Ares Games

Thread: Bovington show this weekend.

Default Bovington show this weekend.

Doesn't look like a huge show and incredibly short notice.

http://battlegroupsouth.org/

As no one has mentioned it I presume there's no WOW games.

I'll be camping there overnight and should have a few mini's with me if I remember.

Anyone else attending?

Paul

They did not invite us Paul.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm there on Saturday Paul - probably the best location for a show ever; play with ww2 or modern tanks then reach out and touch one..

Name:  Budapest-02.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  61.1 KB

For the past two years I have tried to get us in at Bovington, all to no avail, for whatever reason I have not been able to get a proper contact, so this year, with Doncaster, I did not bother
    Last edited by Boney10; 07-04-2014 at 14:32.

Really surprised by that - last year there were empty tables & room in the WW1 hall !
    I shall wear my Aerodrome T shirt & if I bump into any organisers I will have a word - it's confirmed as on again next year already.

I'll keep an eye out for you Dave - not staying for the BBQ?

I'll just be wandering around with a skinny 10 year old in tow - if there are empty tables I'll bring my WOW game in

Been searching for a contact number but to no avail. I keep coming up with a guy called Richard who is organising some part of the show including an expensive camping pitch charge (£20/person/tent).

Perhaps a direct contact at the show with an organiser might be more fruitful for next years show?

If a guy called Les Blyth is still a member (ex fusilier) ask if he's there and mention my name, might get us a contact who will help.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I had same issue Neil, did make one contact, a single phone call then nothing after that.
    Dave, if you can get me a contact for next year I'll try again

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I had same issue Neil, did make one contact, a single phone call then nothing after that.
    It would be great if we could get a spot for next year, even with camping at 20 squid. It's still cheaper than B&B.
    Rob.

Try and ask if Les Blyth is still a member. When he left the Fusiliers he settled in that area and I know he took part in the shows for a few years. Great lad just mention 'Pieces of Eight' and my name.

Just pinged Les on facebook, hopefully I'll get an answer back and a contact we can use.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    I'll keep an eye out for you Dave - not staying for the BBQ? I'll just be wandering around with a skinny 10 year old in tow - if there are empty tables I'll bring my WOW game in
    Great - this is me in the shirt:
    Name:  IMG_2789.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  129.9 KB
    has a Fokker Dr1 on the back and I'll have a big 56 year old in tow

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I know some of the gamers there so if nothing else I'll get a contact name from one of them.

Sadly I didn't bump into Paul but we had a good time perusing the museum and the games/traders as well as meeting old acquaintances.
    I spoke with some of the BGS members - they seemed suitably impressed when I explained who we are and what we did - Apparently it's likely you had the right contact ie Richard but I gather his communication if iffy at the best of times so I think there will have to be an element of chasing him up - you will note that on the list of gamers there is the rider of "If you think you have booked in a game and are not listed below, please contact Richard"
    It is suggested you e-mail him first but there is a contact number for Richard directly on 07714 765122. He was there but I didn't manage to track him down. The 2015 show has been confirmed.

My precious !
    Name:  SAM_4143.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  218.5 KB
    Last edited by flash; 07-06-2014 at 00:45.

Any more pics like that Dave?
    Rob.

It's a beauty, isn't it?

Haven't been to Bovvie for years. If we get a table in 2015, put me down for it.

Next question - anyone going to Flying legends at Duxford next weekend? Got a 3-line whip on a family do, so can't make it myself, but they have crated a P26 Peashooter over from the States for the show. If anyone goes, can you get me a few pics please?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Any more pics like that Dave? Rob.
    Didn't take many as I have loads from previous visits but sometimes you just have to:

Name:  SAM_4144.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  223.2 KB Name:  SAM_4146.JPG
Size:  234.5 KB Name:  SAM_4147.JPG
Size:  243.7 KB Name:  SAM_4148.JPG
Size:  219.3 KB

And for those with the WW1 interest:

Name:  SAM_4140.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  242.5 KB Name:  SAM_4139.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  212.5 KB Name:  SAM_4138.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  233.9 KB Name:  SAM_4137.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  209.3 KBName:  SAM_4136.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  234.9 KB
    A Replica A7:
    Name:  SAM_4135.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  213.7 KB

Ajay inspects Sword Beach game - For those who have not seen it before, yep this is one table !
    Name:  SAM_4142.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  282.0 KB

Tanks very much for those photographs Dave.
    There is a lot of detail on those Tanks and Armoured vehicles that you just don't get from photographs in books. Very useful for repaints.
    Rob.

Got back a few hours ago - Sorry I missed you Dave. Needed a 2 way radio to keep in contact with my son

Great show, really nice people. £20 for camping was great - had portaloos and showers, just on the south side of the tank arena.
    Evening hog roast and bar with 4 kegs of real ale and a "pub" quiz (wargame related). Fry up for all the happy campers at 8 in the morning.

I spoke to Richard too quite late at the bar. They are expanding the show next year into more of the museum.
    His aim is to make it the "Glastonbury" of the wargame shows.
    Most shows are about chatting, this just continued to the bar tent well in the evening.
    There were about 30ish tents, probably around 100 people, but the field would have accommodated 3 times that.

Mickowenuk's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

I was there too. Bit disappointed with the traders / numbers / variety, but that said, wargames and tanks, what could be better. Not only that 3/4 hour from home makes it even better.

None of the rooms were in use this year and nothing in the WW1 hall, also the layout has changed considerably with the advent of the new restoration hall. I don't think saying 'this could be the last one' for several years helps with trader commitment either !
    I think it was the quietest I've seen it since it started; numbers of all things seemed down to me but that just meant there was more room to get around everything. It could certainly do with some boisterous aerodrome action to liven things up so I think the previous best participation awards should be mentioned !

Similar Missions

1. Appropriate For The Weekend
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 09:11
  2. Something for the weekend..
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 06:45
  3. New Show this weekend in Retford, Notts....
    By I Flew With Braddoc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 09:20
  4. South England Bovington 2012
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 08:21
  5. Air Show in San Antonio this weekend
    By BryanR in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 18:32