Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1903-1922 Request Thread

Their "carrier battle groups" were particularly active in the Black Sea where they mounted a series of very successful campaigns against Turkish coastal traffic. I've played a few navl campaigns based on their exploits in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Their "carrier battle groups" were particularly active in the Black Sea where they mounted a series of very successful campaigns against Turkish coastal traffic. I've played a few navl campaigns based on their exploits in the past.
    That was my mistake, David-it was the Black Sea, not the Baltic, where the Russian 'hydro-cruisers' were employed--if the Russian Baltic Fleet had operated similarly against the Germans, the achievements involved-often using carriers as the primary strike units, having battleships screen carriers,etc.-might not have been so overlooked and now almost forgotten.

Okay, I'm going to do some more flying boats next.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Okay, I'm going to do some more flying boats next.
    Gotha WD-13, please. I have seen some interesting Turkish markings for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Gotha WD-13, please. I have seen some interesting Turkish markings for that one.
    Seconded

Limited construction numbers... used on an obscure front... sure, I'll do it!

Oh, I think my inner obscure aircraft geek is in trouble again.

But, John, the Turks had more WD-13s than any other Gotha floatplane. Plus, we can fly it against the Macchi M.5, although only the observer has a weapon. It will be fun.

Construction on the WD.13 has commenced.

Limited construction numbers... used on an obscure front... sure, I'll do it!
    Certainty of death, small chance of success; what are we waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Certainty of death, small chance of success; what are we waiting for?
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'd very much like to see the Airco D.H.9A done. With a powerful Rolls-Royce or Liberty engine, not a downgrade from the DH.4's powerplant, the 'Ninak' was the airplane that the D.H.9 should have been all along. It was produced just in time to see late service in WWI, used by the RAF (in Trenchard's Independent Air Force and for coastal patrols) as well by the USMC. The 9A would also be an important and numerous interwar type, used by the RAF for colonial duties and being built and employed in large (and unlicensed) numbers by the USSR. I claim no ownership of these images; they're just included to give an idea of what making the model might entail

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de-havilland-airco-dh9a-1918-england.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	172407

Name:	104_4.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	172409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH-9A.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	172408

Name:	tmcdh9ag.jpg 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	172410

Name:	rhma-12- ninak- 800 x 595.jpg 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	172411

Nice choice, but I'd rather have the regular underpowered DH9 instead.
    My own personal interest doesn't extend beyond 11-11-18, so the DH9 would be of much more use to me than the DH9A.

Kampfflieger has had the DH.9 available for a while now, Tim: https://www.shapeways.com/product/SE...144-airco-dh-9 . I have one, and it's a nice model.

Really? Missed that one - many thanks for pointing it out!
    I have a metal Reviresco one to build, but a Shapeways one is probably a better way to go.

I picked up Jack Herris's book, Nachtflugzeug! German N-Types of WWI. I didn't know anything about the "N" category (tactical night bombers), but I was surprised to learn that ~200 A.E.G. N.I's were built. It's a weird looking aircraft -- you take the AEG C.IV, which already had a short fuselage compared to the wings, and then add 7.3 feet more wingspan.

I don't know if there is any interest in a night bomber, though.

Yes there is. And for other N versions such as the AEG G.IV.
    Also night fighter versions of the N11 and N17 - both with twin lewis on the upper wing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    I'd very much like to see the Airco D.H.9A done.
    Working on it.

http://shpws.me/JsVs

It's a weird looking aircraft...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I'm a big fan of the N.I.

Thanks, Zoe and John, I'll put the N.I next on the list, then. As a side-bonus, I'll get a AEG C.IV model just by switching out the wings. (And I'll have to edit the Wikipedia page for the N.I. It's very sketchy and -- in the case of number produced -- wrong.)

Looks good, John.

Naughtily out of period and indeed reality - Seeing all the seaplanes - I'd love a 1/144 Porco Rosso Savoia S21

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal palin View Post
    Naughtily out of period and indeed reality - Seeing all the seaplanes - I'd love a 1/144 Porco Rosso Savoia S21
    The nice thing about doing historical planes is that it's hard for anyone to claim that you've violated their copyright. Looks fun, though!

Very true, I'm sure Studio Ghibli would object

Mind you there is a nice Macchi M33 that is very close, need to take a very deep breath before cutting off and remodelling the wings and tail though

Name:	macchi m33.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	172585

Name:	IMAG0067Porco.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	173084 Mwahhaha look behind you Porco!

A Chinese "porco rosso magnet toy"

Hours of fun there I'm sure Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just bumping this one; I would really like to run this scenario in June.
    Thanks
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Hoping someone can come up with a Sopwith cuckoo:
    Attachment 166837

I'm wanting to run a game at Origins next year. If a Lewis MG could be put on the top wing (yes, I know it was unarmed), that would save me the trouble.
    Thanks Karl

Name:	Sopwith_Cuckoo-p.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	174498
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    But, John, the Turks had more WD-13s than any other Gotha floatplane. Plus, we can fly it against the Macchi M.5, although only the observer has a weapon. It will be fun.
    Almost done. Encountering some technical difficulties, but it should be up before Shapeways closes their free shipping deal.

