Ares Games

Thread: How do you prepare your shapeways for paint?

Default How do you prepare your shapeways for paint?

It seems that the quality of some of the models or materials used is very inconsistent as I have several UFD models, some have taken the base/primer very well and the paint sticks and yet on another model I can’t use modelers masking tape as when I remove it, it just peels all the paint and primer completely off the model leaving a very clean model.

So can anyone provide me with techniques or methods of getting the paint to stick?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    It seems that the quality of some of the models or materials used is very inconsistent as I have several UFD models, some have taken the base/primer very well and the paint sticks and yet on another model I can’t use modelers masking tape as when I remove it, it just peels all the paint and primer completely off the model leaving a very clean model.

So can anyone provide me with techniques or methods of getting the paint to stick?
    G'day James!
    It is a good idea to wash the model regardless of finish in luke warm water & mild washing up detergent & let dry for 24 hours.
    Then a spray undercoat like Games Workshops white spray. Be careful of other flat sprays from hardware stores as the particles can be rather coarse & spoil the detail.

Good Luck. Cheers Baz.

Hey Barry,

Yep did all that, standard practice for any plastic model kit and I normally give them a going over with a tooth brush as well just to make sure I get all the residue off, but for some odd reason the paint just isn't sticking!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Hey Barry,

Yep did all that, standard practice for any plastic model kit and I normally give them a going over with a tooth brush as well just to make sure I get all the residue off, but for some odd reason the paint just isn't sticking!
    Thats scary!
    Have you tried a different paint?

Used both GW and Vajello. I will try the classic Tamiya primer next.

James,
    Maybe try the Mr.Hobby brand of resin primer and even their Mr.Surfacer range to help make the surface smooth afterwards.
    Sometimes the surface needs a more intense clean to remove the wax (3D printing) or mold release(resin casting) residue. Things like Isopropal Alcohol (IPA), alcohol (either in the form of the swabs as used by doctors) or liquid from the chemist. Using quite warm (hand hot) water with soap to help loosen the wax (remember if the 3D material distorts it is easy to reshape by rewarming it).
    hope that might help

My FUD N11 was very easy to prep, just gave it a good washing, then primed with auto primer, which I generally use on almost everything I paint. I've not used any masking material, tape or paint on... so have not had to remove anything from the painted surface. But the paint finish on the little guy does seem to be quite durable. I have rubbed my finger nail across the painted fuselage to no effect. This is my first, and so far only FUD model, so my experience is very limited. I would like to hear of your further efforts to solve this issue, as my future orders might include an issue like this.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF P-38 Paint up!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 23:54
  2. Too Hot to Paint
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 04:13
  3. B-25 paint job
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 14:15
  4. WGF Hardest Builds & paint - Easyest Build & paint.
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 00:07
  5. WW1 Art to help with Shapeways Paint Schemes!
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 10:51