Ares Games

Thread: MOVIES

Default MOVIES

Yesterday I watched Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and there were 3 WWI movies. FLIGHT COMMANDER (1930), ACE OF ACES (1936) about and American ace (Fiction/Rocky Thorne) and LAFFETTE ESCADRILE. Wondering if anyone has seen these before? The first one looked like they used Neuports and Platz planes for the movie. In the second movie I couldn't tell at first but I think they were Curtiss Hawks. Didn't watch the last one so not sure what was in it as I haven't seen that movie in many years.

Yes! I bought Mrs Clipper a DVR feature to her satellite TV package and she has been gracious and records all the War movies and aviation interests! Best Mother's Day gift so far . . .

Well as an expert model builder your thoughts are welcome to as what the planes are.

Smile

Have not seen any of those ones.

Doing a google search for Flight Commander brought back results saying that the movie is also titled "Dawn Patrol". Have not seen the others but do have Lafayette Esc. on my ebay watch list.

There was a part in the movie where the title was DAWN PATROL. The German Ace was named Von Richter. In the Dawn Patrol segment the brother of one of the pilots gets shot down by Von Richter.

Thumbs up

Dawn Patrol was a remake with Errol Flynn & David Niven & used a lot of the footage from Flight Commander.
    It is one of the reasons for my fascination of WW1 Aero History.
    Saw it when I was a teenager & the rest as they say is "History"!

Haven't made time to watch them yet, they await me in the digital domain . . . .

I've spent a few conventions next to these guys. They haven't been to Origins for a couple of years due to scheduling conflicts, but Steve is a huge history buff. They have or can find almost anything.

Belle & Blade

www.warshows.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I've spent a few conventions next to these guys. They haven't been to Origins for a couple of years due to scheduling conflicts, but Steve is a huge history buff. They have or can find almost anything.

Belle & Blade

www.warshows.com
    Yeh, I miss them at Origins. Maybe next year.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I have been buying from Belle & Blade for years and will see him on Thursday. I am on my 3rd Tiger tank tee shirt of his.

I watch the same group of I thought it wad pretty cool.

Made one purchase at the Belle & Blade. There was a movie called Dien Bien Phu so I asked if it was like the movie Jump Into Hell, which I have been looking for for a long time. Steve just turned aroun d and pulled ou a copy of that movie. So added another B&B movie to my collection. Have to think about what to get at Fall In in Nov.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Yesterday I watched Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and there were 3 WWI movies. FLIGHT COMMANDER (1930), ACE OF ACES (1936) about and American ace (Fiction/Rocky Thorne) and LAFFETTE ESCADRILE. Wondering if anyone has seen these before? The first one looked like they used Neuports and Platz planes for the movie. In the second movie I couldn't tell at first but I think they were Curtiss Hawks. Didn't watch the last one so not sure what was in it as I haven't seen that movie in many years.
    I saw them too. That prompted me to look them up on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daw...ol_(1930_film)

"The Dawn Patrol (aka Flight Commander) is a 1930 World War I film starring Richard Barthelmess and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. It was directed by Howard Hawks, a former World War I pilot, who even flew in the film as a German pilot..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daw...ol_(1938_film)

"Howard Hawks assembled a variety of aircraft in a film squadron to shoot the flying scenes for the original version of The Dawn Patrol. Hawks used rebuilt Nieuport 28s as the primary aircraft type for the British squadron...For scenes at the German airdrome in which aircraft were moved or had engines turning, Goulding used "Wichita Fokkers" painted black with German markings. His "Pfalzes" had their wings painted in a large and striking red and white checkerboard pattern. Goulding also acquired two genuine Pfalz D.XII fighters for static closeup shots of parked fighters..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Aces_(1933_film)

"Ace of Aces featured five Waco 7s, five Travel Air Model B "Wichita Fokkers", a small number of Nieuport 28s, a Curtiss JN4 Jenny, Garland-Lincoln LF-1 (Nieuport 28 Replica), and a Fleet Model 1, along with two SE.5 mock-ups while a Waco also served as a camera plane for the aerial sequences..."

The 1938 version of "Dawn Patrol" was shown on TCM a couple days before these three. I thought the plot seemed familiar.

Similar Missions

1. WWI Movies
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 19:51
  2. Movies
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 15:49
  3. MOVIES
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9