Ares Games

Thread: Movement deck for the Spitfire.

Default Movement deck for the Spitfire.

I am currently painting up one of my Spitfires as a VC model for Late Malta action.
    Would anyone care to recommend the best maneuver deck for this aircraft.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I would recommend the Q deck for speed; if you could have someone make an appropriate 60 degree turn, I'd add that.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Cheers Karl.
    Rescued again by your innate knowledge.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I would recommend the Q deck for speed; if you could have someone make an appropriate 60 degree turn, I'd add that.
    Karl
    Sooo,
    Does that go for all the Spitfire Vb cards in my album?

Mike

Every time I see posts about WGS I get tempted to expand into WW2. One of these days I might get weak.

My main hesitation for moving into WGS is the lack of variety of planes that I want. I like the Spitfire, the P-51, and the ME 109 but I miss the Thunderbolt, the Zero, and the F5F Wildcat. All in good time I suppose.

Having reviewed my decks, I do not have a Q deck. Could yo please tell me from whence this deck emanated?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Sooo,
    Does that go for all the Spitfire Vb cards in my album?

Mike
    I'm afraid so, (since speeds were up to 370-380mph) for all Marks except the VC(trop) which should be an A deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Having reviewed my decks, I do not have a Q deck. Could yo please tell me from whence this deck emanated?
    Rob.
    The Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate from the latest fast fighter release.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I think my Malta VC would be a Trop Karl.
    Would that be so?
    Rob.

As a guess, I'd say it's likely. It would depend on whether they came from Egypt or flown in from a carrier straight from England.
    OTOH, since it's likely, and since you have A decks already.....
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    As a guess, I'd say it's likely. It would depend on whether they came from Egypt or flown in from a carrier straight from England.
    OTOH, since it's likely, and since you have A decks already.....
    Karl
    I like your thinking Karl, it mirrors my own. I think I know where I'm going with this one.
    Rob.

Rob,
    I have been looking up markings for 249 Sqn, to match pilots to planes. I ran across this:

Malta Spitfire

It appears that shortly after arriving in Malta, and with most of the fighting over water, the Spitfires were repainted with a grey/Dark Earth, rather than Middle Stone/Dark Earth.

What colours are you painting your planes?

What pilots and markings?

Mike

My first one is going to be Desert camo, as I have one example of that scheme for Malta, and it can double for the Desert. I have not decided about the others yet as I have until 2016 to get them ready for action. I am playing the war month by month, so it is early July 1940 at the moment.
    Later this evening I will post my AAR for the end of June.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My first one is going to be Desert camo, as I have one example of that scheme for Malta, and it can double for the Desert. I have not decided about the others yet as I have until 2016 to get them ready for action. I am playing the war month by month, so it is early July 1940 at the moment.
    Later this evening I will post my AAR for the end of June.
    Rob.
    Reading this morning, I found a quote from the CO, S/L John Joseph Lynch, stating that none of his planes flew with the RAF Desert colour scheme. The "Malta Blue" issue is big in the modeling world, and there is no definitive answer on what colour was used, or which squadrons repainted their aircraft in what colour schemes. It seems to be that if any Spitfires were in the RAF Desert scheme on arrival in Malta, they didn't stay that way for long. Anything from poorly over-painted Middle Stone with some type of blue/grey, or even completely over-painted in a thin wash of Extra Dark Sea Grey (which likely faded to a bluish colour) as S/L Lynch states, is possible.

All that to say, whatever colour your planes end up, I can emulate on a card. Just post a picture, and I will match it.

Mike

Cheers Mike.
    I may well do the other two in the bluish grey then.
    Rob.

New Card for Malta:

Hmmm....

I can't seem to post any images to the site. Not on threads or in my albums. Anyone else having this issue?

Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I find the best way to portray the Mk.V is a Mk.IX without the gorgeous engine. The Mk.IX is just a Mk.V with a better engine. Without that engine the Mk.V no faster than the Mk.II in game terms so should only use the F deck. More weight without the power meant the Mk.V lost some of the agility of the Mk.II before the boosted its power. It is a lot harder to swing that extra weight around. And not being much faster at that. The 109F was a far better fighter (though the advent of the 190 was really what made the British make the Mk.IX). just my two cents.

Cheers Lucas. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the MK V for Malta.
    Rob.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusilers.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	137694 Nope.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusilers.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	137694 Nope.
    Neither am I Neil, but there is no need to get your hackles up about it.
    Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Reading this morning, I found a quote from the CO, S/L John Joseph Lynch, stating that none of his planes flew with the RAF Desert colour scheme. The "Malta Blue" issue is big in the modeling world, and there is no definitive answer on what colour was used, or which squadrons repainted their aircraft in what colour schemes. It seems to be that if any Spitfires were in the RAF Desert scheme on arrival in Malta, they didn't stay that way for long. Anything from poorly over-painted Middle Stone with some type of blue/grey, or even completely over-painted in a thin wash of Extra Dark Sea Grey (which likely faded to a bluish colour) as S/L Lynch states, is possible.

All that to say, whatever colour your planes end up, I can emulate on a card. Just post a picture, and I will match it.

Mike
    Of course you just know what happened.
    Those spits that wern`t destroyed fairly quickly were repainted in whatever greyish/blueish paint the erks at Malta could scrounge up without worrying too much about following regulations or documenting what was used.
    Then a couple of generations later some of the more pedantic hobbyists start argueing about the precise shade used!

Similar Missions

1. XA & I movement deck & 7,62mm damage token questions
    By Thomatchef in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 08:49
  2. Spitfire "A" deck manoeuvre question
    By DuncanBiscuits in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 08:34
  3. P51D Mustang "P" movement deck
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 17