Ares Games

Thread: AAR Scenario 3 --- Japanese invade Malaya & Attack Targets in New Guinea--gully_raker

Post AAR Scenario 3 --- Japanese invade Malaya & Attack Targets in New Guinea--gully_raker

As I am playing the Campaign in the Pacific & New Guinea & have no Hurries or Gladiators this AAR is based on an actual encounter on the 30th April 1942 between Zero's & Bell Aerocobras of the 39th Fighter Squadron USAAF based in Port Morseby New Guinea.

PART ONE:--- The Alert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 Coastwatcher.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	138680

Colin MacCullan the Australian Coastwatcher at Kavieng radioed to H.Q. Port Morsby to alert them to a force of Japanese Zero's & Val Dive Bombers headed in their direction presumably to target Port Moresby or even Darwin again which had already been under many attacks.

H.Q contacted the C.O. of the newly arrived American 39th Fighter Squadron which was the sole defence available apart from some Hudson Bombers which could hardly be considered as fighter cover.
    Major Lane Frost called his pilots to a briefing whilst the ground crews quickly fuelled & armed the Squadrons Aerocobras.

Name:	WW2 Briefing US Pilots.jpg 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	138681

Name:	WW2 Bell New Guinea.jpg 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	138683

One section of the Squadron would be led by 1st Ltn Hoyt Eason a native of Ohio who was already an Ace & veteran with 2nd Ltn John Mangas a relative new chum, but not a Rookie, as his wingman.

Eason was still grumbling about the oppressive humidity that caused the pilots to sweat constantly.
    They flew without any jackets & even the May West flotation gear was uncomfortable.

Name:	WW2 Bell P 39 pilot.jpg 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	138684

Climbing into their Bell fighters the pilots quickly took off & turned towards the North East.

Name:	WW2 Bell Aeracobra taking off.jpg 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	138685

PART 2 ---The Mission:

Having been given the expected direction the Japs would come from the Americans flew up between the Mountains of the Owen Stanley Ranges & headed for the small port of Lae on the far side of the Island.

Sure enough as they approached Lae from the West they saw three enemy Aircraft heading for the Port probably as a Navigation check.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 001.JPG 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	138686

As the two groups of aircraft closed range Hoyt identified 2 Zekes & a Val flying between them.
    He called his Wingman on the radio & instructed him to attack the Val while he headed for a spotted camo Zeke coming in his direction.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 002.JPG 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	138687

Hoyt was surprised to see the Jap aircraft headed straight towards him at maximum speed. Knowing to turn away from a frontal attack was sure destruction he held his nerve until the last moment & let fire with all his guns as the Japanese pilot did likewise.
    Only his great reaction & evasion ability saved him from mutual destruction as the Jap fighter plunged to the ground shredded by his accurate shots however the enemies bullets had caused his engine to start smoking but a quick check of the dials showed nothing apparently wrong.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 003.JPG 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	138688

Meanwhile John Mangas also flew towards the Val & the speed of the Aerocobra resulted in neither aircraft able to fire & they passed very close to each other & Mangas immediately used his speed & manoeuvrability to move out of range of the Val's rear gun.
    Hoyt had also used his aircraft's ability to close on the slower dive bomber & gave it a good spray from close distance & was gratified to see smoke issue from its engine

Name:	WW2 dogfight 008.JPG 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	138689

He now flew around the rear of the Jap two seater & looked around to see where Mangas & the other Zeke were situated. The Zero had started to move towards the fighting & John was performing an Immlemann turn to return to the dogfight.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 009.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	138690

Name:	WW2 dogfight 010.JPG 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	138691

As the Val attempted to break away from Eason's Aerocobra Hoyt was able to use its ability to get in another burst of accurate fire. The Val shuddered & & crashed to the ground.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 011.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	138692

"Yee Haaar!" Shouted Hoyt over the RC "Scratch two little Nips!"--- "Well done skipper" called Mangas! "Now I want one!"

Name:	WW2 dogfight 012.JPG 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	138693

John Mangas now followed the remaining Zero which was heading for Hoyt determined to avenge his fallen comrades.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 013.JPG 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	138694

Using his superior speed Mangas was able to attack the Zeke from the rear quarter & saw that his shots had damaged the Zero's engine.
    "That will slow the Nip down" thought John "I might just get lucky & bag me a Kill!"

