Ares Games

Thread: does anyone make minis in 1:400?

Default does anyone make minis in 1:400?

or a similar scale? I had a look in the Shapeways sub forum, it seems all the recommended stores create in 1:144 or 1:1200. What are the other commonly supported scales? 1:200 is fantastic, but im wondering about when those B17's come out, theres not going to be much space left to fly around 2 of them in a single ares mat play space..

1:600 is a fairly common scale. Maybe a bit smaller than you were looking for, but they are available.
    http://www.tumblingdiceuk.com/ has a selection in white metal.
    I'm sure you could find quite a few at Shapeways.

You could try 1/300 scale.
    See you on the Dark Side......

yes 1:600 is a bit small, id be interested if anyone had any links for 1:300 stuff?

Thumbs up

Evan

Shapeways abounds in 1:300 scale aircraft! Some very interesting designers! When i was building 1:285/1:300 planes 30 years ago there were few decals available. Now I-94 makes a nice line of decals!

Rich

http://www.i-94enterprises.com/produ...ting-solution/

http://www.i-94enterprises.com/wp-co...-Reference.pdf

If you are looking at 1/300 try Heroics and Ross for WW2. GHQ are in 1/285 and have few WW2 planes. C in C are 1/285 and they do WW1 and WW2. All are in white metal.

Try Scotia Grendel. They do have a good line of 1/300 planes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The basics have been covered here - in 1/300 the main players are Heroics and Ros, and Scotia. (Skytrex had a range too, but I believe that's been bought up by Heroics and Ros.) There's also a small but rather nice range from Museum miniatures, and Luftwaffe 46 in the USA have a range too - much of their range is the same models as Scotia make (which are cheaper from Scotia), but they also have a smaller number of unique sculpts, so are worth a look.

In the slightly larger, but broadly compatible, 1/285 scale, the Raiden range, now produced by I-94, is the main candidate - out of all of the 1/285 and 1/300 ranges this would be my go-to one, as the best balance between quality and price. GHQ and C in C both have smaller and more expensive ranges in 1/285, albeit of very nice models.

For decals there are a few options; GHQ have a small range, Scale Specialties do a small range of exceptionally nice sheets of markings for specific units, and all manner of national insignia and suchlike can be had from I-94 or, ahem, Dom's Decals.

Dom.

I had amassed a substantial collection of WWI miniatures in 1/285-1/300 from H&R, CinC, GHQ, and Goblintooth (the latter now defunct, I think) before Shapeways popped to life; that's why almost all of my Shapeways designs are available in 1/288 as well as 1/144. There are also a fair number of WWI miniatures in 1/350 for "In Clouds of Glory". I'm not as familiar with WWII offerings.

Skywave, Pit Road, Aoshima, Fujimi and Tsukuda produce(d) 1:700 scale plastic models.

Check HobbyLink Japan--it'll be mostly WWII, look for Aircraft Carrier Accessory Sets or Aircraft Sets.

EDIT: I THINK I saw some in 1/350-1/400 last time I was there. I know Trumpeter used to have a decent line of 1/350 WWII USN birds and B-25s...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-19-2014 at 17:32.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The OP's already said 1/600 is a bit small for him, so 1/700 is presumably a non-starter though chaps.

I just managed to finally quit a job I needed to leave for years. YAY I have some time again
    !
    So, to spark this thread back up, I'm still on the hunt for smaller scale minis!
    one of the annoying things I've noticed about shapeways is their search function is so bad. You can't type in 1:400 and expect to get much of use.. I would love to find a line that has lots of options, one of my favourite things about Ares is they have for the most part maintained a similar look to the Nexus minis. I never use other companies minis as I like the visual consistency.

So the Scotia stuff seems to tick that box! its cheap and seems to cover a lot of types. Are they good quality? I do not know what method they use to manufacture them. Are they very accurate looking?

cheers all, will make some purchases soon I hope

One of the challenges of making smaller-scale models for Shapeways is that there is a 1mm minimum diameter for "wires" (that includes struts, undercarriage, gun barrels, booms, etc.) [In some cases they'll let 0.8mm pass.] That means at 1:144, every strut is going to look like it's 144mm (5-1/2") in diameter (quite passable IMHO). At 1:288, that strut looks like 288mm (11") in size: obviously disproportional, but okay. At 1:400 it looks more like the column on a building than a strut. They used to allow 0.4mm "wires" in FUD if they were short enough, but those days are long gone.

That said, there's a pretty nice selection of WWI planes in 1:350 for "In Clouds of Glory" on Shapeways. You might search for that. (I've done very little in that scale -- so this isn't self-advertising.)

By the way, I think Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) material works fine for smaller-scale miniatures.

Thanks for your insights Daryl! Whats your designer name on shapeways?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

1/400 is virtually non-existent as a scale - I'd really advise forgetting it. In 1/300 there are a bunch of cast metal options (Raiden's lovely 1/285 (also C in C and GHQ, but those are much more expensive), Scotia and Heroics and Ros 1/300, as well as a small but very good range from Museum Miniatures.

yep, scratched that one

I have some 1/700 WW2 acft. .... >;)

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 23:50
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 14:28
  3. to make or not to make decals
    By johnandtricia in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 21:39
  4. Replies: 17