Ares Games

Thread: OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916

Post OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916

Despite endless artillery barrages and mounting casualties, HQ is ordering another push. This one will be supported from the air - but we'll see what good it does.

This mission is a recon mission, with lots of other "events" taking place. I hope to capture a little of the chaos of battle.

Set Up
    The Attackers
    1 Recon plane, probably better to use one using something faster than an X deck, also preferably a two seater.
    2 Scouts.

You can pilot any of the three.

Also 1 other scout, from a different squadron, AI flown.

The Defenders
    2 Scouts, and 1 X deck two seater that arrives later.

The Battlefield
    Attackers will start 1 and 1/2 rulers away from the defending trench line. 4 trench cards, running parallel make up the trench complex. Approximately 1/2 ruler behind them, 3 defensive balloons; 1 north, 1 south, and 1 in the center. 1 ruler behind that, 3 possible HQ target cards; 1 ruler north, 1 center, and 1 ruler south. 1 ruler behind that, 2 artillery cards; each just under 1 ruler apart, 1 to the north, 1 to the south.

The AI Friendly scout will start on the south end between the trench line and the southern balloon. The Enemy Flight will start 1/2 ruler behind the center balloon and approximately 1/2 ruler north.

Confused yet? Good! A picture to help out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1-E.jpg 
Views:	911 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	138638

The Objective
    Photo Reconnaissance of the HQ target and 1 artillery battery. Return to base by turn 10 before the ground offensive starts. To recon the target, play a stall over the target.

Order of Battle
    The mission begins with fog covering the battle field. When you set off, you are unsure of where the enemy HQ actually is. Reports place it in the area, but its possible that it lies slightly to the north or south of your position. You'll have to wait for the fog to clear to be able to spot it and continue the mission.

Before your flight has arrived, a friendly aircraft has been assigned to attack the balloons in the area. He has already made one pass at the balloons. During the game he will fly a northernly course until he leaves the battle. He will only make one pass and exit the battlefield to the north. He should generally fly straights, but of course if you have to substitute for damage or to avoid collisions, help him out a bit. Since he has already made one pass at the balloons, calculate the damage to the balloons as follows:
    For the North balloon and South balloon, roll 1d6. Multiply the result by 3 to get the damage. For the Center balloon, roll 1d6, and multiply the damage by 4. After that, roll 1d6 to determine which balloon is on fire. 1-2 the Northern balloon; 3-4 the Center balloon; 5-6 the Southern balloon.

All events below occur at the beginning of the turn.
    Turn 1: Fog covers the ground, only air to air combat, no trench or AA firing.
    Turn 2: Fog covers the ground, only air to air combat.
    Turn 3: Fog has lifted. Roll 1d6 to determine where the enemy HQ lies. 1-2 to the north; 3-4 in the center; 5-6 in the south. You may remove the other cards which are not the enemy HQ.
    Turn 4: Trenches become active, can fire per the rules.
    Turn 5: AA counters are placed, fire after maneuver #2. See below for special rules on this. Also enemy two seater enters the battle field from the point where you started. The enemy two seater is returning from its own mission and will fly a course to get home. It will fight if needed, but its main goal is to get home.
    Turn 6: Nothing.
    Turn 7: AA counters are placed, fire after maneuver #2.
    Turn 8: Nothing.
    Turn 9: AA counters are placed, fire after maneuver #2.
    Turn 10: Nothing.

At the end of turn 10, the ground offensive begins.

Special Instructions for AA fire
    I have always been a little unhappy with the solo rules for the AA fire. So these are the ones I created. Find 6 counters that are identical on one side, but only 3 match on the other side. You will have 2 sets of 3 counters, but flip them over and you can't tell which is which since they all have the same back. So 6 counters for example, on one side they have a steep symbol, but on the other they have a straight or an Immelmann symbol. Or the old style climb counters have a climb symbol on one side and a number on the other; pick 3 that have one number and 3 that have another. A picture...

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	138643

Decide which type of symbol will be a hit and which a miss (for example all counters with an Immelmann symbol, or all counters with the number 4 on them). Then on the turns listed above, after the aircraft maneuvers have been planned, shuffle the counters, and without looking at them place the counters in the area between the balloons and artillery targets. Try to place them where you expect aircraft to be but also in a general pattern. Keep them about 1/2 ruler apart. An example:

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	138642

After maneuver #2, turn the counters over. If any aircraft is touching a hit counter, draw a C damage card.

Victory Conditions
    Recon the HQ target, and 1 artillery battery, and return to base with the photos before the end of turn 10.

Bonus points: Stop the enemy recon plane from making it home!

