Ares Games

Thread: Idea for a simple Energy-Fighting-Rule

Default Idea for a simple Energy-Fighting-Rule

After a long time of no playing I plan to make a bigger fight on the weekend.
    To spice it up I had an idea for a more energy based house rule:

If you fly two tight turns in a row, you loose half the amount of climb counters (rounded up) you plane would need for gaining one level. (If you would fly at two pegs and no climb markers with an Albatros DVa, you would end up with 1 peg and two climb markers. Two narrow turns later with one peg and no climb markers, etc.)

A normal dive card would give you one "energy-marker" which would bring you one climb counter during the next card if you decide to climb again. No matter what this card is. The same would count for two starights in a row and a Split-S.
    An overdive would give you two of them. If you decide to fly level after you got one of those energy counters they are all discarded.

Example: I fly with a Spad XIII on a level of 6. I plan two hard left turns. And come down to level 5 (+1 climb counter). Then I start an overdive with the know combination of Stall-Descent-Straight and end up a Level 3 an no climb markers. But with two "energy-markers". If I decide to climb I could announce this and fly a maneuver of my choice while converting my energy markers into climb markers. Which would bring me up right to level 4 again.

Thoughts?

Neither of the aircraft quoted have what I would call a tight turn Tilman so could you define what you mean by that - do you mean the 90 degree turn card or the ordinary, generally, 60 degree turn card ? I would also question the losing of altitude in turns as part of the pilots training is to turn without losing altitude and that is within their control, though I would allow it if that is what the pilot intended & also allow them to climb.
    Energy markers would make sense used with the dives and regaining height.

I ment tightest possible turn. From my experience with PC-flightsims, those planes burn energy very fast in tight turns. Some more some less. But continous hard turning would make you drop altitude or you would stall.

I thought this way you could force to fly "clean" and preserve the energy you have.

Sadly this game doesn't compare well to a flight sim - the idea of losing the kind of altitude you're talking of over just two cards, or even two full turns, in the game doesn't add up for me.

You might be right. The turn thing might not fit the simplistic altitude rules and the limited number of tight turn cards, like only two for the Dr1 could address this issue. I guess I'll try the energy-markers idea alone first tomorrow to enforce more boom & zoom.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

Resurrecting an old thread, sorry!

Here's an idea I had to represent the loss of energy when using altitude rules - any 'steep' move costs an altitude counter. Maybe you could run 2 steep moves in a row at the cost of 3 counters, to really show the drop in energy.

But then the slow climbing planes could do more steep maneuvers in a row without loosing altitude.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

Hmm, fair point. Maybe lose an altitude peg to run two steep moves in a row?

That would be a simulation of some kind of stall on purpose. Nice idea.

You read of many an engagement becoming a 'turning' fight. Aircraft circling and waiting for the other pilot to break their turn and caught at a disadvantage when they do. However it was also a game of chicken as the circling aircraft continually lost altitude and someone invariably broke the circle rather than slam into the ground.

I one for gaining and or loosing a climb counter with each maneuver card whilst retaining the dive/climb for more aggressive full peg loss/gain.
    See you on the Dark Side......

But then again the slow climbing planes have an advantage because they got more counters.

Similar Missions

1. Energy Rules for WGS - First Draft
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 07:59
  2. simple idea for boom&zoom
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 16:04
  3. Altitude/Energy Variant: demo video
    By sightreader in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 11