Ares Games

Thread: Carrier firing arcs?

Default Carrier firing arcs?

I’ve been reviewing the files for carrier combat. I’ve downloaded the "And All the Ships at Sea", "Japanese Attack on US Carrier" and "Carrier Air War The Ships" files as well as a number of (Mission Card) carrier images.

Most of the files supply short/long range firepower, but in the case of carriers, I’m not finding firing arcs (except on one "Japanese Aircraft Carrier Akagi Mission Card", which seems a little simplified for use with some of the more detailed (and larger) carrier image files). Are they 360°? If not, what kind of angle should they have?

Thanks to all who have contributed these files, and forgive me if this is covered somewhere, I’ve just failed to find it.

Skafloc is probably the man to answer this one for you Max.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yep Neils the man, Check out the files section for carrier data.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

If I remember well, the carrier from Prague Con 2014 (Japaneese Attack on US Carrier) has 360° arcs.

It would depend on how detailed/accurate you want them to be. Bow and stern guns seem to be under the overhang so should have a limited rear arc. Deck guns (either side of the tower like the US carriers) probably a 270 degree arc (taking the blind spot as the tower.) port and starboard gun positions depends on size. 37mm, 20mm would probably engage in batteries grouped near each other. Larger turrets (Japanese) on either side would probably engage as individual and have just short of 180 degree arc. The smaller mg positions (US 0.5) were practically useless but would only be used as point blank cover, blanket area cover or for dive bombers coming in vertical as they could be elevated to cover that area. Again it all depends on how detailed/accurate you want them to be.

Saying that the US worked out that on average it took 20,000+ rounds of 20mm to knock down 1 aircraft!
    See you on the Dark Side......

I use this photo as a reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carte-akagi-mision.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	137701

Every red dot or gun emplacement will have that fire arc. I don't let them fire across the ship.
    On a side note I use a house rule; After everyone plans their move then the ship operator places a AA token out and on the 2nd move any plane foe or friendly that crosses the line between the ship gun and the marker takes damage. They can shoot out one stick with no altitude and two with altitude. But with altitude use a number marker to set the altitude you are shooting at. Just something a little different.

Thomas

An interesting twist to the ground AA rules Tom. I like the idea. It may well work better than drawing cards to decide if there is a hit or not before applying the damage. Does your system give a better chance to hit than the Ares rules?
    Rob.

Only problem with DC's and range finding, AA would be directed to fire into a 'box' or area hoping target would fly through. Altitude could be adjusted very quickly though. I would put the marker out and any aircraft flying through an imaginary line between AA gun/battery and target would be engaged. I would limit this to 1 target per AA group.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 07-20-2014 at 11:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    An interesting twist to the ground AA rules Tom. I like the idea. It may well work better than drawing cards to decide if there is a hit or not before applying the damage. Does your system give a better chance to hit than the Ares rules?
    Rob.
    Yes as it is not a dot the plane has to fly through but a line. The down side, if I can say down, is that you could hit friendly's as well just as easy. My thought on it is that the guys on the ship are shooting at anything coming at them. So everyone that crosses that imaginary line between the ship gun and the shooting token takes damage. Say 2 C's or a B chit. You can set the damage chits as you see fit. Fire and boom are the only special damage that comes with AA fire in my house rule too. I figure the ship is shooting everything it has at the enemy planes. Hope you guys like it.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Only problem with DC's and range finding, AA would be directed to fire into a 'box' or area hoping target would fly through. Altitude could be adjusted very quickly though. I would put the marker out and any aircraft flying through an imaginary line between AA gun/battery and target would be engaged. I would limit this to 1 target per AA group.
    I know what you mean Neil. This rule was to make it easier for kids and adults. Just keeping it fun and its only a house rule.

Thomas

From what I have been reading recently Tom. Having to run the gauntlet of your own flack was pretty much de rigueur for the type of action we are portraying here. Even the expert gunners on Malta were known to let fly at anything that moved, so that would just add verisimilitude to the scenario as far as I am concerned.
    Let's give it a try.
    Rob.

You guys rock. Thanks everyone!

Well if it is ok Tom I would like to run with this in my Air to Ship rules that I am in the process of revamping?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Well if it is ok Tom I would like to run with this in my Air to Ship rules that I am in the process of revamping?
    That's fine with me. I'm glad you like them.

Thomas

Similar Missions

1. Caudron G4 Firing Arcs
    By flashard in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 20:42
  2. Caudron G4 firing arcs
    By johnbiggles in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 05:35
  3. Halberstadt CL.II Firing Arcs
    By fast.git in forum WGF: Historical Discussions