Question

Now THAT one looks like a real "doozie" to play Ryan.
    So how many aircraft can the attacker play that are NOT AI?
    Looks like just one?
    All other aircraft are AI?
    Last edited by gully_raker; 07-29-2014 at 22:07.

Big game Ryan, lots to play for and time bound too. This is going to be tight and no hanging around to take pictures..oops, that's what we're here for DOH!
    See you on the Dark Side......

This looks like a really complex problem Ryan - I'd say you've captured the complexity of battle

Depending on how long this takes I will give it a go, but all my games have to be put up played and down on a Friday morning as I don't have a dedicated games room.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

This looks awesome Ryan, can see a lot of thought has gone into it & I will try to play it as per - off the top of my head the Fee is the only 2 seat recon birds with quicker than an X deck, I don't have a Fee so will plod along with a BE2c - you never know it might make it ! Huns will be ok - Roland's can fill that gap as well as a few others.
    Hmm.. I may have to 'borrow' a 1˝ Strutter from the Navy ?!

Don't worry! It is a bit of a problem trying to navigate the battlefield, but other than the AA which doesn't start till later, ground fire won't be too big of a problem.

I would say it's best to fly the recon plane and one scout on the attacker side, and let AI fly the other. But I tested it both ways. Just help your AI out a little around the balloon line and don't let him turn straight into the balloon.

The other element that I like present in my games is this feeling that in battle so much is out of your control. Random rolls on the opening damage to the balloon, random target locations, and of course the cards.

Don't worry it is winnable!

Looks awesome Ryan. Like the new AA rules ;thumbsup: Not to be flown this week end as the only thing flying is the pig on a stick ( its annual pig roast day Chez moi)
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 07-30-2014 at 08:26.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks interesting Ryan, I shall have to be careful, balloons have always cost me planes, they have a habit of exploding when I'm close

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This looks awesome Ryan, can see a lot of thought has gone into it & I will try to play it as per - off the top of my head the Fee is the only 2 seat recon birds with quicker than an X deck, I don't have a Fee so will plod along with a BE2c - you never know it might make it ! Huns will be ok - Roland's can fill that gap as well as a few others.
    Hmm.. I may have to 'borrow' a 1˝ Strutter from the Navy ?!
    -
    I'm thinking the same thing Dave - will probably borrow an RNAS Strutter as the bomber, and fly a Fee and DH2 as the fighters - with a French Nieuport as the balloon straffer My AGO might well see duty as the German recon plane as well

I was thinking of using my Strutter as well Dave.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by rkwright View Post
    ...I Just help your AI out a little around the balloon line and don't let him turn straight into the balloon...
    Screw that, I was gonna fly over them unless that's not allowed ? And just being survivable will do for me !

I was thinking of bombing the cable mechanism(s) and letting the balloon(s) drift away.

Screw that, I was gonna fly over them unless that's not allowed ? And just being survivable will do for me !
    It's hard not to allow it, unless you can erect a sort of anti-grav barrage, when you play with altitude rules like we do Dave.
    Rob.

No problem flying over them! It's written without altitude in mind, and it might make it a bit easier.

It's not in the rules but perhaps if you are using altitude requiring a certain alt when flying over the targets would be good? Maybe at the same alt as the balloons?

Like I said it's not in the rules above so play it how you will!

Should work with the actual Ares balloon rules O.K. then Ryan.
    Thanks for your prompt answer.
    Rob.

On one hand, Hooray, I finally get to use my Fee in an AAR!
    On the other hand, Three Balloons to conquer, and ground fire!!!!
    I may end up loosing the mad Sergeants in this one

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Depending on how long this takes I will give it a go, but all my games have to be put up played and down on a Friday morning as I don't have a dedicated games room.
    Rob.
    Limit Kyte's gin the night before and give him an early alarm call Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Looks interesting Ryan, I shall have to be careful, balloons have always cost me planes, they have a habit of exploding when I'm close
    Trev, do you want to try this at the club next time we go?
    Looks like a right *^&%$Ł&*^%$ as Cpl Strong might say!

Damn you! need to get some painting done!

A chance to try out the extended table James.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Damn you! need to get some painting done!

Smile

Got a nice shiny Strutter on loan from the RNAS plus a FE 2b & Nieuport 17 to take on the Hun whilst a DH 2 will do the Balloon Run. Think I will fly the Strut & the Fee & let AI do the rest.
    This one should keep the grey matter engaged. Looks like next week for this one as flying my WW2 Pacific Area solo game today!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Limit Kyte's gin the night before and give him an early alarm call Rob!
    Wilco that John.
    I'll set the cat tonight.
    Rob.

I was assuming that they aren't a barrage, so was only going to play the standard collision rules i.e. if the airplane base overlaps the balloon's central dot it collides otherwise not. If that's acceptable I don't see them being a major hazard.

