Ares Games

Thread: Who Would Ever Believe This Was Possible? InCONceivable!

Default Who Would Ever Believe This Was Possible? InCONceivable!

All,
    Like the title says, and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I stumbled upon the advertisement, but there is a gaming convention happening in the Comox Valley!

Check out what I am doing to get some local opponents!

InCONceivable Comox Valley - Game Demo - Wings of Glory
    Note: I think the CON web master borrowed a picture from Origins.

Hope this works out, and Neil [Skafloc] and Paul [tikkifriend] can join the mob, Saturday, 9 August 2014

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-23-2014 at 20:18. Reason: Title Correction

Yes that is indeed the back of The Cowman's head from this year's Origins!

I see the timings are 3pm-6pm. Is that Comox Valley time or UK time? If the former could you send timings so I can arrange a visit to this fantastic set up.

Neil

PS:Hope to see you there Paul.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Looks very interesting. Well done Mike.
    Neil. Please PM me about how to receive skype.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    All,
    Like the title says, and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I stumbled upon the advertisement, but there is a gaming convention happening in the Comox Valley!

Check out what I am doing to get some local opponents!

InCONceivable Comox Valley - Game Demo - Wings of Glory
    Note: I think the CON web master borrowed a picture from Origins.

Hope this works out, and Neil [Skafloc] and Paul [tikkifriend] can join the mob, Saturday, 9 August 2014

Mike
    yep they sure did borrow it from origins! thats my buddy rick in the red shirt (he painted the custom minis ares posted on their facebook page) and thats me on his right in the darker blue shirt. we both immensely enjoyed cowmans defend the aerodrome scenario!!!

Great, wish I could make it out. Have a great time

Skafloc's Invite - Hijacked: InCONceivable Game Demo
    Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Comox (Canada) Saturday, 9 August at 3:00 PM PDT UTC-7 hours
    Shreveport, LA (USA) Saturday, 9 August at 5:00 PM CDT UTC-5 hours
    Morpeth (UK) Saturday, 9 August at 11:00 PM BST UTC+1 hour
    Talvern (France) Midnight (Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 August) CEST UTC+2 hours
    Yokohama (Japan) Sunday, 10 August at 7:00 AM JST UTC+9 hour
    Brisbane (Australia) Sunday, 10 August at 8:00 AM AEST UTC+10 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, 9 August at 22:00 PM 0:00

Glossary - UTC
    Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
    Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.

Using the World Clock Meeting Planner at: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

This will be run at the InCONceivable Convention, technology permitting.

Mike

Good job on getting a game together. My next adventure is at Guns of August and I know there will be a few game there. Rich S always runs a great game and John S has a good demo game he runs.

Thumbs up

Great work Mike!
    Hope its a huge success.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Yes that is indeed the back of The Cowman's head from this year's Origins!
    Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    yep they sure did borrow it from origins! thats my buddy rick in the red shirt (he painted the custom minis ares posted on their facebook page) and thats me on his right in the darker blue shirt. we both immensely enjoyed cowmans defend the aerodrome scenario!!!
    Yup, and RedCoon2 in the yellowish sweatshirt (Dawn Patrol 2011)
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Going in for the "technology check" tomorrow, to see if the Skype setup will even work.

Also, I have a Dual Pack in the mail, and if it arrives, I will award it to a participant. For the out-of-town players, I think perhaps a "custom card certificate" or something could be arranged. Suggestions?

Update tomorrow if this is a go, or a bust.

Mike

Technology check complete! The venue is small, and I will be shoe-horning my demo into the Con. However, they do have a flat screen on a stand, and I can use that to run the Skype game. I can even use it to run my silent film animations during the day to attract crowds!

So, as for my end, everything appears to be a GO. Anyone not on my Skype Contact List that wishes to join in had best get me their Skype ID so I can add them to the list.

Mike

In to the Filberg Centre to do my set-up. I have a concern that I won't be able to hear people on Skype, nor will the Skypers be able to make out me in the main room of the Convention. I went and picked up a Bluetooth ear/mic set, and then needed to get a Bluetooth USB adapter for my laptop. SWMBO helped me do a video call check to ensure that the Bluetooth mic works with Skype, which it does.

Tomorrow morning, I will be in to do the display set-up and get all the technology working. I will be running my Wings of Glory Silent Videos on the TV screen until 2:30 PM PDT. Then, hopefully, I can get Neil [Skafloc] and Paul [tikkifriend] linked in for a game. If it doesn't work, Neil and Paul will still be able to get a game in on their end.

