Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aeronaut Arado 196

Default aeronaut Arado 196

I know it's plastic rather than resin but I did not know a better place to post it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5333.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	137703

Name:	DSC_5334.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	137704

Name:	DSC_5335.jpg 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	137705

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent.
    I'm not allowed to give you any more REP this time, so if someone can make that for me, I'll be in your debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Excellent.
    I'm not allowed to give you any more REP this time, so if someone can make that for me, I'll be in your debt.
    Don't worry old bean. I'll take your remarks as compliment enough.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Well done, Rob. Is that going to scout over Malta?

Incidentally, why is there no 'plastic model' thread in the Hobby Room? Perhaps you should start one.

Lovely job! I am assuming it's 1/200 as a cursory look at the site did not bring up a scale?

Edit: I can't give you a rep point either until I spread the love around a bit, but it is definitely worth a point.

Edit edit: OK, found the scale on a UK seller's website. Several ordered.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 07-20-2014 at 11:12.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Arado Ar 196A-3:
    Max Speed: 193 mph
    Cruising Speed: 158 mph.
    Ceiling: 22,960'
    Range: 665 miles
    Weapons: 2 x fixed forward firing 20mm canon in wings. 1 7.92mm fixed forward firing in stbd forward fuselage. 1 trainable 7.92mm in rear cockpit. Underwing racks for 2 110lb bombs.

At a guess?
    Maneuver Deck: L* (no immelman?)
    Damage: 18
    Short Range: CCA/A
    Long Range: CA/A

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I know it's plastic rather than resin but I did not know a better place to post it.

Name:	DSC_5334.jpg 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	137704

Name:	DSC_5335.jpg 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	137705

Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

The card Max did says:-

Maneuver Deck: K (no immelman?)
    Short Range: CC/A
    Long Range: C/A

Rob.

I agree with the L deck but without reverse and no 90ş turns.

Climb rate 980ft/min or 300m/min. Can't work that one out. Didn't have an K deck to compare. If it is shorter than the L then go for that. I would have thought it would have been able to do a 90 degree turn. Perhaps just leave 1 in deck not 2. What a plane to put up against the swordfish! Bismark carried 4!

The K deck is faster than the L deck. The floaters take them a lot of maneuverability. The L deck only has 1 right and 1 left 90ş turns if I'm not mistaken.

In that case I appeal to Caesar in the form of the Stats Committee, before I start knocking out the wrong cards.
    Rob.

In that case I appeal to Caesar in the form of the Stats Committee, before I start knocking out the wrong cards.
    Rob.
    Well chosen, sir. A PM might fasten things up.

After it finishes with the Bismark it will turn up in 1942 with the Germans over Malta. You must have spotted the white band. It is a pity that I can't get any Italian sea planes! The ones I saw in Italy were superb, especially the Snider Trophy competitors.

I don't know why we have no plastic thread with all the "Valom" kits that are on the go?
    Rob.

I think that changing Metal and Resin Models to Plastic, Metal and Resin Models will be enough.

It looks very well
    Another mini for your Medditeranean Thatre?

Yes Daniel.
    I am finally getting it together pretty well, but just when you think you have it covered you read another book and find yet another aircraft to source.
    Walrus anybody?
    Rob.

Rob, i just posted a comment in your thread, where you show your Mosquitoes, and I guess i'll have to say the same words i used:
    This plane is STUNNING, and this color scheme, my god, you are trying to kill me.

Excellent.
    Joaquim, you can be sure i'll give these reputation points

Nick

Rob.
    You Rang?

The problem is that 196mph - 310kmh. That's slow. Too slow for any of the official decks.

The unofficial ZM deck for Biplanes of 305-355kmh is a bit too maneuverable - we could delete the 90' turns, but the Ar196 did have an impressive record of kills, and was praised for its maneuverability. Making another deck just for this aircraft.... when we have no good turn rate data so are guestimating anyway...no, use the ZM deck unmodified. This puts it in the same general category as the Hs123, I-15, and He51.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1243

Damage - EWIT is 3, so damage is 18.

Armament : CCA/A , CA/A

Thanks very much Zoe.
    Your response was as good as any butler has ever made to me. Come to think of it, not surprising as I don't have a butler.
    There will be a tip in it for yourself, however, for being so kind as to put my mind at rest so quickly.
    Thanks for that, and I trust your recovery is progressing well.
    Rob.

Nakajima A6M2 Rufe!

Yes Daniel.
    I am finally getting it together pretty well, but just when you think you have it covered you read another book and find yet another aircraft to source.
    Walrus anybody?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Nakajima A6M2 Rufe!
    And the same to you sir.

Are you meaning this aircraft, and if so how do I convert it into a Walrus?

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	137737

Rob.

Dunno but I managed to change this

Name:	P1040586 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	137738

into this

Name:	P1040597.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	137739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040598.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	137740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040599.jpg 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	137741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040600.jpg 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	137742

And a cracking job you made of it too Neil.
    Are you becoming a budding Clipper's apprentice?
    Rob.

Bye the bye Neil, did you also know that the Japs flew the Arado? Just apparently not the Italians.
    Rob.

Any pics? Can't find any links to this anywhere.

Neil

Bye the bye Neil, did you also know that the Japs flew the Arado? Just apparently not the Italians.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The "Japanese" Arado is a little murky. The German auxiliary cruiser Thor had its Arado marked up with hinomaru when operating in the far east, but I don't know if it was ever actually handed over to Japanese pilots - I think the markings were rather a "flag of convenience" as it were. (Thor's career ended in Yokohama harbour.) I believe the Michel's Arado was also marked this way, but not certain there.

Similarly there were a pair of Arados based in Penang in 1944, but they were flown by Germans, wearing Japanese insignia. The only photo I've ever seen is here:

http://www.scalemates.com/albums/img/85530-o.jpg

Excellent, floaters, Neil!
    Beautiful painting job!

Cheers Dom. Leaves it open for a bit of combined Axis operations in the far east.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    The "Japanese" Arado is a little murky. The German auxiliary cruiser Thor had its Arado marked up with hinomaru when operating in the far east, but I don't know if it was ever actually handed over to Japanese pilots - I think the markings were rather a "flag of convenience" as it were. (Thor's career ended in Yokohama harbour.) I believe the Michel's Arado was also marked this way, but not certain there.

Similarly there were a pair of Arados based in Penang in 1944, but they were flown by Germans, wearing Japanese insignia. The only photo I've ever seen is here:

http://www.scalemates.com/albums/img/85530-o.jpg

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

PS - Rob, for the Walrus try dropping Skytrex a line - HBM, possibly Helmet, and definitely Skytrex have all had the Walrus in the past - of the three I suspect Skytrex would be the most likely to reappear. Or if you're feeling brave, try this....

http://chomikuj.pl/gregorius319/mode...1375086088.pdf

Any pics? Can't find any links to this anywhere.

Neil
    Try here for starters.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/galle...r19648rs_1.htm

And for what it's worth this.

http://ww2seaplanes.e-monsite.com/pa...page-test.html

This is what Wings Palette has to say about it.

Name:	2_39.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	137744

Unit: unknown

Serial: unknown
    Having indication as 'Fliegerkommando beim Marinesonderdienst Ostasien (Penang)' = East Asia Navy Special Service Air Command (Penang), establishment of a little German Navy Air Command began in 1st of March 1944 at Pulau Penang, a little island near West coast of Malaysia in strategic important Malacca Straits (Selat Malakka). Its task was, with two airplanes Arado Ar.196, to support in Penang in- and outgoing submarines. Ar.196 arrived also with HSK 10 'Thor' and HSK 28 'Michel' as well as with different supply ships (like 'Uckermark') to Japan. On 25th December 1942, the Berlin Navy Command ordered that the ships sailing the sea in this moment should not return home but have to steer for Japan. The already long time before war created, secret supply- and support organization Marinesonderdienst (MSD = N
    avy Special Service) was active from the end of 1940 in East Asia region. Now, they took over also HSK-supply, later also U-Booten (submarines) supply and loaded the covert transporters of war-important raw-materials for Germany. From 15th of April 1944 the MSD became a department within OKM (Oberkommando der Marine - Navy Supreme Command). It is possible to state position and activity of Peneng Air Command from the following report to Air General Ritter from 6th of March 1944 : 'In Penang, 2 Ar.196's are embattled under command of Oltn.z.See (Oberleutnant zur See = Navy Senior Lieutenant) Horn. They need ammunition. They wear Japanese national marking. Their tasks : reconnaissance in region of supply point and support of our U-boot from the end of February 1944.

Artist: Š Manfred Meyer
    Source: Flieger-Revue Extra, No.14

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-21-2014 at 03:49.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

PS - Total blank on a 1/200 RO 43 though, which rather scuppers the Italians as it was pretty much their exclusive shipboard floatplane. If you can track down a Reggiane 2000 though (HBM used to make one) that gives you a catapult option, albeit one that certainly won't float....

Very nice...now do I have what I need? I'll get back to you.

Neil

PS - Rob, for the Walrus try dropping Skytrex a line - HBM, possibly Helmet, and definitely Skytrex have all had the Walrus in the past - of the three I suspect Skytrex would be the most likely to reappear. Or if you're feeling brave, try this....

Cheers Dom.
    A mine of information as usual.
    Rob.

PS - Total blank on a 1/200 RO 43 though, which rather scuppers the Italians as it was pretty much their exclusive shipboard floatplane. If you can track down a Reggiane 2000 though (HBM used to make one) that gives you a catapult option, albeit one that certainly won't float....

Name:	Photo0666.jpg 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	137745

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Ha, I should've guessed you'd already been on that case Zoe....

PS - Rob, for the Walrus try dropping Skytrex a line - HBM, possibly Helmet, and definitely Skytrex have all had the Walrus in the past
    While I don't have an HBM Walrus, I do have an HBM London. I'm trying to gather the courage to assemble it. Resin biplanes with multiple struts are a challenge.

Now 3D printed versions don't have that problem (hint hint).

Name:	supermarine_walrus-05255.jpg 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	137746

I tried to buy(?)/download this walrus to try to build it, but for my sake I wasn't capable.
    Can someone give a step by step guide to do it?

Thanks.

I tried to buy(?)/download this walrus to try to build it, but for my sake I wasn't capable.
    Can someone give a step by step guide to do it?

Thanks.
    What scale is the Walrus Quim?
    If it is 1:200 and I can get one, I will do a "How to for you".
    Rob.

I already got it, Rob.
    I'll build it and if it is any good I'll send you one.

Very kind Quim.
    Is it I:200 scale?
    Rob.

It is 1/200. And it seems to be very accurate and an excellent build. I'll tell you this weekend.

Notes on various types mentioned here.

Walrus. As far as I know Wiking only made a wooden 1/200 model used for making training (eg,recognition) pictures and slides. HBM made only the Sea Otter. X-Models made a dandy Walrus. Helmet made a very nice one. I believe Paul still offers one as a Helmet Aircraft 200 item. Skytrex made at least one Walrus. Also worthwhile. Assorted copies appeared under various makers names such as FMS. The big news for Walrus fans is that Shed Models will be bringing one out soon. Chris says it is a generation newer and more accurate than any previous editions. A good writeup on this is in the current edition of TOTS (The One True Scale). (Should I be posting copies of TOTS?)

IMAM RO.43. These appeared in the 1980's under the aegis of Romy Hauk. Check with Carsten Breiting on whether the current owner, MMP, can supply castings or perhaps run a batch for you. High rollers should note that a spinoff from Fine Art Models is prepping a Roma mounting R.43's, but expect a price in the $12-15,000 range. You do, of course, get the whole battleship with the floatplanes. There is also a card model of the Roma.

Arado 196. The Wiking is a good one. A bit scarce as production ceased in 1945. You might be able to pick up a Dr. Grope reissue on eBay from refurbished WM tooling. Didn't Konishi also make an Arado? I have a few of the HBM left. Those are first-come-first served. AIM would happily make more. I will post a list of HBM remainders in a few days. The Fine Art Model from their Bismark and Tirpitz is gorgeous. There are at least two 1/200 card models, and remember that with your color copier any card model is only a shrink or expand away. No pun was intended there.

Rufe. The Konishi is very nice. The HBM are all gone, but ask Dave Schmid if he/AIM would make more. Lot of Zeke's out there. The Fuji Art is probably the nicest, and it gives you the option of casting or vacuforming a clear canopy.

Ron

Ron, your imput is amazing, very needed, accurate and - speaking for myself - I want all you can give about all things 1/200.
    Thanks a lot and please do post copies of TOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar200 View Post
    Arado 196. The Wiking is a good one. A bit scarce as production ceased in 1945.
    Ron - you must be British. That is a masterpiece of understatement.

HBM has been a godsend to those of us who want more WWII aircraft. The partnership of HBM handing over to AIM promises even better for the future. All we have to do now is get the Official Unofficial Stats committee to do more research and try to shoehorn these aircraft into the existing card decks.

Any idea where X-models can be obtained? Any URLs?

Arado Ar 196A-3:
    Max Speed: 193 mph
    Cruising Speed: 158 mph.
    Ceiling: 22,960'
    Range: 665 miles
    Weapons: 2 x fixed forward firing 20mm canon in wings. 1 7.92mm fixed forward firing in stbd forward fuselage. 1 trainable 7.92mm in rear cockpit. Underwing racks for 2 110lb bombs.

At a guess?
    Maneuver Deck: L* (no immelman?)
    Short Range: CCA/A
    Long Range: CA/A
    There is a cards here:

Trumpeter future releases

Mike

Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    You Rang?

The problem is that 196mph - 310kmh. That's slow. Too slow for any of the official decks.

The unofficial ZM deck for Biplanes of 305-355kmh is a bit too maneuverable - we could delete the 90' turns, but the Ar196 did have an impressive record of kills, and was praised for its maneuverability. Making another deck just for this aircraft.... when we have no good turn rate data so are guestimating anyway...no, use the ZM deck unmodified. This puts it in the same general category as the Hs123, I-15, and He51.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1243

Damage - EWIT is 3, so damage is 18.

Armament : CCA/A , CA/A
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    There is a cards here:

Trumpeter future releases

Mike
    And my stats opinion, here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post296004
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rob.
    Rob,
    This is the closest I can come with RLM colour chips. Even then, I darkened them down to try to match your plane.

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Ar196A2_SAGr125.png  Views: 64  Size: 366.5 KB  ID: 138092" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-23-2014 at 12:13. Reason: Fuselage band and markings

Don't worry about it Mike.
    That is near enough. I would have been quite happy with the other one. At least I have a pukka card for the type.
    When you have it in your photo album I will download it.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Latest offering from Aeronaut - SSW Aircraft of WWI
    By Baldrick62 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 10:13
  2. WGFE: Rumpler Aircraft of WWI (Aeronaut)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 13:37
  3. Another Release from Aeronaut
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 10:41
  4. WGFE: Aviatik Aircraft of WWI (Aeronaut)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 00:43