Ares Games

Thread: New member + info

Taravel

Question New member + info

Hi,
    I'm a new member of this comunity.
    I write because I want to start to play wings of glory WW1 and I have a lot of questions.
    I already played Wings of war in past so I know the basis of the game.

1) For now I have only the WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack in German. Is enough to play in 4?
    I know that it is written in the manual but I haven't read yet the rules because I don't know really well the German language (the seller told me that was in English XD ).
    The doubt grow in my head because I downloaded the English rules and there is written that it is for 2 airplanes/players but in this box I saw 4 airplane consoles. ?_?

2) I was thinking to buy some airplanes so I started looking online for bundle discounts.
    I found this list of airplanes sold for a decent price (90€) but I have no clue if they are a good start or they are just a lot of crap that the seller wants to get rid of.
    In particular I don't know if it makes sense to have more copies of the same airplane or not.
    I also read the data of the airplanes but I have no clue about the real benefits in game.
    What do you think?
    Fokker A.III (Buddecke)
    Fokker DR.I (Kirschstein)
    Fokker DR.I (Lothar Von Richthofen)
    Fokker DR.I (Von Richthofen)
    SPAD XIII (Coadou)
    SPAD XIII (Madon)
    SPAD XIII (Rickenbaker)
    Airco DH.2 (Saundby)
    Halberstadt D.III (Keudell)
    Morane-Saulnier Type N (Chaput)
    Morane-Saulnier Type N (Gilbert)
    Siemens-Schukert D.III (Von Beaulieu-Marconnay)

3) I will buy also a board: any advice of which one to buy? Are there any real difference among them?

4) Is there any other important thing that I should buy?

Thank you up front!

Antonio you can get planes in this site or other on line sites. Some on EBAY charge much higher prices than on line dealers. Check around before you buy. And welcome to the site.

Taravel

Thank you for replying. Actually I already had a look on ebay/sites but I never found a so low price/unit ratio ( 7.5€/unit ). That's why I asked if they were just garbage. Anyway if you have some specific advice on some airplanes and some shop I would be happy

Hi Antonio welcome to you, from Bristol UK

Looking at your list and I think it is a little unbalanced for early war scenario but basically good. You would probably need a Fokker EIII or two to fight the Morane-Saulnier Type N's. The SS D.III would be good up against a Sopwith Snipe too. I reckon you can download an english version of the rule book if you hunt for it. I did that when my boxed set came with Italian rules.

Welcome Taravel

I'll try to answer your questions: The game can be played with 2 players and up, depending on the number of airplanes you have.

Yes, it does make sense to have two or more copies of the same airplane, BUT JUST if you will make a repaint of the the plane.

The bundle you show looks like a good deal, offering Early and Late war battles. But i recommend you start playing the game with the cards, as there isn't too much complicated rules to understand in a few time, like altitude. BUT as you have the Rules & Acessories pack i think you will be fine, then go for the miniatures.

Ares play mat is great, and as you have noticed, it has 3 parts, offering diferents landscapes, and different scenarios: Coast, Countryside, and City.

For a good start i dont really think that is anything more important.

Nick

Hi Antonio
    Welcome to the Drome!

1) Your Rules and Accessories Pack can cater for 4 planes in a dogfight.

2) The Fokker AIII and the Halberstadt can fight against the Morane Saulniers and / DH2 for a 1916 game
    All the others can fight each other in 1917/1918, but would easily overpower the 1916 planes.

None of these planes should be considered as "crap" - they all have their uses against contemporary opponents. That price sounds like a great deal! Any single planes you don't like you can always sell on!

Multiples of the same aircraft type are handy if two players want to fly two aircraft each - the identical movement decks simplify control of multiple aircraft.
    A repainter may want to alter the colour scheme of an aircraft to represent a pair of machines from the same squadron (GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!)

3) Any of the game mats is a great backdrop to gameplay - there is no functional difference between them, except that the City or Coastal mats offer up more interesting details for possible bombing or reconnaissance missions.

4) I would personally recommend the purchase of a pair of two-seaters, one for each side, to allow recon, bombing, artillery spotting or transport missions. Since your plane list has more Late War planes than Early War I would recommend a Rumpler CIV and an RE8.

Have fun!!

Antonio, welcome from Cape Cod.