If this actually works, I can see running this at BottosCon 2014 and Enfilade 2015. Keep your fingers crossed!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Although I will not be involved in this enterprise Mike, let me take this opportunity to wish you the best of luck with this groundbreaking venture.
    May all the little glitches and Gremlins be easily detected and rectified.
    Have a good show.
    Rob.

Ambient noise is going to be an issue, even with the Bluetooth.

Crossed fingers, and attempting Live in 35 minutes.
    Mike

OK. That was not an optimal venue for a Skype game.

Add in a Live Action Roleplay combat demonstration with a very loud heavy-rock musical accompaniment, if the milling crowds, venders and other game demonstrations weren't competition enough.

Nonetheless, a game was played between Paul [tikkifriend] and myself. Neil [Skafloc] checked in twice during the day, but we didn't make contact at the scheduled time.

I will post the game soon, but Paul will have to provide the end damage, as I couldn't hear him over the noise, and he needed his beauty rest.

Next year there will be more space, and division of the different functions.
    Mike

Well when I posted last I never suspected that the little Gremlins would be L.A.R.P.S. Mike.
    Rob.

AAR here: AAR - InCONceivable Skype Game

One of my best games, but not one of Paul's. No-one joined in, so the Dual Pack will probably be going to BottosCon in November.

My set-up for the CON.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CON set-up.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	140091
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-09-2014 at 23:58. Reason: picture
    Mike

Looks very professional Mike.
    I bet that lot cost an arm and a leg.
    Rob.

Great set up Mike. Yes I managed to join you twice but the link went down at a crucial moment. And during the second link my sound went. But you proved it works and is viable. Well done.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looks very professional Mike.
    I bet that lot cost an arm and a leg.
    Rob.
    The flat screen and stand were borrowed from the convention site. I rigged the camera with curtain rods and electrical tape (junk in the garage). The display board I made for BottosCon and re-purposed. Everything else I had, except the Bluetooth Headset and USB adapter ($40 for the two).

Oh, and I have to give Beau [Beaunanza] some credit for the game aids. I used the Game Turn Sequence Card (File Link) and Basic Rules Refence Card (File Link) from the Files section. Color printed and put into document protectors for any people who wanted to play. They were very helpful for explaining the rules for those that asked questions and for the one guy who actually played. You can see the "cards" at the end of the table with the cockpits.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    OK. That was not an optimal venue for a Skype game.

Add in a Live Action Roleplay combat demonstration with a very loud heavy-rock musical accompaniment, if the milling crowds, venders and other game demonstrations weren't competition enough.
    I was going to say this was a likely outcome, but I'm pretty sure I would have been either ignored or shouted down for being a "negative Nancy"....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I was going to say this was a likely outcome, but I'm pretty sure I would have been either ignored or shouted down for being a "negative Nancy"....
    What ever anyone could say Chris, I'm sure they would never call you a negative Nancy.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What ever anyone could say Chris, I'm sure they would never call you a negative Nancy.
    Rob.
    Shirley not!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Chris,
    I would have given it a try, anyway. I'm desperate to get local competition. But, next year, we get a separate room, so much less competition. And I'll get better tech.

You'd be welcome to play.
    Mike

If you get a separate room, make sure the advertising is in the hallway
    I had this happen to me lots of years ago, running a game (not WoG/WoW) and ended up sitting by myself for 4 hours
    Karl

Mike

You had a nice display! How much did you enlarge that business card?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Mike

You had a nice display! How much did you enlarge that business card?

Rich
    Rich,
    Not sure what you mean? The image on the flat screen is one of my "silent film" Wings of Glory stop-action animations. I did one for a college project (Wings of Glory Video), and another as a "training" film: Wings of Glory Training Video

I printed up a bunch of these to hand out using standard-sized, pre-perforated cards: Aerodromes Business Card
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-15-2014 at 09:19.
    Mike

Mike

The image in the middle of your display board. Is a blow up of a business card i have printed out and hand out.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    ... How much did you enlarge that business card?
    Sorry, Missed that. I printed the business card at maximum size on an 11x17 sheet of paper. I have a printer that will do 13 inch wide paper, but didn't have any for my poster board. I will go buy a few sheets for my next display, though. So, it will be bigger at BottosCon.
    Mike

Mike

I will remember that for next week. I will print one up for Guns Of August!

Rich

Thumbs up

Mike

Take this file to your local print shop of choice! 17 x 11!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x17bc.jpg  
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 08-19-2014 at 16:48.