Ares Games

Thread: SPAD Lieutenant Henri Castillac?

Default SPAD Lieutenant Henri Castillac?

Does anyone knows if this is a historic scheme or is it fictional?
    thanksName:  Lieutenant Henri Castillac.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  31.4 KBName:  castillac.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  8.9 KB

and this one? Name:  extrait.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  63.1 KB

thanks in advance

Internet searches seem to indicate that Lieutenant Henri Castillac is the hero of a French graphic novel entitled 'Pilote À L'edelweiss' by Yann & Romain Hugault. So I think that he is fictional because there does not seem to be any mention of him on historical sites.

Most of my friends are imaginary, but they are real to me . . . : )

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Do you know any large rabbits?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Eat me or drink me, white rabbits of all sizes . . . I am partial to my squad of elves, who by the way do not show up in the historical tomes . . . nor do I as I think of, maybe I have just imagined all this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Does anyone knows if this is a historic scheme or is it fictional?
    thanksName:  Lieutenant Henri Castillac.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  31.4 KBName:  castillac.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  8.9 KB

and this one? Name:  extrait.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  63.1 KB

thanks in advance
    The Spad VII with french colored flag on upper and lower wings may be fictional.
    Couldn't find any picture of such scheme.
    It could be inspired by a mix of 2 sources :
    - some italian planes which had the italian flag (green-white-red) all over the underside surface of the lower wing (like on the Spad XIII "Barraca" and Caproni "Buttini" miniatures).
    - some Nungesser's planes had the french flag on the upper wing.
    Name:  21_7_b2.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  46.0 KB

The Spad VII at the back has the stork insignia of the Spa 103 squadron, with high position wings.
    http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...adrille103.htm

The first Spad VII has the stork insignia of the Spa 3 squadron, with a low position wing.
    http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...adrille003.htm
    The slogan "Trompe la mort et les maris" is a funny trick of word (for french speaking people):
    "Tromper" in french have many meanings.
    "Trompe la mort" appears on french pilot LENOIR Spad VII (with a black face - "noir" is the french word for black) :
    it could be translated by "Daredevil" or "he's cheated death".
    Name:  Lenoir1.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  16.9 KB
    "Tromper les maris" means "to betray / to be unfaithfull to husbands".
    So the pilot on this plane declaims he is not afraid of death and he has fun with many married women.
    French lovers ...

On the first picture, a Spad XII with all blue-white-red painted fuselage, inspired by french ace Georges MADON's Spad and also by NAVARRE's Nieuport.
    Name:  038_SPAD7_Madon.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  19.4 KBName:  21_7_b1.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  13.1 KB

In this comics book, the fictional pilot Castillac may be inspired by NAVARRE character (daredevil).

In the first book (3 of them for the whole story), you may notice a big chronological mistake, as in 1917 the french aces Stork squadron is still equiped with Nieuport 17 (it was all converted on Spad VII in April 1917) and are engaged with Breguet 14.

Here are the planes included in the 3 books :
    - Nieuport 17
    - Sopwith 1/2 Strutter
    - Breguet 14
    - Albatros DV
    - Drachens

- Spad VII
    - Spad XII
    - Bréguet 14
    - Caudron R11
    - Caudron GIV
    - RAF SE5 (a small part)
    - RAF RE8
    - Fokker DrI
    - Gotha GIV
    - Fokker Eindecker
    - LVG CVI

- Spad XII et XIII
    - Salmson 2A.2
    - Voisin 10
    - Morane AI
    - Fokker D.VII
    - Fokker D.VIII
    - Zeppelin Staaken
    - Junker J1
    Last edited by monse; 07-04-2014 at 03:42.

Eat me or drink me, white rabbits of all sizes . . . maybe I have just imagined all this . . .
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    AHEM!

Anyway that colour scheme looks like it owes a lot to that of a Nieuport 11 flown by Captaine Armand de Turenne presumably some time before this fictional SPAD was in service.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 07-04-2014 at 10:21.

thanks for your answers guys

Very sweet color schemes regardless.

Very interesting drawing and very accurate answer by Monse!
    I believe that the Italian flag under the wings was initially dedicated mainly to hurried Italian AA gunners, after a few embarassing episodes in the earlier stages of the war. Then it became a ruled standard.
    Buzio painted a large tri-color band on the fuselage of his Ni.11 (featured in Watch Your Back) since Italian sentinels on the Trentino front tended to give alarm enven when they saw Italian planes, not being able to tell Italian models from Austrian ones. He joined the newly formed 75a Squadriglia on the 24th April 1916, and scored his first victory on this plane on the 27th of June.

Name:  n11-011.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  35.5 KB

Armand de Turenne's Nieuport 11 can also have been of influence. His plane is in Watch your back! too.

