Ares Games

Thread: My Valom Nieuport kit build

Default My Valom Nieuport kit build

Bought the Valom 1/144 Nieuport 17 kit, which includes 2 planes, and was impressed with the quality. Very sharp molded styrene plastic. Very nice, but small, photo etched parts, and sharp decals with 4 different options. Generally the kits were easy to build until it came to some of the photo etched parts. The PE parts are very small and very delicate. I ended up frustrated with trying to fit the inside struts. There is so little gluing surface on the tiny parts, that every time I went to install the upper wing the PE parts fell off. Finally I ended up fashioning my own struts from styrene stock and this worked great. I did not have the same problem with the inter wing struts, as there is a bit more surface area for gluing. But great care must be taken when installing the upper wing. To finish off the craft I used the pin from one of the altitude pegs and glued to the bottom. I highly recommend the Nieuport kits, these are my first Valom kits but will be getting some of the SE5a kits, and some Sopwith pups, soon. Here are a few pics of one of the kits progressing to completion. If you have any questions I would be happy to address them. I did use a pair of reading glasses, power 3x, during construction and would recommend them highly(even if you have good eyesight, mine is 20/20).Hope you enjoy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0325.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	136034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0327.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	136035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0328.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	136036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0388.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	136037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0389.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	136038

Thanks for the review, and advice.

You are quite welcome, hope folks get some help from this. These are beautiful little kits.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Heads Up!
    I will look forward to seeing the finished aircraft.

I have a few of the Valom kits, Sopwith Pups, Se5a, Nieuport 17 and I agree with William that they are excellent kits, well worth the effort.

Once my WWII stint of painting is completed I will try to get my Pups finished after seeing this.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the review. It looks like a nice little model.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks all. Nice to see a little enthusiasm for the Valom kits. They are great kits. Only thing I would change are the Cabane(?) struts. The PE material is very hard, at least for me, to work with. I would much rather see them made of the same injection molded plastic as the general kit parts. Using Testors plastic cement helps the small parts 'weld' to the wing and allows them to stay in place when you fit the upper wing to the fuselage. I tried at least 6 times to use the PE parts and they came off each time. I do use a high quality superglue also, so I know it wasn't the glue.
    Anyway, really looking forward to picking up some of the SE5a kits. They look nice, and after my experience with the Nieuport kits I think I'll enjoy them. Lastly, sorry about no photo of the finished craft, thought I had included one but evidently not. Will get one up asap.

Thank you for your review of this kit and your helpful comments, William.

Looking good man... but we need that finished photo!

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Thanks all. Nice to see a little enthusiasm for the Valom kits. They are great kits. Only thing I would change are the Cabane(?) struts. The PE material is very hard, at least for me, to work with. I would much rather see them made of the same injection molded plastic as the general kit parts. Using Testors plastic cement helps the small parts 'weld' to the wing and allows them to stay in place when you fit the upper wing to the fuselage. I tried at least 6 times to use the PE parts and they came off each time. I do use a high quality superglue also, so I know it wasn't the glue.
    Anyway, really looking forward to picking up some of the SE5a kits. They look nice, and after my experience with the Nieuport kits I think I'll enjoy them. Lastly, sorry about no photo of the finished craft, thought I had included one but evidently not. Will get one up asap.
    I've talked to Valom (can't recall the gentleman's name right now) a couple of times about including plastic struts in their kits along with the PE parts. When he first started doing these kits he contacted me about carrying them in the AA store. He sent me some Nieuports to try out and my response was that they were great little kits, but plastic struts would make them better suited for gaming and more appealing to gamers since they are typically not true model builders. I don't think he has acted on that advice though

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post

I've talked to Valom (can't recall the gentleman's name right now)
    That'll be Vaclav. http://www.valom.net/index_en.html

Well if my kits were new production and not ones that had been sitting on the shelf for years I would say no, he hasn't acted on your advice. It's a shame too, because the struts may be the difference in folks using them for gaming. The inter-wing struts are too thin to resemble the sturdy wooden ones on the full size craft, the PE ones are paper thin, but still pretty sturdy. A set of each would be ideal and satisfy both the modelers and the gamers I believe. For me the whole issue is the gluing. The inter-wing struts not being too bad, but the cabane(?) struts were just next to impossible to use. Anyway, as per your orders Herr Oberst, may I present the finished craft. Soubrians 1977 N17(with a little creative license taken by adding the stars on the wheel covers, just couldn't help myself)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0398.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	136100

Name:	DSCF0399.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	136101

With apologies to the purists, please forgive the Albatros base.

