Ares Games

Thread: Early Doors Mission 3 - Pricking the Sausage - 52 Sq. F.O.Kyte.

Default Early Doors Mission 3 - Pricking the Sausage - 52 Sq. F.O.Kyte.

Pricking the sausage,( or pop goes the wurst)

Major Bryant was as serious as he ever seemed to get when he announced the Ops for the following day. The whole Flight with the exception of Kyte and Welland were to give ground support to the early morning push that was long overdue.

"Crackit ,van der Maren I have a special job for you two.

Those Hun Sausages which the Squadron has been popping every day this month must be notable by their absence tomorrow when the push is on.
    I am therefore assigning you two to take down Fritz again before he sees anything that we would not want him too. Start out well before dawn and, I'm putting Crackit in a Nieuport we have just acquired from the French. It should be able to manoeuvre better for taking down the balloon.
    Get off well before dawn and good luck. Remember that the PBI. are depending upon you to keep the German Artillery blinded."

4.30 the next morning saw Toby Crackit and Pete van der Maren running through their last minute checks with the ground crew and donning their warmest kit as although nearing the end of March, at this time in the morning it was still freezing cold at 20,000 feet in an open cockpit.
    They had decided to cross the lines well to the North of the balloon and then swing back out of the rising Sun hoping to catch the observers napping as they searched the Western horizon for signs of activity after the overnight barrage concluded. They were well aware by this point of the war what a protracted barrage presaged.
    All went well on the outward trip, and just as the first hint of dawn lit up the sky, the German Observation balloon was winched up into the cloud studded sky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5228.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	137794

Dead on cue, Crackit and van der Maren stole up on the gasbag from the East.

Name:	DSC_5229.jpg 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	137795

However, neither of them spotted a slim shadow dart across the landscape, thrown into relief by the same rising Sun which blinded the Observers in the balloon.
    A Fokker Eindecker was on the prowl.

Name:	DSC_5230.jpg 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	137796

As soon as he had the range van der Maren opened up on the balloon and was chagrined to see the total lack of effect that his hits were apparently having.

Name:	DSC_5232.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	137797

Crackit had more luck, and hit one of the observers as he tried to climb out of the basket and parachute to safety.

Name:	DSC_5234.jpg 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	137798

As Pete turned away to avoid hitting the tether, the Fokker homed in on the British pair.

Name:	DSC_5235.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	137799

Undeterred by this sudden intrusion Toby turned in toward the sausage for a better look, but did little further damage as he closed rapidly.

Name:	DSC_5236.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	137800

Banking away, he did not see the Eindecker in hot pursuit of van der Maren's machine on the opposite side of the target, but Pete noticed a whining in his ears as, from out of the blue, machine gun bullets suddenly whistled past his cockpit.

Name:	DSC_5237.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	137801

Pulling an Immelmann he faced off his adversary, but nothing much happened, except for the jamming of the Eindecker's guns.

Name:	DSC_5238.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	137802

Uttering a curse, the pilot immediately tried to unjam the gun as Pete's DH2 sped past him and strafed the target once more with no more success than on his first attempt.

Name:	DSC_5239.jpg 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	137803

It was now van der Maren's turn to utter a curse of frustration.

Name:	DSC_5240.jpg 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	137804

Meanwhile Toby was knocking seven bells out of the monster with no better luck than Pete. The darned thing would just not ignite.

Name:	DSC_5241.jpg 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	137805

With a last desperate shot he was passed as the second observer took to his chute, and the winch men finally started to crank the behemoth down to safety.

As turned for his third attempt and opened fire, the Fokker swept around the rear of the Balloon, and viciously raked the Nieuport from tail to nose.

Name:	DSC_5243.jpg 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	137806

Before Toby could react, struts cracked and wires were severed as his wing dethatched itself at the root. Going into an uncontrollable spin, the aircraft dashed itself to pieces on the ground before bursting into flames.

Name:	DSC_5245.jpg 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	137807

Strange to say on the far side of the balloon van der Maren was unaware of his wingman's demise, as he had finally succeeded in igniting the gasbag.

Name:	DSC_5246.jpg 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	137808

The Eindecker now strove to avoid the burning balloon in an attempt to come to blows with Peter's DH.

Name:	DSC_5247.jpg 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	137809

Cutting things as fine as possible, both pilots attacked each other head on oblivious to the smoke and flame obscuring their view of each other.

Name:	DSC_5248.jpg 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	137810

Predictably their bullets missed.

Name:	DSC_5249.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	137811

As they swung past avoiding both each other and the conflagration, the sausage continued to fry nicely. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5250.jpg 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	137812

As van der Maren pulled away, the Fokker pilot took a gamble.

Name:	DSC_5251.jpg 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	137813

Swinging as close to the tether as he dared he caught Peter crossing the chord of his circle.
    Blasting away, but with streaming eyes due to the smoke, he was unfortunate enough to miss a sitting target.

Name:	DSC_5252.jpg 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	137814

Pulling an Immelmann Peter was not so lucky as he engaged again on the next pass.
    Although doing substantial damage to the German's bus, the return fire set his aircraft on fire.

Name:	DSC_5253.jpg 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	137815

As he watched the flame flick along his exhaust pipe Peter reflected laconically that it appeared that he had now joined Crackit and the rapidly descending sausage on the mixed grill menu for the day.

Name:	DSC_5256.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	137817

Name:	DSC_5255.jpg 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	137816

As the Hun swept across his front, van der Maren was so busy with the fire, and commencing an over dive that his attempt for revenge went astray and by sheer chance, hit the balloon again, causing the fire on it to spread rapidly forward.

