Ares Games

Thread: Kest 5 flight

Default Kest 5 flight

A while back I posted a realitively quick repaint/touch-up of The Ares Kest 5 Siemens-Schuckert.

The research for that inspired me to paint up the other well documented planes in that Kest. My Arnold Eger repaint is already in the other thread, so you can check that out over there if you care to.

Heinrich Dembrowsky

Fritz Beckhardt

I feel I should take a minute to note that I've generally considered objections to the depiction of swastikas in historical context to be silly and counterproductive, especially when unrelated to the German Nazi party or WWII (also, it's backwards). But I've also thought it not worth the trouble of dealing with those who felt otherwise, so I've eschewed them anyway. Then I came across Fritz Beckhardt. For those of you who don't know, this pilot was Jewish, and was credited with somewhere between 10 and 17 kills and several medals, but the Nazi party placed him in a concentration camp anyway, and expunged his record for good measure. I believe this is a story worth memorializing.

Finally, I like having 4 planes to round out a flight, so I broke down and created a fictional paint scheme for my wife...

The Egers insignia suggested the theme, and it is at least historically plausible, as the skull is from a dinosaur discovered in Germany well before WWI. Rep to whoever can name the species.

Credits
    Planes: Ares Games
    Decals: self printed
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 07-20-2014 at 13:57.

Your planes are magnificent and Fritz Beckhardt story is one I know and I agree with you, it should be shared.

If its the Spinosaurus you should have put the skull on the prop blades!

Great looking planes.

What a great looking flight you've made. Nice work.

Really nice flight there, super decals

Great looking aircraft you did there.

Skull looks a lot like Archaeopteryx lithographica, from the Solnhofen limestone (hence "lithographica," as in "limestone printing plates") of Bavaria...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Skull looks a lot like Archaeopteryx lithographica, from the Solnhofen limestone (hence "lithographica," as in "limestone printing plates") of Bavaria...
    Winner! I also thought it was an apt choice, being commonly thought to be the first bird (or flying dinosaur, or winged dinousaur, or whathaveyou...).

Great paint jobs on those. I am glad I won the raffle for the planes I received.

May I also add the last picture is fantastic. Like they were flying just below the cloud cover. Great flight. Well deserved REP too.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    May I also add the last picture is fantastic. Like they were flying just below the cloud cover. Great flight. Well deserved REP too.
    Ha!....cool photo.

A different Kest from the usual, and some very fine decals Todd.
    10 out of 10.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great work there Todd - love them all

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 00:01
  2. Kest 5 Siemens-Schuckert repaint, or touch-up?
    By Pseudotheist in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:49
  3. Fw 190 in flight
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 13:32
  4. Fokker D.11's etc for a Kest line up.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 03:51
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 02:52