The Brandenburg G.I (Austria-Hungary's home-grown twin-engine bomber) has been on this list for a long time. I've put it into Beta. I'll put it on my list in the Shapeways Releases thread when I've gotten a test print and confirmed Shapeways is fine with it.

Here's a computer rendering of the actual model:

Name:	HBG1_render_600x400.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	180683

Looks very nice, Daryl.
    The Brandenburg G.I (Austria-Hungary's home-grown twin-engine bomber) has been on this list for a long time. I've put it into Beta. I'll put it on my list in the Shapeways Releases thread when I've gotten a test print and confirmed Shapeways is fine with it.

Here's a computer rendering of the actual model:

Name:	HBG1_render_600x400.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	180683

Added to my order (free shipping) in progress. Along with an AEG N.I

Looks very well done, Daryl.

Here's a request for the Lebed XII reconnaissance biplane of the Imperial Russian Air Service. A sturdy if unspectacular looking airframe, its usefulness was severely limited by poor engine availability and performance, as was often the case for Imperial Russia's aircraft. Nevertheless, at least 200 were produced, and like most WWI Russian airplanes, the Lebed was used in the subsequent Russian civil war.

Name:	17-Lebed_12-s.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	181186

Name:	leb12-1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	181187

Name:	leb12-11.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	181188

Name:	300px-Lebeď_XII_(Rossia).jpg 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	181189

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    With the new Jack Herris book on German G types any chance of some these obscure ones

AEG GIII
    AEG GV
    Albatross GIII
    LVG GIII
    Rumpler GII and GIII

Or would shapeways prices prohibit these now ?
    While the larger planes are not as inexpensive as they used to be, they're still reasonable. I just finished an A.E.G. G.III design. I'll make a posting in the Releases thread when I get a test print back.

Name:	AEG_G3_render1_400.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	181764

PS: The Lebed is a good choice; that's been on my list for a while now.

Here's an odd question: I usually design my planes with all the control surfaces in a neutral position -- rudder straight, ailerons balanced, elevator level. That's not necessary, though; it's just as easy to give the rudder a little rotation, the ailerons a little (opposite) rotation, etc. It might look more realistic and dynamic with the surfaces slightly off-center. On the other hand, it might look a little strange with the surfaces set for a right turn when the plane's turning left in the game.

Would anyone be interested in a plane with control surfaces in something other than a neutral position?

While the larger planes are not as inexpensive as they used to be, they're still reasonable. I just finished an A.E.G. G.III design. I'll make a posting in the Releases thread when I get a test print back.

Name:	AEG_G3_render1_400.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	181764

PS: The Lebed is a good choice; that's been on my list for a while now.
    Ooooh I like the look of that, I wait to see this go up on Shapeways eagerly

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Ooooh I like the look of that, I wait to see this go up on Shapeways eagerly
    What that man said
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    Here's a request for the Lebed XII reconnaissance biplane of the Imperial Russian Air Service. A sturdy if unspectacular looking airframe, its usefulness was severely limited by poor engine availability and performance, as was often the case for Imperial Russia's aircraft. Nevertheless, at least 200 were produced, and like most WWI Russian airplanes, the Lebed was used in the subsequent Russian civil war.
    Now in beta. I'll post to the Releases thread when I get a print back:

Name:	Lebed12_400x300.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	182220

This is a request for another seaplane, the Fairey Campania. The Campania was actually the world's first purposely built carrier aircraft, since the converted liner of that name had a 200 foot flight deck. Fairey's aircraft was a floatplane that could be launched from this deck by means of a removable trolley. Over 150 Campanias were built and used for spotting and armed reconnaissance from mid 1917 to the end of WWI, also taking part in Britain's intervention in the Russian Civil War.

Name:	faireyf17.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	182510

Name:	campania-c2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	182507

Name:	Fairey_Campania-3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	182508

Name:	fairey-campania.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	182509

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Just bumping this one; I would really like to run this scenario in June.
    Thanks
    Karl

Name:	Sopwith_Cuckoo-p.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	174498
    You want it with the torpedo?

No, do it without. That way I can add a torp with a magnet
    Karl

I've gotten pretty far on the Grigorovich M.16 and the W.29. I'm beginning work on the Sopwith. The first two might be done in time for the next Shapeways sale (on Xmas day?), not sure about the Sopwith.

Oh, and the Airco DH.9 is almost done, but has stalled.

Oh, and the Airco DH.9 is almost done, but has stalled.
    Gotta keep your airspeed up or that will happen. Hopefully it won't go into a flat spin.

It is certainly one of the most hectic times of the year when it comes to scheduling things. Added complications include a visiting brother-in-law staying at my house for nine days, and a new Playstation 4 with Star Wars Battlefront.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. British Aircraft in Russian Service, 1916-1922
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 10:40
  2. WSF The Request thread
    By Zoe Brain in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 358
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 14:14
  3. Time for the 1903 again !!!
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club