Name:	DSC_5257.jpg 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	137818

As he whipped past the turning German, he did manage a small amount of damage, but because his over dive had now taken him below the Hun, it was only a long range glancing shot.

Name:	DSC_5258.jpg 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	137819

His next shot was no better, but the over dive had done the trick with his fire, which now subsided.

Name:	DSC_5259.jpg 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	137820

Name:	DSC_5260.jpg 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	137821

Before he could take this in, the balloon finally exploded with a roar which tossed his aircraft aside like a rag doll. On recovering his composure he realized that whilst his fire had finally guttered, his enemy also caught up in the blast had not been so lucky.

Name:	DSC_5262.jpg 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	137822

The Fokker was now burning.

Name:	DSC_5264.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	137824

van der Maren's own machine was also a bit of a shambles by now, so with his objective achieved, he turned away from his erstwhile antagonist, and nursed his crippled Be back toward the lines.

Name:	DSC_5265.jpg 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	137825

The German machine picked up a further 3 fire points on his way home but managed to get his machine down intact.

Name:	DSC_5266.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	137826

Peter, however now came within range of the German Archie who had only just got the range, but it failed to score a hit,

Name:	DSC_5267.jpg 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	137827

and he crossed No man's land very relieved to still be in one piece.

Name:	DSC_5268.jpg 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	137828

Despite losing Crackit, the advance could go ahead, and at least today for the PBI the wurst was over.

The Butcher's bill.

52 Sq. The Bulldogs.

Peter van der Maren RTB. one kill.
    Toby Crackit. SD. EXP.ET.

Name:	DSC_5271.jpg 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	137830

The Eagles.

Unknown pilot R.T.B. one kill.
    Observation balloon destroyed.

Name:	DSC_5272.jpg 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	137831

Name:	DSC_5270.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	137829

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5263.jpg  
    Last edited by flash; 07-22-2014 at 01:23. Reason: Title adjustment
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think the Fokker still takes the "A" damage even after a quick landing unless it blew the flames out in the dive.

Another cracker there Rob. Pity you had to loose a pilot that way. Perhaps he survived the impact?

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    I think the Fokker still takes the "A" damage even after a quick landing unless it blew the flames out in the dive.
    Right Chuck. As it made no difference to his survival, I did not bother finding a fire token. It was right at the end of the game and I was ready for my lunch.
    Rob.

But if the damage pushed it over wouldn't it count as a victory? It had 10 damage already so 1 more would have done it.

Thumbs up

Well you had no shortage of Fire cards in that one Rob! You sure you dont have extras in there by accident?

Poor old Crackit he's now Crackedup!

Maybe just maybe he got lucky & survived the fiery crash.

Great AAR & you like me got it with a BOOM!

Great AAR Rob - and another sausage succumbs to the boom card Hopefully Crackit will survive - someone has to explain how their bird was lost to the French!

But if the damage pushed it over wouldn't it count as a victory? It had 10 damage already so 1 more would have done it.
    I suppose that it might have burnt out on the ground Chuck, but as the balloon was the last thing to damage it should it not be awarded the victory?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well you had no shortage of Fire cards in that one Rob! You sure you dont have extras in there by accident?

Poor old Crackit he's now Crackedup!

Maybe just maybe he got lucky & survived the fiery crash.

Great AAR & you like me got it with a BOOM!
    it is the first time that I have seen everything on the table on fire Baz. Good job Crackit was not flying Kyte's plane otherwise we might be inclined to believe that the fire jinx had re surfaced.
    As it was Crackit's first mission, you might say it was a baptism of fire!
    Rob.

Nicely done Rob, another cracking AAR and some of the wurst puns ever !! Let us know what happens to young Crackit

"He is wise who watches"

But if the damage pushed it over wouldn't it count as a victory?
    For Billy Bishop maybe...!

"He is wise who watches"

Do we know if young crackit survived?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Do we know if young crackit survived?
    I am awaiting Dave's deliberations on this matter, but no news has come from the Germans.
    Rob.

Another beautifully staged and framed AAR Rob,
    I must admit, if I draw a red skull, I accept the verdict as terminal. Still, I shall continue to hope for young Crackit's survival.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Another beautifully staged and framed AAR Rob,
    I must admit, if I draw a red skull, I accept the verdict as terminal. Still, I shall continue to hope for young Crackit's survival.
    In my private games I do the same John, but for the sake of a little continuity in the campaign I let the Tower of Doom decide.
    Rob.

I shall examine the possibilitiy of some attitude self adjustment
    Nope, I shall continue the slaughter

I know a lot of players don't like the bang card, but I am usually a rules kind of guy, so using the outcome cards is as far as I wish to go.
    If we were all the same, it would be too boring

Quite so John. I like playing about with the collision cards too, and have you noticed I never fly against a named pilot unless it is a known Ace in his own machine?
    Rob.

We tried to be all the same once with the cards but that didn't work out so we reverted to the roll as it had the boom card accounted for.
    Bad news for young Crackit Rob - rolled a 3 -3 exp = 0 KIA

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bad news for young Crackit Rob - rolled a 3 -3 exp = 0 KIA
    Thanks for performing the last rites Dave.
    I guess Crackit just couldn't hack it. To think I nearly gave Kyte the Nieuport for that mission, and then thought it would be a good idea to blood some of the new pilots instead. I just did not expect that much blood.
    I will let you have a replacement pilot as soon as I have conferred with Mr. Richardens.
    Rob.

Awesome AAR Rob, ooh hark at you with your burning balloon.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    For Billy Bishop maybe...!

Cant wait to read this new one on BB to be released soon I hope.

Name:	Peter Killduff Bishop Book.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	137863

Amazing amount of fire there Rob! Great AAR again. Love your backdrop scenery.

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:31
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 10:14
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18