Trev, do you want to try this at the club next time we go?
    Looks like a right *^&%$Ł&*^%$ as Cpl Strong might say!
    Sounds good John, will be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    I.... If that's acceptable I don't see them being a major hazard.
    That was a kiss of death if I ever heard one !!

That was a kiss of death if I ever heard one !!
    Right on there Dave.
    I consider myself something of a balloon busting expert, but not by the number of times I have either hit one or gone up with it because I was too close when it popped.
    Rob.

I have seen Brians luck in action first hand Rob !

What was I thinking - the kiss of death indeed

Well, I jinxed myself totally Mission successful, but FE2 was hammered by trench rifle fire (observer wounded twice i.e. dead, pilot wounded, engine and rudder damage and set on fire), Strutter set on fire but then took no fire damage, DH2 took light AA damage - all three Huns set ablaze but both EIII's survived - the AGO did not

One balloon shot out of the sky, one burned out of the sky and the AGO downed - just not quite sure who to give the burning drachen to, as it was the one set on fire by the scenarion (and hence the Morane pilot) but the DH2 shot it last - but that was 5 turns before the fire got it!!!

However - no BOOM card was drawn anywhere
    Last edited by Archidamus; 08-01-2014 at 11:03.

Sounds interesting Brian.
    Flew mine today with totally unexpected results.
    I will write it up for your delectation as soon as I get the time.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I will write it up for your delectation as soon as I get the time.
    Rob.
    Rob - ditto I might manage it tomorrow morning if I am lucky with SWMBO's "honey do" list

Just completed it! In a word AWESOME! It may take a while to write this one up...

Well, I jinxed myself totally
    Far be it from me to say I told you so Brian !!

.. just not quite sure who to give the burning drachen to, as it was the one set on fire by the scenario (and hence the Morane pilot) but the DH2 shot it last - but that was 5 turns before the fire got it!!! ....
    Kill for the Morane as he nominally set it on fire & the DH2 didn't fire the final 'kill shot' Brian.

Looking forward to seeing all these AAR !

Thumbs up

Played this one today. Wow what a marathon. Took nearly the whole Ten Turns to complete but what fun.

I have uploaded nearly 50 pics so will try to cull them somewhat but it will be hard.
    Those Trenches were like running the Gauntlet.
    Hope to do the AAR Wednesday as I have a Funeral tomorrow & Tuesday is our working bee at the Antique Tractor & Machinery Club Shed.

Teaser pics attached.

Name:	WW1 Mission 002.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	138943

Name:	WW1 Mission 014.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	138944

It looks like being a good show Baz.
    Hope your Tractor show goes as well.
    Rob.

Couldn't do it in 10 and when it came to it had to use the solo flak rules (sorry, tokens just don't do it for me) but that was a terrific bash and very busy. Some of the results are incredible and this is a very re-playable scenario. Well done Ryan

"He is wise who watches"

Just finished this marathon slogfest! 4 Aircraft down, 1 leaving the field in flames, 3 balloons in tatters...so are my nerves. AAR to follow. (sometime)

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Just finished this marathon slogfest! 4 Aircraft down, 1 leaving the field in flames, 3 balloons in tatters...so are my nerves. AAR to follow. (sometime)
    That sounds really brutal Neil - hopefully your pilots walked away from the wreckage (if they were the ones going down)

AAAH it is as I feared a real nasty.

Absolutely insane.
    Flew with altitude, and stayed out of range of the trenches, but still lost ALL the entente aircraft, and I flew all three of my flight, just AId the Huns and the French support.
    Must try it again if SWMBO lets me near the table again this month!
    Dress making in progress

This was certainly a field leveler!
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    AAAH it is as I feared a real nasty.

Absolutely insane.
    Flew with altitude, and stayed out of range of the trenches, but still lost ALL the entente aircraft, and I flew all three of my flight, just AId the Huns and the French support.
    Must try it again if SWMBO lets me near the table again this month!
    Dress making in progress
    Ah a fellow table sharer . Mary dots card making , decoupage and sundry other crafty things so its timeshare for me too.

Ryan, I have a problem getting all the appropriate planes together for this mission (out of stock, delayed delivery etc) Any chance of me bodging what I have together to get me through the mission?

As we have fudged about Gunbus' in Mission 2 Paul I don't see that would be a problem - needs must and all that !

Ok then here goes.

I would love to give you more reputation, but I can't the system won't let me. So I just want to thank you again for an incredible scenario!

I played this out with a group of friends with the following change: since we were three on three we swapped the "friendly aircraft" for a "Hun aircraft." It was tons of fun!

Thanks again!

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:31
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 10:14
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches