Ares Games

Thread: OTT The early years Mission 3 Pricking the sausage

Default OTT The early years Mission 3 Pricking the sausage

15 Maerz, 1916

Liebe Maria,

Today I write to you from the luxury of a hospital bed. Do not be too concerned! I have earned my first battle scars and will wear them proudly - but the doctors say I shall recover to full health quickly.

It happened yesterday on my flight with Obltn. Schneider. We were assigned to take down a balloon just over enemy lines. We left early in the morning, hoping to catch the ground crews still just waking. It wasn't long before we spotted the balloon, just where HQ believed it to be. There it was just sitting there, a big fat target. We closed quickly and started tearing into it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	138609
    There was also another enemy aircraft protecting the balloon. He made a head on pass at me, but I was focused only on my target: the balloon.

Schneider was able to judge his approach perfectly and got a second burst in. I turned out to give myself some room away from the balloon, but Schneider is fearless. Maria one day I hope to have the courage he has! He turned his plane over quickly to get another burst in.

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	138608

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	138607
    You could hear the gas beginning to leak out of the balloon, and then suddenly a little flicker right where Schneider was shooting. Flames began shooting out from the holes Schneider just put into it. Maria it was like roasting a sausage!

I followed my Obltn.'s lead and half looped my plane back into firing position. I could feel the heat from the flames coming off of it, and it was getting hazy from all the gas escaping. I fired my machine gun and watched as it caught fire again, on a different spot! I pulled over and noticed the enemy plane had circled back around. He fired at me again - but this time something was different. I tried to get some speed but noticed the engine was slow to respond - the mechanics have now informed me that the enemy pilot shot right through the engine terribly damaging it. They tell me they'll have to order a complete new one.

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	138606

My plane slowly arcing around, and I began to feel very vulnerable. But I was determined to down the balloon. Schneider had the enemy aircraft on the run now, and was keeping him off of me.

Name:	photo 1-1.JPG 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	138605

I made one more sweeping turn and came in for one pass. I lined up the shot, and even with the engine sputtering it didn't rattle the guns. The target was easy enough now. I let in one more burst and the whole thing exploded before my eyes. It was the biggest explosion I have ever seen! I could feel the heat so strongly.

Now let me tell you Maria, it was in the next moments that I began to worry. I turned my plane to get away from the explosion - I didn't want to catch fire, when I felt the plane start to turn downwards - as if I were to crash! I pulled as hard as could, but my left arm felt numb. I pulled with my right and the plane leveled out, but my left arm... I couldn't move it! Then the pain set in. It was dull at first then searing. The enemy pilot had shot me! Maria, I have two bullet holes now! Can you believe it??? Do not worry! I am fine. But let me tell you I was frightened in my plane. I clutched on tightly. But it wasn't over. I felt another shockwave and noticed the cannons had begun firing at me. They were off but it certainly scared me. Now that the balloon was out of the sky I felt like the target.

I made another slow turn to avoid the enemy pilot, when another machine gun on the ground found me. Maria for once I felt like every gun on the british side was on me. It was like I had killed the King himself in that balloon. I decided to get home as quickly as I could. But Schneider was fearless. He closed quickly on that Enemy plane.

Name:	photo 2-1.JPG 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	138610

At one point I could swear that he actually rammed the plane. He claims that he narrowly missed the plane. That would have been a spectacular collision. Schneider pulled in behind the enemy and downed him with one more burst. Soon the cannons were on Schneider too, and he flew right through the explosion unharmed. The ground machine gun fired at him also but he flew straight through it.

Name:	photo 3-1.JPG 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	138611

So now I am here - relaxing and having time to write you. The doctors say I will be here only a few more days.

Best wishes my love!

Thomas Neuer

Name:	photo 4-1.JPG 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	138612

Name:	photo 5-1.JPG 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	138613
    Last edited by rkwright; 07-28-2014 at 21:32.

Butchers Tally:
    Obltn. Schneider: RTB/1 Kill
    Lt. Neuer: RTB/ WIA / 1 Kill (Balloon)

2nd Lt. V. Wilton SD/KIA (Rolled a 3 -1 for SD)
    Last edited by flash; 07-29-2014 at 01:24.

My thoughts on the scenario: Taking down the balloon proved a bit easier than I expected, but that was all in the cards. The explosion helped, but the balloon already had 26 damage when I drew it - so not completely necessary.

The AA fire worried me - it came on the turn right after the balloon was down. It missed the first shot, but the second was close, and I was dreading pulling the C cards. Also dreading pulling the C cards on the collision but they all ended up being 0s - so not a factor in the end.

And another sausage bites the dust with a boom! - nicely done sir

Neat little mission Ryan.
    You are right about balloons. if you can get in with a surgical strike and start a fire or pop them quickly, before taking too much damage yourself, you can usually get home. If it takes too long things can get very messy.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice one Ryan ! That was edge of the seat stuff towards the end, thought you weren't going to make it out of that kill zone !
    You also need to roll for Neuers wounds (+3 for RTB & -1 for WIA) so I can note his damage on the spreadsheet.
    Looking forward to your BRF, engines, ammo & airframes being checked as we speak !

Nicely done! Your boys certainly gave as good as they got!

Congats Ryan. the Eagles need that win : Good AAR Its nice to see cards in action,, I don't think it detracts from the game at all.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well done. Chalk another two up for the Eagles. Superb use of cards. Always seem to forget that option.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

superb AAR sir!
    heart in throat towards the end, hoping your chap would get home ok.
    I still play the card only game occasionally if camping, really happy someone is posting such AARs.

Nice one Ryan. The Kaiser will be proud as you add to the German achievements in the air.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 3 Pricking the Sausage
    By tusekine in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 07:53
  2. AAR OTT The early years Mission 3 Pricking the sausage
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 01:26
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 3 - Pricking the Sausage
    By Brambo in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 17:59
  4. AAR Early Doors Mission 3----Pricking the Sausage---March '16---gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 17:44
  5. AAR Early Doors Mission 3 - Pricking the Sausage - 52 Sq. F.O.Kyte.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 17:34