Ares Games

Thread: Dissasembling an Ares' Albatros D.Va

Default Dissasembling an Ares' Albatros D.Va

Cheers!
    I want to dissasemble an Albatros DVa from Ares. And I mean taking apart piece by piece, wings, fuselage, tail, everything.
    I would like if someone have done it (I'm sure some one have) and let me know what can be take apart withouth breaking it, I would really apreciate it
    I would like to know especially two things:
    1) can the fuselage be taken apart in two pieces? (I know the Albatros D.III's fuselage can be taken apart by its 'belly', and the landing gear and under wings can be removed that way. Is it the same with the Albatros D.V?)
    2) Can I take the tail apart? (again, I've done it with an Albatros D.III, but I can't find the 'lines' so easily on the D.V)

thanks in advance

The D.Va has an all metal fuselage. The lower wing and landing gear are plastic and glued to the fuselage. Same for the tail section, which if I remember correctly (don't have one here at work), attaches to the rear fuselage just in front of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. You can see the "cut line" in this photo:

Thanks Keith

The engine and guns and struts can also be removed. Must be done carefully

I'm having a hard time taking apart the lower wing from the fuselage. Pulling seems dangerous since it wont come out with just a gentle pull. Any advice or sugestion?

Tried immersing in hot (not boiling) water, then in the freezer, then back to hot water again? (repeat as necessary).
    See you on the Dark Side......

If you can get the top wing and engine bits off, you might be able to drill out only the pins of the lower wing that are glued into the fuselage. At least I recall these pins, but don't have an model in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Tried immersing in hot (not boiling) water, then in the freezer, then back to hot water again? (repeat as necessary).
    interesting... what would I do with this? soften the glue? would the wings come apart by itself after a few times of doing it or would I be able to take it applying gengle presure?
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 07-16-2014 at 14:13.

It is physics. The heat causes the metal and plastic parts to expand-which they do at different rates, stressing the glue joint. To suddenly cool them together does the opposite, they shrink and the joints are stressed again. Eventually the different material will pop apart and separate . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    It is physics. The heat causes the metal and plastic parts to expand-which they do at different rates, stressing the glue joint. To suddenly cool them together does the opposite, they shrink and the joints are stressed again. Eventually the different material will pop apart and separate . . .
    beautiful!

I should played more atention to physics class in high-school!

would it work for pastic-on-plastic too? (i.e.: to separate top wings from lower wings)

btw: I was able to take the tail out by doing this heating-freezing stuff and is seems the lower-wing is giving up!

thanks y'all guys! you rock!
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 07-16-2014 at 13:42.

Similar Missions

1. WGF Modifying Ares Albatros D.V?
    By Wombat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 07:41
  2. And last but not least... Ares' Ki.84
    By jbmacek in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 14:29
  3. ARES B25's
    By Doug in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15