Ares Games

Thread: Battle of the big boys

Default Battle of the big boys

Hello everyone. I've been toying with a scenario idea of 4 Gotha's going against 4 Caproni's has something like this been done before?? Thanks, Bob Starr

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Cando View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been toying with a scenario idea of 4 Gotha's going against 4 Caproni's has something like this been done before?? Thanks, Bob Starr
    ive only ever done 1 caproni vs i gotha. gotha won but only just.

Holy moly, what are the damage numbers on those big boys?

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. I've never even flown my bombers, just got into WoG a few months ago. Your scenario sounds like it could be fun, if maneuvering can be accomplished.

Found these shots of a big battle with two Ca4's against Hunter's horde, gotta give yourself lots of room for movement!

Followed with a Gotha battle . . .

Now if you really want a fun fight try Felixstowes vs a full size Zeppelin! need a really big table and mat . . .

Pack a lunch, you will be at it a while . . .

Now in the days when I could use the school hall we could have had a real field day.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wow guys I am truly impressed!!! Where on earth did those monster bombers come from?? Also am very impressed with the aerial map game board they are playing on. Super job guys. Guess I should explain a bit more regarding the scenario. Set for only 3 hours of play, 2 game mats, each side starts 1 ruler length in from the edge. mission for both sides is to bomb a target off the opposite side of the mats then return to the starting side safely. The target doesn't really exist although if you had more time you could place a target cart on another mat and go through regular bombing procedures. Once off the opposite side, and doing the bombing, each plane would draw 2 C damage cards to represent the Ack Ack taken while bombing this improtant target. If a plane gets 2 engine damaged hits it must dump half its bomb load, 3 engine damage hits and it must dump everything. Victory conditions for both sides, each bomber gets 20 points if it can drop a full bomb load, 10 for a half load, and 15 points per enemy bomber destroyed. The side with the high point total wins, equal points ends in a draw.. Since there isn't a lot of maneuver room I thought I'd use altitude for this one. Thanks everyone for the great responses. If I get this one going sometime I'll try and remember to take pics and post them so everyone can see how it turned out.

Wow guys I am truly impressed!!! Where on earth did those monster bombers come from??
    Check out Clipper's profile, and hit "latest started threads": http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/mem...87-clipper1801
    You'll find the threads he posted on those monster planes.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Check out Clipper's profile, and hit "latest started threads": http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/mem...87-clipper1801
    You'll find the threads he posted on those monster planes.
    Karl
    Wow! I had never done that, 455 threads Yikes! Sounds like a number not to advertise to my therapist or SWMBO

O.K. how about Zep vs Zep?

Yikes! Take me way back! My first thread was the dual build R-23 and L-11 Zeppelins from wood and paper and I had hoped to do just that, but it turns out the British did not send their few Dirigibles into harms way, rather used them for coastal patrols where they would not be at risk. At that they resorted to the smaller Sea Scout Class of blimps of which I have made a few. I am not even sure if I have any photos of the R-34 anymore that was two computers and 5 hard drives ago! I did have the drop able Sopwith Camel on it as I recall . . .

Last edited by clipper1801; 07-10-2014 at 10:57.

david i LOVE the use of RC a/c propellers for rulers!!!! im definitely stealing that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    david i LOVE the use of RC a/c propellers for rulers!!!! im definitely stealing that idea!
    Actually those are home made from 5-8 ply 1/4" aircraft plywood, cut on a bandsaw to the proper length and then shaped on the front only so the back side is straight for measuring purposes. The laminated look is a byproduct of a dark brown stain applied to the wood before a clear coat is added. I sell them and use them as give aways at events . . .

thats very cool! im still going to check out a local hobby shop as i recall them having RC a/c propellers. i almost bought 1 then but couldnt think of a real reason for it. now ive got one!

Dave are you able to buy those big guys somewhere or do you make them yourself??

Depends on what you want Bob.
    Clipper batch produces his own.
    You can get some from Shapeways.
    Red Eagle produce some in kit form, as does Reviresco to a certain extent.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Dave are you able to buy those big guys somewhere or do you make them yourself??
    See my thread "Clippers List" on the for sale/trade page . . .

David, really like those Gotha G1s, great looking aircraft and you've done them up very nicely. Thanks for a look.

Similar Missions

1. Balloon Busting For The Boys.
    By FarEast in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 01:55
  2. Step up boys drinks are on me.
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 01:28
  3. Bomber Boys
    By Canuck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5