If you only have the Rules and Accessories pack you have wide open options for purchasing planes. Early, mid or late war, your choice but probably best to start with one. The ARES and NEXUS painted planes are great to get.
    If you like to paint your own, Shapeways has just about everything that flew. Here is a list of 1/144 planes available. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...0&d=1405364811

Keep an eye for PBEM games. Lots of fun and you can get to try out planes you don't have yet.

Peter

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Taravel View Post
    Thank you for replying. Actually I already had a look on ebay/sites but I never found a so low price/unit ratio ( 7.5€/unit ). That's why I asked if they were just garbage. Anyway if you have some specific advice on some airplanes and some shop I would be happy
    G'day Antonio & welcome to the 'drome.
    In my opinion that is a good buy for the price & a good mix of early & late war aircraft.

Now your query re rules/players.
    I think the one mentioning 2 players/aircraft is from one of the Duel packs which supply limited rules & one Allied & one German plane. That box cost about $30US about the same cost as the full rules & decks in the RAP box which does not have planes.
    Check out the WW1 After Action section of the Forum & you will see you can play Solo games or have many players & planes in action in games.
    Re the "Boards". I presume you mean the Games Mats (?)
    These come in 3 types City, Country & Coast. All 3 will intermix & you really need at least 2 for a good gaming area.

Hope that helps & do not be backward in asking if you need any more help/info.

hi antonio welcome to the aerodrome!!!

the box set will support 4+ aircraft. what you downloaded probably refers to one of the duel airplane packs that contain enough counters for 2 aircraft.

the grouping looks like a good start. the fokker EIII and moraine-sauliner are good for early war scenarios. the airco dh2 and halberstadt dIII are a good early-mid war match up. the dr1s and spadXIIIs are mid-late war aircraft and can be matched up though you might want to look into getting some sopwith camels and albatros dVs to add to the mix. the sieman schuckert DIII is a late war aircraft and pretty much outclasses all the others listed but with the balancing factor of the damage deck the spads could give it a run.

any non slip surface will work for game play. ive found that plexiglas is too slippery and makes it difficult to remove maneuver cards without moving the aircraft. paper maps inevitably have seams and are too easy to move while executing maneuvers for my liking. i will say that the ares play mats, with the countryside graphics, really add to the visual impact of the game. my only, minor, complaint is that the background of the cards is too close in color to the background of the mats and its easy to miss-lay cards that have blended into the background.

something else important to consider is storage for the miniatures and game components. up to now ive been using the original boxes for that but i just hit the 50 minis mark and transport and management is getting to be cumbersome and im starting to notice wear and tear on the boxes and trays (i work at a local game store so my minis get a lot of use). im looking into foam tray storage. im eagerly awaiting developments in keiths (oberst hajj) experiments with his laser cutter and foam types as that looks to be promising (then ill need a bag to hold them, it just never ends ).

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Antonio, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

You can use the rules from the two-player pack with more than two aeroplanes. The rules are the same however many planes there are.

Taravel

Thank you to all of you guys! I will buy this pack of airplanes and one mat. If my friends like the game maybe I will consider to buy another mat, the two seats airplanes and two bombers. Unfortunately seems that no one in the forum comes from where I live XD

Quote Originally Posted by Taravel View Post
    Thank you to all of you guys! I will buy this pack of airplanes and one mat. If my friends like the game maybe I will consider to buy another mat, the two seats airplanes and two bombers. Unfortunately seems that no one in the forum comes from where I live XD
    keep hopeful. im the only one in the roughly 20+- people i play with fairly regularly that belong to the forum (not for the lack of recruiting i might add). im fairly sure the ratio probably holds true in your area as well. try advertising at your friendly local game store or maybe introduce your non gaming friends to wog. you might just be surprised by their reaction.

HI and welcome from Italy

i see my fellow players already answered most of your question, there is just one detail i would like to point out:

game mats dimensions: ares game mats are (roughly) 60x90 cm, while slow and agile airplanes would have no problems on that area your SPAD XIIIs might have trouble since they are very fast but not very agile and needs some room to fully use their hit and run favored tactics (remember any airplane leaving the gaming area is considered eliminated under usual scenario rules), in light of this you might want to aim for a 120x90 surface to give them enough room.

welcome again

Claudio

On behalf of the rest of the pilots based here in dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome Antonio.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Looking for info on 85 Sqn
    By tonyc206 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 12:30
  2. 2013 Origins member's tribute to 2014 member one
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 08:37
  3. Nur zur Info...
    By Crysagon in forum German Wing
    Replies: 2