Name:	WW2 dogfight 014.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	138695

Name:	WW2 dogfight 020.JPG 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	138702

As the Zero moved away hampered by his damaged engine the pilot obviously decided he had no option but to try to nurse his stricken plane for home base John was able to get a perfect broadside into the Japanese aircraft.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 015.JPG 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	138696

The damaged Jap aircraft continued & John passed closely astern noticing the Pilot turning to look at his attacker.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 016.JPG 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	138697

As the Zero made best possible speed John started turning as tightly as the Aerocobra would go trying to get on its tail.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 017.JPG 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	138698

Hoyt now got into the action but did not do any serious damage to the enemy aircraft.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 018.JPG 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	138700

John also tried a long range deflection shot but it went wide. Would the brave Japanese Pilot escape?

Name:	WW2 dogfight 019.JPG 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	138701

It was not to be as Mangas was able to close on the damaged Zero & a final long range burst sent the Zero into the ground.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 022.JPG 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	138704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 dogfight 021.JPG 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	138703

The two victorious pilots returned to Port Moresby & did twin barrel rolls over the strip.
    It was a small victory against what had been up to now an unstoppable foe with numerical & technological superiority.
    The Officers mess proudly toasted the Squadrons insignia with cold Aussie beer that evening.

Name:	WW2 35th Fighter Sqd USAAF.jpg 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	138705

The Butchers Bill:

Zero No.1 SD/ET

Name:	WW2 dogfight 004.JPG 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	138706

Val dive bomber: SD/ET

Name:	WW2 dogfight 012.JPG 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	138693

Zero No.2: SD/ET

Name:	WW2 dogfight 022.JPG 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	138704

Bell Aerocobra 1st Ltn Hoyt Eason Veteran, Ace--Evasion, RTB/2 Kills

Name:	WW2 dogfight 023.JPG 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	138707

Bell Aerocobra 2nd Ltn John Mangas, RTB 1 Kill.

Name:	WW2 dogfight 024.JPG 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	138708
    No damage!

COMMENTS:

Well that turned out very differently from what I expected.
    I flew Easons Aerocobra & all others were AI. I gave the Zero's 15 points damage instead of the usual 12 for early war models due to the "D" cannons on the Bell's however the "D" did not do any real damage, apart from the 8"wounded pilot" hit on the first Zeke, due to the large number of zeros in the chits.
    I think I was just lucky with the dice rolls for the AI moves as they worked well but the Aerocobras deck gave me some great firing opportunities.
    I was of course extremely lucky that Eason had the evasion ability as I was able to avoid the fire damage chit drawn in the first head on pass with the spotted Zero. Without that it would have been a different kettle of fish.:D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WW2 Bell Aeracobra plus Mechanic.jpg  
    Last edited by gully_raker; 11-14-2014 at 17:09.

A superb AAR Baz.
    The intro set the scene well, but I thought you were up against it.
    Your AI did sterling work, and the outcome was unpredictable to the last.
    i thought the Jap might make good his escape.
    Look forward to the next installment.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Beware the cobra's strike eh Baz - great stuff !

Superb opener Baz. The Airocobra has a deadly strike. Stat sheet amended. Won't roll for the enemy pilots as they all went down in enemy territory.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great After Action Report.

Now that the Walrus is finished it is going to get an outing for this shindig. Plus the 2 Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe's and a few others to flesh out the scenario.

I'm sure that will be well worth seeing Neil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent AAR, Baz. Good work with the 'Cobras - they're magnific!

Trying to get a second Walrus done for the AAR. I did want to get the lot done but 1 for now and the others as a group later will have to suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm sure that will be well worth seeing Neil.
    Rob.

Great AAR with a superb setup, Barry.

Why didn't I posted earlier an comment?

Those Aircobras have a nasty armament.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

You have probably just been too busy Sven & there have been so many AAR's to follow.

I loved this AAR! Excellent story and nice pictures!

And 'Cobras proved they are deadly opponents.

Similar Missions

1. WGS Malaya/New Guinea - 1/200 AIM Nakajima Ki-43-II Hayabusa 'Oscar', JAAF
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2017, 15:12
  2. WGS Malaya/New Guinea - 1/200 AIM Kawasaki Ki-48-IIb 'Lily', JAAF
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 04:49
  3. Scenario 3: Attack Transport Fleet
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 11