgrounds.
    I try to get exact matches, and you can count on what looks an exact match when tried on ordinary paper, is never quite the same when printed on the semi gloss of the decal paper.
    Yes
    I
    Know

She says through gritted teeth, muttering very unladylike phrases under her breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Yes
    I
    Know

She says through gritted teeth, muttering very unladylike phrases under her breath.
    I guessed as much Zoe. Not that I ever had you down as unladylike, however.
    Rob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Nieuports, SE5a & Jamage.
    By flash in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:19
  2. German Ground Attack on British Tank Assault
    By krolik in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 12:18
  3. PHOTOS OF BRITISH BALLOON SUPPORT VEHICLES
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions