Ares Games

Thread: 9jg26 Me109 colours

Default 9jg26 Me109 colours

Hi all,
    Need help with colour scheme for Me109's.
    The question is do all the planes have a yellow nose in the squadron, or is the yellow nose reserved for the flight leader only.
    Neil

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

All or none - in the Battle Of Britain it was a JG marking used for identifying formations - there were also red nosed and I think white nosed units. The rudder may well be yellow too depending on the unit.

On the eastern front it was pretty much universal as a theatre marking - yellow nose, rudder, and usually a fuselage band and wingtips too.
    Last edited by Dom S; 07-20-2014 at 12:58.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Update having had a bit of a rummage - for JG.26 it looks like they went yellow nosed in mid August 1940, and 9 probably only had the nose in yellow initially - yellow rudders seem to be "sometimes yes, sometimes no" for JG.26 in 1940, so it's possible some aircraft had yellow rudders and others just the nose, or possible (more likely, imo) that they just did the noses initially, and at some point repainted the rudders too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hi all,
    Need help with colour scheme for Me109's.
    The question is do all the planes have a yellow nose in the squadron, or is the yellow nose reserved for the flight leader only.
    Neil
    109's in WW1 & still they did not Win.
    Must have been that Sopwith Spitfire that turned the tables.

Depending on who provides the references, the planes were all over the place.

This is a site I use for matching planes to pilots for cards and repaints:
    Bf-109E -JG26.9

Another site is:
    Alderhorst Hangar/jg-26-emil-profiles
    This page appears to back up Dom, but the F page doesn't have yellow noses.

So, I don't know if this helps at all. I just use any photos or reasonable images, and hope no-one notices.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    109's in WW1 & still they did not Win.
    Must have been that Sopwith Spitfire that turned the tables.
    Apologies for the school boy error for posting in the WW1 section , but in my defence I was distracted by my 7yr old son. I can't even multi-task!!
    Last edited by Sparky; 07-21-2014 at 10:52.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Apologies for the school boy error for posting in the WW1 section , but in my defence I was distracted by my 7yr old son. I can't even multi-task!!
    Not to worry Neil you are not the first to do that!
    Why even I posted my first WW2 AAR in the WW1 section.
    Old habits die hard.

I resemble that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Not to worry Neil you are not the first to do that!
    Why even I posted my first WW2 AAR in the WW1 section.
    Old habits die hard.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Well at least i've made a few people laugh with my thread being in the wrong place!
    Thanks for the moral support on your second post Barry

I also find it difficult to scroll down the main Forum page to the 'Darkside' , like you say Barry old habits die hard!

I'm glad to see a moderator did not tear you a new one like he did to me when I made a mistake.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Dom's correct some aircraft had white noes and on some the camo and blue sides continued to the prop spinner. When you look into it you'll find that some units will have a mix – I guess depending on what replacements they are sent.

If you want further references to a particular unit I'll go through a couple of books to give you more definitive answers. Some aircraft from JG 2, JG 3 and JG53 had white noses during the BoB.

They switched camo colours during the end of the BoB period from the greyish green to true greys and sometimes with light grey undersides replacing the blue. Some planes and a mix of colours perhaps suggesting the wings had been repaired and many camo patterns were painted at a unit level quite literally in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    I'm glad to see a moderator did not tear you a new one like he did to me when I made a mistake.
    Just spotted this John.I think it should be moved to WWII before anyone else notices.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just spotted this John.I think it should be moved to WWII before anyone else notices.
    Rob.
    A very gentlemanly way of handling a mistake.

Thread moved.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    John, if someone responded to you in a way you felt was inappropriate, I would appreciate you sharing the event with me. We don't want business to be conducted in a way that tears down members. Please send me a PM, if you desire.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Similar Missions

1. Fleet Air Arm colours
    By Jager in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 01:57
  2. South England Colours 2012
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 14:11
  3. Tyre Colours
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18