Ares Games

Thread: WIP My new Wings of Glory 3D Map Board

Default WIP My new Wings of Glory 3D Map Board

Hi Guys
    I thought I would share some WIP photos of my new 3D scenery project. I was happy with playing on aerial photos but the easy sliding about was getting to me and so I bought some EVA rubber "jigsaw" flooring and started adding scenery details to it with a paint and brush but after half an hour it looked like rubbish, so I ditched that idea and grabbed the Woodland Scenics containers out of the cupboard and got stuck in. The results so far can be seen in the photos.

This pic shows the road layout (painted the whitish colour) You can get an overall idea of the size of the map 4' x 4'. I planned the map to be geomorphic but later decided that it wasn't really all that necessary and have attached the border pieces permanently. I can still pull the main sections apart for storage and can also add extra pieces at a later date.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	136359

This picture shows you a closer view of the detail. I painted the roads first and let the paint dry, then I neat painted white glue one field panel at a time and applied Woodland Scenic flock by tipping the powder over the glue and then tipping the board on its side so that the excess powder pours off into a catching a tray. I use a (purpose bought) cat kitty litter tray for this. Next step is to create the enclosing bocage hedges. This is done by tearing tiny little bits off of a WS foliage cluster and gluing it on next to the roadways. I have also created the woods in a similar way but instead I painted the glue on in a large area and then applied ripped up foliage clusters.

Views:	149 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	136360

Views:	148 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	136361

The aircraft model demonstrates that the low relief detail doesn't really interfere with the game mechanics, things will definitely be different and I am sure there will be some gameplay issues caused by the un evenness of the playing surface but I find different kinds of issues using a laminated photo map too.

Views:	151 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	136362

After I have completed the scenery boards I will make some suitably sized farm buildings, haystacks and a village out of plastic card and attach them to the board. This should then give the board a sense of scale.
    So far the board has taken me six hours to do the first quarter. I estimate that remaining quarters will only take about four hours each to complete.

Views:	151 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	136363

Views:	152 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	136364

Roger Wilco over and out

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing Trevor, only then after completing the scenery I was going to mount a sheet of poly carbonate over the entire top of the gaming board so that the terrain features do not interfere with the game play. To stop sagging in the middle I was going to put some buildings in strategic places as well as other features, or covering pins/mounts with foliage to hide them.

But this has to be one of the most stunning pieces of gaming terrain I have seen for this game - Chapeau!

I agree with James. It is a very impressive set up Trev.
    The interlocking parts solve several problems at the same time, and the low relief prevents another.
    It will be interesting to follow one of your games on it once completed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great idea and giving me inspiration for geomorphic 1/300 WW2 terrain boards. Well done.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I bought the EVA rubber squares for $15 Australian on Sunday at Rays Outdoors in Geelong, I'm sure they can be found much cheaper than that elsewhere, but all I could find around me were sets with half inch holes in them which are useless. I am going to go out and buy two more sets tomorrow and set them aside for future projects. I was thinking though, you could easily make higher terrain levels by carving up the rubber with a sharp knife to make hills, cut gullies, trenches, craters etc. If I was making 6mm WW1, I would probably double layer the squares, to add strength to cut out trenches and gullies. I also noticed that acrylic paint soaks in nicely, so modelling paste could also be used to add texture effects. Details like trees power poles, signs and fences could be pinned directly into the rubber and then removed after for storage. I hope this helps
    Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I agree with James. It is a very impressive set up Trev.
    The interlocking parts solve several problems at the same time, and the low relief prevents another.
    It will be interesting to follow one of your games on it once completed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob,

I played my first game in ages last Thursday with Pip. A few more games under my belt and I'm sure either one of us will put together an AAR. We are talking about starting a campaign so there may be a few AAR's in the near future, fingers crossed.
    Trev

Hmmm!...reaches for long stored away N gauge scenery stocks.......

Hayes

This is an awesome idea! Thank you for posting it!

Hayes

I have also been thinking of doing a clear Plexiglas top over already made boards (i.e.. Axis and allies war at sea) have you done anything like this yet? If so I would love to see your project.

Thanks Kayden,

I'm intending to play directly over this terrain so I won't be placing any plexiglass over the top.

I have about a 1' square area to finish on this project and have had real issues finding the time to actually finish the damn thing off. I have some time off coming up at the end of January so I'm hoping to get stuck into a few loose ends then and a few games with a bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    I have also been thinking of doing a clear Plexiglas top over already made boards (i.e.. Axis and allies war at sea) have you done anything like this yet? If so I would love to see your project.
    Here are a few links that may be of interest Kayden.

Plexiglass tops.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ght=plexiglass

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi again Kayden
    This link shows more of my work scroll down to the 34th post and onwards but there are some other interesting pics posted by other members too.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...D-gaming-table

That looks great. Have you played on it yet? Any trouble with foliage coming off while playing?

Hayes

Thank you Rob! very helpful to see others creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

Fantastic work! Would that I had the time, space, and skill for such an endeavor... well done, sir!

Hi Darell, I have played around with the terrain but haven't played a game on it yet, maybe in a few weeks when I'm on vacation, I'll call my opponent over for a game and AAR photo session. The foliage is glued down pretty tight but the occassional tree has been knocked off near the board joins when I have been fiddling around with it, each time its been because the glue hasn't been firm enough, but that is soon rectified. I have just used a PVA glue (neat) and the flock and foliage is all Woodland Scenics.

Hi Christopher. The board is made from EVA rubber camping flooring and broken down into four parts for easy storage and cartage, thats why I made it, so that its portable. I do have the luxury of space but I still have to be clever with storing things. Too many projects and so little storage! As for skill, its not that hard to do, just look at lots of aerial photos and real scenery and try to copy it. I have to admit I have used these materials for decades and there has been lots of trial and error, but you never learn if you don't have a go and try it for yourself. The method I used is actually really easy to do and I have done it in lots of small easy batches over lots of weekend afternoons listening to AFL football on the radio.
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 01-01-2015 at 03:47.

Similar Missions

1. National: Wings of Glory & Sails of Glory al MACRO giovedě
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 06:08
  2. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  3. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27
  4. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53