Ares Games

Thread: War And Peace Show 2014

Default War And Peace Show 2014

Just back from spending the day at the War & Peace Show at Folkestone Racecourse - on until Sunday

As usual lots of military vehicles on display and in the arena, and lots of traders as well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cromwell 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	137432
    Cromwell

Name:	Valentine DD 2.jpg 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	137433
    Valentine DD

Name:	Panther.jpg 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	137434
    Panther

However, my friend Ivor and I got into an area of the show where the latest secret military vehicles were being shown, and I managed to sneak this picture of the UK's latest prototype AFV!!!!

Name:	Secret Weapon.jpg 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	137435

Great pics there Brian and thanks for sharing. That last pic of the prototype reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson(sp?) keeps rolling the 3 wheelers, hilarious! I would think that .30 cal does more damage to the mount than the target when fired.

Awesome pics. I have seen a Valentine run before but never a Cromwell and for sure not a Panther. It must have been awesome to see them running around. There is a place in Virginia that has an open house each year and they put on an outstanding show. This year their show competes with a WWI air show in Va Beach so I had to choose. The planes won out.

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    That last pic of the prototype reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson(sp?) keeps rolling the 3 wheelers, hilarious!
    One of Top Gear's funnier moments At least the prototype half-track Reliant Robin won't have that problem! (although it will burn well, as I know from witnessing a Robin fire some years ago - palls of thick black smoke and a stink of melting bodywork that was truly ....... epic!)

I would think that .30 cal does more damage to the mount than the target when fired.
    Don't think that's a problem - this vehicle's main purpose is to disable the enemy by causing hysterical laughter

As I understood it the Ministry deemed it too expensive and are phasing it out in favour of tricycles.

Name:	WW1-Maxim-Tandem-Tricycle-09.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	137436

Name:	WW1-Maxim-Tandem-Tricycle-10.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	137437

Name:	WW1-Maxim-Tandem-Tricycle-11.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	137438

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    At least the prototype half-track Reliant Robin won't have that problem! (although it will burn well, as I know from witnessing a Robin fire some years ago - palls of thick black smoke and a stink of melting bodywork that was truly ....... epic!)
    I hope you didn't breathe in too much of that -- the reason Robins burn so well is in part because the body is *fiberglass*....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I hope you didn't breathe in too much of that
    Luckily not Chris - thick black smoke rolled over the garden, so we went indoors and closed all the windows - then went upstairs where we could (just) see a Robin burning in the road about 50 yards away. A couple of hours later when we went back outside it was still a very unpleasant experience

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As I understood it the Ministry deemed it too expensive and are phasing it out in favour of tricycles.
    Interestingly enough Rob, someone at the show had a German WWII bicycle with panniers to the rear for two stick grenades, and a wooden yoke in front of the handlebars to carry two Panzerfausts!

An 'Anti-tank bicycle' - it sounds like something invented by Lance-Corporal Jones from Dad's Army.

Thumbs up

Great pics from the show & I always wonder just how Rob finds these old gems of photos?

Meanwhile, in Belgium.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4922-1-during-world-war-one-the-belgians-harness-their-dogs-to-machine-guns-instead-of-milk-cart.jpg  

... I would think that .30 cal does more damage to the mount than the target when fired.
    Should be OK William, it looks like the cork's still in the barrel !
    This is a great show, not been for many years but last time I went my car was nearly run down by a Stug III & P.III festooned with Panzer Grenadiers !

Damn! I forgot about this show . Now won't have time to re-arrange my schedule to go along. Thanks for the pics though.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Meanwhile, in Belgium.....

Hey -- it worked for the Indians (the ones over here -- before horses, they used dogs as pack animals).

Similar Missions

1. IPMS Avon Show, 10th August 2014
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 23:48
  2. ILA Berlin Air Show 2014
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 02:20
  3. AAR the Gun Show
    By Big Blake in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12