Ares Games

Thread: Movement options

Default Movement options

With regards to the manuaver decks I have read on here and had some one tell me that I could use 1 or 2 planned moves instead of the normal 3.

The single move sort of brings it in line with Star wars/trek attack wing which my son and I have played.
    How will using 1 manauver card effect the game over all?

Good or bad?

Cheers
    Alan

Alan, personally I would say bad. But just try it out both ways. Then choose the one you feel it works for you.

I would say depends on the age of your son. If he's too young then 1 card would suffice. If older, try 1 card then wean him onto 2 cards.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Exclamation

The standard Turn for WW1 is the 3 card turn but in WW2 its a 2 card turn with another card chosen after the first one is played etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I would say depends on the age of your son. If he's too young then 1 card would suffice. If older, try 1 card then wean him onto 2 cards.
    The lad is 6 so will try one card then upgrade to two cards.

Then I would agree with playing 1 card only. Doesn't stop you playing the two card option though.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    With regards to the manuaver decks I have read on here and had some one tell me that I could use 1 or 2 planned moves instead of the normal 3.

The single move sort of brings it in line with Star wars/trek attack wing which my son and I have played.
    How will using 1 manauver card effect the game over all?

Good or bad?

Cheers
    Alan
    Good. Have tried it with WGF several times and the result feels much more like a dogfight. Its a little trickier keeping track of effects that span multiple game turns (e.g. jammed rudders, fires) but apart from that, IMHO, it works really well.

...How will using 1 manauver card effect the game over all? Good or bad?
    I've found it enhances a game as you can react immediately to the oppositions moves and it lessens the wandering apart you can get in the three card game. I've found that if you track the 'three card turn' on the cockpit by putting the played cards down on it, it helps with tracking the jams, steeps, sharp turns, fire etc.
    ie Select card, play move, put card on cockpit, Select card, play move, put card on cockpit,Select card, play move, put card on cockpit, At end of three turns replace the three cards into deck and repeat.

i personally really like the three card plot, it really seems to keep the game flowing. any more and it gets hard to predict opponents moves that far ahead. any less and it tends to slow down game play as everybody stops to replot. the once a turn plot (ie wgs after the 1st turn, xwing, star trek attack wing) really draws the game out and imho really breaks up the maneuvering flow of the game. i feel its what separates a good game, wgs, from a great game, wgf.

also the number of the cards in the deck (ie 3 hard turns vs 2 hard turns, or 2 sideslips vs 1 sideslip) really captures the performance envelopes of the individual A/C and the stresses that they could endure and adds immeasurably to flavor of the game.

I, also, like the 3 card plotting for WGF. It's not only fun but it fits in with the more random and harder dogfights of WW1. The planes were not like modern fighters or (for that matter) spaceships. Throttle control was erratic and (in some cases) non-existent. Most importantly, visibility for the pilot was extremely limited. For me, the plotting of the 3 cards represents the pilot trying to guess where the other planes are going from quick glimpses from an obscured cockpit.

[Added]
    But 1 card does make more sense for WGS and for X-Wing.
    Last edited by Nicola Zee; 07-23-2014 at 00:09. Reason: Spelling\Grammar

With my son, I started with WWII two cards planning when he was four and a half years old. The first games were only about maneuvering - something like Red Bull Air Race (respectively the qualification for Wings Across the Globe from the Planes movie) - using tokens as slalom gates. I can recommend it as a good training for the playing system and for orientation in space.

Sorry to sound like a noob but WGS and WGF?????

Sorry to sound like a noob but WGS and WGF?????
    WGS - Wings of Glory Second World War
    WGF - Wings of Glory First World War

[Added]
    If it's all in caps and you hover the mouse over it, a helpful reminder tag is displayed.

Wings of Glory Second World War & Wings of Glory First World War respectively

Ahhh it makes sense now. the mouse option won't work as I mainly view this site on my tablet. So it didn't give me the expanded meanings.

Cheers
    Alan

Alan,

Seriously stick with the 3 card system my 7 year old son picked it up very quickly and it helped his X-wing gaming to no end.

