Ares Games

Thread: Aviation Museum Demonstrations

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Default Aviation Museum Demonstrations

Although I am new to THIS game, I have played a lot of 'older' WWI flying games going way, way, back. (from "Fight in the Skies" to "Richthofen's War" to "Ace of Aces".) And this game I believe is well worth promoting. Which brings up my point.

I am considering asking a local aviation museum, if they would allow us some space to demonstrate/display/play the game in some corner. Seriously, this game has immense eye appeal. I have been to several game store playing areas, and have had LOTS of curious onlookers stop and ask questions, etc. (Men and women)

Surely, I can't be the first to notice this. And now with the centenary of the Great War underway, the timing is perfect.

These models etc. are tremendous eye-candy, even for those who could care less, otherwise.

Thoughts?

yes ive noticed the interest the game generates even in non gamers. if you can convince them let you do demos then by all means go for it!

Smile

Yes some of our members have done just that at Museums & Air Shows.
    I had a display of WW1 aircraft through the War at one of our local museums for a special WW1 exhibition for local school children which was a great success.

Name:  <acronym title=WoG display 1.JPG Views: 169 Size: 103.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WoG display 2.JPG Views: 150 Size: 156.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WoG display 5 dogfight.JPG Views: 118 Size: 163.8 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

I have the opportunity to be apart of Northumbrian History Fair on Sunday 26th of October. If you have any pointers Barry would certainly help.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Go for it, Brian! It does not have to be as elaborate as Barry's tremendous display.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

I believe I shall at least ask for some room and a table or two. The most they can say is no.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

As for my 'collectables' lets just say I bought quite a few of the miniatures when the first two Series were released (not a complete set----just the ones that struck my fancy). I also bought the game "Wings of War" and all of the available Booster Packs.

All of this stuff just sat until this Spring, when I found some chaps to play the game. Now we are scrambling to catch up!

I just about 'lost it' when I saw my Udet Fokker DVII going for X10 times what I paid. They had to be kidding?

BTW, I did try my hand at filling some holes on ebay. Drat! I didn't score any SE5a's, but I did manage to scoop up a Nieuport 17 and an Albatros DIII! (without spending an arm & a leg).

BTW, thanks agin for all the warm welcomes!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes some of our members have done just that at Museums & Air Shows.
    I had a display of WW1 aircraft through the War at one of our local museums for a special WW1 exhibition for local school children which was a great success.

Name:  <acronym title=WoG display 1.JPG Views: 169 Size: 103.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WoG display 2.JPG Views: 150 Size: 156.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WoG display 5 dogfight.JPG Views: 118 Size: 163.8 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    They look fantastic and bound to grab some newbies to the game. Expos like that got me hooked when I was 10 some yrs ago I might add)

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    As for my 'collectables' lets just say I bought quite a few of the miniatures when the first two Series were released (not a complete set----just the ones that struck my fancy). I also bought the game "Wings of War" and all of the available Booster Packs.

All of this stuff just sat until this Spring, when I found some chaps to play the game. Now we are scrambling to catch up!

I just about 'lost it' when I saw my Udet Fokker DVII going for X10 times what I paid. They had to be kidding?

BTW, I did try my hand at filling some holes on ebay. Drat! I didn't score any SE5a's, but I did manage to scoop up a Nieuport 17 and an Albatros DIII! (without spending an arm & a leg).

BTW, thanks agin for all the warm welcomes!
    Brian I have a couple of the late Colbatman's SE5a's for sale. Check out the threads in the For Sale/Trade section.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I have the opportunity to be apart of Northumbrian History Fair on Sunday 26th of October. If you have any pointers Barry would certainly help.

Neil
    G'day Neil!
    I set up the table with models from 1915 through each year with a date sticker on the table edge so folk could see the progression through the years.
    The centre piece was the Balloon & a big 1916/18 Dogfight behind it between Fokker Dr I's & Camels etc.
    I also had a collection of miniature medals on display. VC, DSO, DFC etc.
    I had info sheets on W o G & a list of Aces etc to engage the Kids & I did a talk & asked did they know of the Red Baron & told them any humorous stories about pilots etc. Seemed to work well.

Thanks a lot Grey for what you are doing... and to gully_raker for the great demno he did!
    I have been invited a couple of times to play in the Italian Air Force Mmuseum. The table was not as great as gully_raker's, but the setting was very nice indeed.

Name:  pic98502_md.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  72.1 KB

Others managed to do the same close to airplanes, and it's always a hit. This is Seattle, 11th of March 2012:

Name:  pic1470490_md.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  55.0 KB

But a display and a table like gully_raker's above would be a hit everywhere. Great job indeed!

By the way, museums shop are also a very good selling point for the game, in anybody happens to propose them. It happened in the Italian IAF Museum and several US and British ones even before we had miniatures, with just the "cards only" game..

If anybody is on BGG, please share your experiences in museums posting photos and adding the event to this geeklist:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14...within-museums

Wetdream: being able to host a demo inside the Spruce Goose. Or once the USAF Museum gets it their C-5...

BONUS on the Goose would be cooking stats so I could use my WGS-scale Minicraft H-4 in the demo, let some lucky sort actually PLAY the bird we'd be sitting in.

I think air museums are the way to go.
    Our games at Wargames conventions are simply re cycling people who already game. At Museums you can capture fresh blood. People with an interest in flight, but who do not necessarily know about gaming.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I think air museums are the way to go.
    Our games at Wargames conventions are simply re cycling people who already game. At Museums you can capture fresh blood. People with an interest in flight, but who do not necessarily know about gaming.
    Rob.
    Agreed. Preaching to the converted is not going to get a new generation of gamers.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Wetdream: being able to host a demo inside the Spruce Goose. Or once the USAF Museum gets it their C-5...

BONUS on the Goose would be cooking stats so I could use my WGS-scale Minicraft H-4 in the demo, let some lucky sort actually PLAY the bird we'd be sitting in.
    How did you guess what Museum I was going to approach?

http://evergreenmuseum.org/

BTW, The Spruce Goose is HUGE!

CappyTom is organizing one for the Dawn Patrol event at the USAF Museum this September:
    http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/wwi.asp

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

Had a notion for a _WG1_ tourney at Evergreen -- final round *inside* the Goose....

Similar Missions

1. Sad news about another aviation museum
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 09:36
  2. Mil Aviation Museum
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 15:40
  3. Virginia Aviation Museum
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 14:13
  4. My day at Military Aviation Museum!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 14:09
  5. My Day at the Military Aviation Museum!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 12:48