Ares Games

Thread: Massive Solo AAR

Default Massive Solo AAR

Over the weekend I flew what has been my biggest solo mission yet. 9 v 9. I was inspired by the large play by email games and thought I'd give it a try.

On the German side, 2 Halberstadt CLIIs, 1 Roland CLII, 3 Alb. DVas, 3 DR.1s. On the Allies, 4 Camels, 4 Spad XIII, 1 Spad VII. German objective was to bomb the little target on the allied side.

I controlled 1 Camel and the Spad VII, AI controlled the rest. Positions after move 1. These were the only pictures I took - I didn't really intend to write an AAR, just wanted to give it a shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1-1.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	136774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2-1.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	136775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3-1.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	136776

As the game played on 1 of the Spads immediately took 13 damage, so headed home. Shooting was slow at first - with so many aircraft having high damage values I thought no one was going to go down. After the initial pass by the DR1s, the Camels turned north, and had a pass at the Recon planes. One of the Halberstadts drew an early explosion which helped greatly. The DVas proved to be the biggest threat early on, making quick passes. The DR1s had a hard time getting into the fight, they were a bit slow and if they got side tracked on a passing Spad their attention moved that way.

The Spads are difficult to control in battle, but tend to stay alive since no one can really pursue them either.

Soon another explosion for the other Halberstadt, One Allied Camel down, and One DVa drew too many cards. The Spad VII got the Roland, shooting him up with B cards. Another Camel down by cards, then a Spad by explosion. Both sides had lost 4 planes. All the planes started circling, things were getting tough on the allies: one of the Spads had engine trouble, and the camel and another spad had wounded pilots - death could come at any second. The Germans had 1 wounded pilot in a DVa and a DR1 with low damage but engine trouble.

Finally a Camel got the wounded DR1, and with a majority of planes gone, the Germans headed home. One DVa didn't make it out, too damaged and in the allies line of flight.

In the end it took 2 nights of playing, but was worth it! The cards were on the allies side, two explosions on the two seaters really helped. But it came down to the last aircraft shot down to determine the real winner. My controlled Camel got one, and the Spad VII got one. One of the AI camels had 2, but was lost in the explosion to a DR1.

You are "record keeper" of the week! It takes a good system to keep everything going. Also it can frightening what the artificail intellengence gets up to..Thanks for reporting!

A superb effort Ryan. I think that the biggest solo I have played was 9 aircraft, which is half your total, and that was mayhem to try and keep track of.
    Well done that man.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It can be a record keeping nightmare at some points. I don't play altitude so that makes it a bit easier, but it was hard to keep track of special damages and who had executed an Immelmann and the request straights.

Still it was a lot of fun!

Thumbs up

That was a great effort Ryan that deserves some Rep.

Well done Ryan - I did the big show once; once is usually enough ! A mammoth effort but quite satisfying when you get it done.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Hi Ryan,

Could you please tell me what set of solo rules you used to play this battle?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Richard I just saw your post here. I used the solo rules found in the Files section. Click Files, then under the World War I files (WGF) click scenarios. I use a mix of the "Advanced Rules" and "2nd Generation Rules". They work well for me!

Similar Missions

1. eBay Massive WoW collection on Ebay
    By David Manley in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 06:31
  2. Massive collection of WW1 photos
    By Biggles downunder in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 05:15
  3. MASSIVE Typo Spotted!
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6