You see Wings of Glory forces them to think 3 moves in advance, it takes a little while for them to get this but actually due to the nature of the game it makes it hard for you ass an opponent as sometimes they come out with moves that totally throw you.

While X-wing they are only thinking about each individual move, while you are planning maneuvers in advance. So from personal and professional experience I would teach the basic rules as they stand.

I wrote a review and 1st timer AAR of a game I played with my son and it will give you a really good idea of how easy it is for a young mind.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180...-1st-timer-ses

Alan,

Seriously stick with the 3 card system my 7 year old son picked it up very quickly and it helped his X-wing gaming to no end.

You see Wings of Glory forces them to think 3 moves in advance, it takes a little while for them to get this but actually due to the nature of the game it makes it hard for you as an opponent as sometimes they come out with moves that totally throw you.

While X-wing they are only thinking about each individual move, while you are planning maneuvers in advance. So from personal and professional experience I would teach the basic rules as they stand.

I wrote a review and 1st timer AAR of a game I played with my son and it will give you a really good idea of how easy it is for a young mind.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180...-1st-timer-ses

I am quite fond of the two card system used in WGS and have used it in WGF with very good results. I find with the three card system, your first card is spot on, your second card is a bit of a guess, and your third card is a wild guess that could be taking you miles away from the action. Rather than planning two, executing them and then starting again, use the rolling system of WGS -- plan two initially, then play one, plan one in a continuous cycle. The only change you have to make is that a played card must stay in a "dead card" pile for one move before you put it back in your deck. This means that planes with only 2 of a specific maneuver (like 2 sharp turns) are still restricted in that way.

I've got a feeling that planning one card only will be a bit too direct to the point where it would be well-nigh impossible to shake off a pursuer. Realistic perhaps, but hardly sporting for a game! Then again, it might be a useful learning style for your son. Six is a bit younger than anything I have tried, but I did play the full 3-card system with my 8 year old niece and she picked it up easily.

Best of luck!!
    Jon

Good catch on the cards Barry. I just saw this thread and that was the first thing I noticed. I am teaching my wife how to play so I go with the WWI side of the game. It is slower and I think easier for someone to learn the mechanics of the system.

I will test all of the options see how he handles it. My biggest issue is now the Maneuver decks

I need for my Current planes:
    2x A Decks [IL 2]
    2x I Decks [Stuka's]

eventually need:
    3x J Decks for LaGG3
    3x A Decks for La5
    3x F Decks for FW-190
    3x B Decks for Bf109

I so far have found all of my Aircraft cards, just sent through an order to the Aerodrome site for some bases for the planes I have will get more once I buy the extra fighters.

But its the Maneuver decks that I just can not find. any one help me out with this burning issue.

Alan

A and B decks were sold in a pack that you still might find. Try boardgamegeek.
    I and F decks are easily found in Fire in the skies box. e-bay and boardgamegeek.
    J decks can be found in a pack called Revolution in the skies. You can still find it in the places aboves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    A and B decks were sold in a pack that you still might find. Try boardgamegeek.
    I and F decks are easily found in Fire in the skies box. e-bay and boardgamegeek.
    J decks can be found in a pack called Revolution in the skies. You can still find it in the places aboves.
    Wings of War: Eagles of the Reich Squadron Pack
    Wings of War: Flying Legend Squadron Pack
    Wings of War: Revolution in the Sky Squadron Pack

found some one on boardgamegeek selling the above packs just waiting to hear back on how much its going to cost to post to me. Fingers crossed it won't be to horrendous.

Haven't found a copy of Fire in the Skies that
    a) can be sent out of the U.S
    b) or in English

will continue to search for them.

Alan
    Last edited by Greywolf; 07-24-2014 at 00:59.

Similar Missions

1. What pre-painted options are out there?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 02-09-2018, 14:42
  2. WGF Belgian Camel Options?
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 15:44
  3. National: Best storage options
    By daledavis67 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 19:50
  4. BALLOON OPTIONS