Ares Games

Thread: 100 years ago today.

Default 100 years ago today.

Austria declared war on Serbia.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

File it under "it seemed a good idea at the time"
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

File it under: carelessness using an armed device

You know, this would be a great sticky thread, if people were willing to contribute to it every now and then. It would be a great way to track WWI anniversary events and timelines in "real time".

Just a thought. *shrug*

Thanks Rob, for remind me of this remarkable (did i wrote right?) date. My head was so full of things that i didn't remembered.
    Lots of people died from this date, but we can always look on the bright side: if World War I didn't happened (wrote right again?), we would't be enjoying this great game and reading this wonderful forum.
    Thanks

Nick

29-Jul-1914
    Wednesday
    • At 1:00 am the Kaiser and Czar Nicholas II begin the famous Willy-Nilly correspondence via telegram. [view text of the telegrams]
    • The Czar orders mobilization of four military districts: Moscow, Kiev, Odessa, and Kazan.
    • Germany demands that Russia demobilize at once.
    • The Kaiser wires Saint Petersburg pleading for restraint since he is currently urging Austria to back off.
    • The Czar calls off mobilization, for the moment. The Russians decide on only partial mobilization and only against Austria, not Germany.
    • Austrian Ambassador, Count Szapary, urges Russian Foreign Minister Sazonov to call off Russian mobilization. During the meeting Sazonov is informed that Austrian monitors are shelling Belgrade from the Danube. The meeting ends in a shouting match and Szapary walks out.
    • In London, Grey warns German Ambassador Lichownowsky that British neutrality cannot be counted on.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Thanks Rob, for remind me of this remarkable (did i wrote right?) date. My head was so full of things that i didn't remembered.
    Lots of people died from this date, but we can always look on the bright side: if World War I didn't happened (wrote right again?), we would't be enjoying this great game and reading this wonderful forum.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
    You know, this would be a great sticky thread, if people were willing to contribute to it every now and then. It would be a great way to track WWI anniversary events and timelines in "real time".

Just a thought. *shrug*
    Right on Max.
    That was really what I was hoping for.
    We have something similar going on on Sails of Glory.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    As for you my boy there is only one answer to this.
    Your rep is in the post!
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Thanks

Nick

i think id go with 'infamous date'

Similar Missions

1. 100 up today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2018, 01:05
  2. 68 years ago today - A Warning to New York
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:54