Ares Games

Thread: Do you fancy buying a Harrier?

Default Do you fancy buying a Harrier?

If you have lots of spare cash, there is an auction tomorrow (26th July) at Silverstone race track. There are a large number of sports cars for sale plus a Harrier Jump Jet and a Tornado. Neither of the aeroplanes are in a flying condition.

It would look good in my field.......

Damn, if only I'd have known could have bought the Tornado as a birthday present for my wife instead of taking her to New York... curses

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Damn, if only I'd have known could have bought the Tornado as a birthday present for my wife instead of taking her to New York... curses
    That would've been great - she could probably have got some restoration work done on it with the divorce settlement too....

I do seem to recall a farm outside Grimsby who had an EE Lightning sat in his back yard.
    I wonder if I'll see a Harrier next time I visit my in laws

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I do seem to recall a farm outside Grimsby who had an EE Lightning sat in his back yard.
    Quite probably - there are a few scattered around Lincolnshire, including one on the remains of Binbrook air base (the last operational Lightning base), only a few miles south of Grimsby, and another on a farm in nearby Binbrook village. (I lived in Grimsby for much of my youth, and my best friend's dad was headmaster of Binbrook primary, which still has a Lightning tailfin outside.)

I was attached to RAF Binbrook for a year or so, well they held our stores and I lived in the mess until it shut down and moved to Connigsby. My SWMBO is a Codhead, I bought a house in Grimsby while posted there, I was at the place with the 4 big 25m Dishes just South of RAF Binbrook
    Saw the Lightnings fly a couple of times, very impressive.

I would buy the Harrier easily... The problem is the shipping costs to Portugal. Too damn expensive... And it would probably be held in customs for taxes... Ah well, let's put the matter behind us and cry a little for the sunk dream of having a 1:1 scale Harrier...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I was attached to RAF Binbrook for a year or so, well they held our stores and I lived in the mess until it shut down and moved to Connigsby. My SWMBO is a Codhead, I bought a house in Grimsby while posted there, I was at the place with the 4 big 25m Dishes just South of RAF Binbrook.
    Stenigot? Yep, remember that one - went down there many years ago to see the old Chain Home radar mast - can't get too close even now, but great to see it still maintained.

The Harrier was sold for £105,000 and the Tornado for more than £36,000.

Yeah, I think i will go there, buy a couple Porsches and one Tornado. Seems fair to me
    Thanks

Nick

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 03:51
  2. To the Bar, I'm Buying!
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 05:10
  3. WGF BUYING PLANES
    By Antabires in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 16:56
  4. Bobit's buying.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 14:58
  5. Anyone fancy a 1x day WoW tournament in Cardiff?
    By Khargor in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 08:31