Name:  n11-006.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  38.9 KB

Source for both drawings:
    http://www.gaetanmarie.com/en/ni11.htm

Guynemers was big on mirroring tactical numbers, too, so maybe his "mirrored 2's" was another influence.

Those are great looking schemes, regardless.

Andrea, don't you think that de Turenne, Navarre, and Buzio's schemes would look just FANTASTIC on a series of N.11 models by Ares? (hint-hint!)

Ni11 is in the next series. de Turenne is included, but for the Italians we will rather put our golden medal Giannino Ancillotto since ut features Le Prieur rockets. He got his medal flying across an exploding balloon je got so near to be sure to destroy it, and flew back home with stripes of yellow balloon canvas hanging to his wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Ni11 is in the next series. de Turenne is included, but for the Italians we will rather put our golden medal Giannino Ancillotto since ut features Le Prieur rockets. He got his medal flying across an exploding balloon je got so near to be sure to destroy it, and flew back home with stripes of yellow balloon canvas hanging to his wings.
    You mean the series after next? series 8 has yet to be released. Also, will this be the first airplane officially released with NO machine guns?

Sorry, you are correct. Since I did all I could for Series 8, I did not notice is not available yet. I meant that Nieuport 11 is Series 9.

in that famed mission Ancillotto's plane had no MG, but usually it had it. We will put it on the plane. You can always ignore it for that mission, or even cut it from the model...

Sorry, you are correct. Since I did all I could for Series 8, I did not notice is not available yet.
    Does that mean you know all of the pilots they're using in series 8?

D.VIII/E.V
    Erich Lowenhardt Theodor Osterkamp Karl Sharon

Cl.IIIa
    Rudolf Hager Johan Bauer ???

Macchi M.5
    Welker Willis B. Haviland Domenico Arcidiacono

Nieuport 28
    Harold E. Hartney Ralph A. O’Neil Edward Rickenbaker

Great.
    Very useful info for we repainters Andrea. I will avoid those pilots then until we can buy the proper official ones.
    thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Eat me or drink me, white rabbits of all sizes . . . I am partial to my squad of elves, who by the way do not show up in the historical tomes . . . nor do I as I think of, maybe I have just imagined all this . . .
    Eric,
    Perhaps a 6' invisible rabbit? I have one called Harvey. Messes up the waitresses in restaurants, I'll tell you.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Eric,
    Perhaps a 6' invisible rabbit? I have one called Harvey. Messes up the waitresses in restaurants, I'll tell you.
    he games with our group alot. especially when its windy. the door at my friends house will just pop open spontaneously. well all greet him with a warm "welcome in harvey, have a seat and grab some dice!"

This is very, very spooky... There are no dice at all in Wings of War/Glory! Where do these weird objects come from???

D.VIII/E.V
    Erich Lowenhardt Theodor Osterkamp Karl Sharon

Cl.IIIa
    Rudolf Hager Johan Bauer ???

Macchi M.5
    Welker Willis B. Haviland Domenico Arcidiacono

Nieuport 28
    Harold E. Hartney Ralph A. O’Neil Edward Rickenbaker
    thank you andrea!!!!!!

hhhhmmmmmmm Johan Bauer guess ill have to pic that one up since my grandparents name is bauer.

This is very, very spooky... There are no dice at all in Wings of War/Glory! Where do these weird objects come from???
    in my experience.......STRAIGHT FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL !!!!!!!

at least it seems that way from the way i roll

Magnificant!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Eric,
    So Harvey is a friend of yours too Mike! He certainly gets around, and he stands his corner in the bar in the early hours of the morning. Just one thing though, I have it from his own mouth that he is actually a Pooka.
    Kyte.

Rob,

I didn't understand a word you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Rob,

I didn't understand a word you said.
    I am not surprised you are far too young Nick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042546/

Rob.

Seems a sad movie.

Since you are the voice of the future, any decisions yet on the other 3 in series 9?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Harvey is not an avatar of Nyarlathotep, and I am not allowed to make him one. I stand corrected.

>any decisions yet on the other 3 in series 9?

Still open, working on that.

You mean the other planes? Or the schemes of the other planes from WoW Series 3?

In the words of Kurt Cobain(RIP) "I'm so happy, cuz today I found my friends... They're in my head..." What... no I'm not going to type that... I know its funny, but it isn't appropriate...what, no, you type it...

Similar Missions

1. Converting a SPAD 13C.1 into a SPAD 12Ca.1
    By Baldrick62 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 09:59
  2. Hmmm, seemed to have made it to full Lieutenant
    By pbhawkin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 04:04
  3. New First Lieutenant in the Aerodrome
    By Hunter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 30