Very smart looking aircraft William. You have done them proud.
    Rob.

Thank you all for the very kind comments. I try, but I have seen the level that most of you take these craft to, and am happy that you allow mine to be posted close by. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post

I've talked to Valom (can't recall the gentleman's name right now) a couple of times about including plastic struts in their kits along with the PE parts. When he first started doing these kits he contacted me about carrying them in the AA store. He sent me some Nieuports to try out and my response was that they were great little kits, but plastic struts would make them better suited for gaming and more appealing to gamers since they are typically not true model builders. I don't think he has acted on that advice though
    Vaclav is a good guy-he sent me a free replacement decal set after I'd messed up my first attempt at the Pup 'Chin-Chow;' with any luck at all, he'll think about including plastic struts as an option in the future. I don't really see PE working for the interwing struts on the upcoming Fokker Dr.1, so maybe he'll go this route sooner rather than later.

I don't know a whole lot about model design and casting and perhaps that will show in this post, but it seems to me it would be less expensive to do the Dr1 struts in plastic. Plus I believe the struts could be made more prototypical in plastic as opposed to the very thin metal of the PE material. But then I suppose we have to consider the crowd he is trying to reach with the kits he makes. It seems that the kits are targeting the model builder/collector, as opposed to the gamer. I see these as beautiful little kits, designed for the person that doesn't have the room for a collection of larger kits. It may be that the "gamer" wasn't even considered in the design decision. While I do agree with Darryl, I have to admit being surprised at just how sturdy the inter-wing struts are on the Nieuport models. It will be interesting to see how they hold up to gaming, and how long it will be before the first repair needs to be made.

Maybe if several of you guys also suggested to him that he needs to include plastic struts in the kits it would have more weight. I've never actually finished my 17s he gave me because of this. While I'm sure I can built them with the EP parts and that they would be find in a caring person's hands... 99.9% of my "playing" is running games at conventions where other, and mostly new, players are flying my planes. I don't think the PE built planes would hold up to that.

I have thought about just replacing them with round plastic rod or square sanded to more of and aerodynamic shape. Just not something I've had time to really consider what would need to be done to make it look at least halfway correct.

Name:	DSCF0399.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	136101
    That does look really nice! But you need to correct your white balance either in camera or in a program afterwards. I'm at work so I don't have access to my normal software, but here is a very quick WB adjustment that I did to one of your photos:

It's probably a little to blue-ish now and could use some tweaks to the exposure, but you can see how much getting the WB closer to correct helps out with showing the true colors.

Yes, I see what you mean. My editing software only has Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness. It is what came with my Fuji. Is one of those what I would use or am I looking at having to get a 3rd party software. I did edit the photos I posted and they look much better than they did straight off the mem card. Using the "Auto" function was terrible. It is a fairly good camera(I'm sure not by your standards) and does take some really nice photos, perhaps I just need to spend more time in the software experimenting. Would you recommend a inexpensive 3rd party program. I don't really take a lot of photos, or do much editing of them. Help?

Yes, I see what you mean. My editing software only has Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness. It is what came with my Fuji. Is one of those what I would use or am I looking at having to get a 3rd party software. I did edit the photos I posted and they look much better than they did straight off the mem card. Using the "Auto" function was terrible. It is a fairly good camera(I'm sure not by your standards) and does take some really nice photos, perhaps I just need to spend more time in the software experimenting. Would you recommend a inexpensive 3rd party program. I don't really take a lot of photos, or do much editing of them. Help?
    If you want to pay money, Photoshop Elements is pretty good. There are others out there but this is one that I use for quick touch-ups. I use the full version for serious work.

If you want 'free' then GIMP is very powerful, once you get your head around the 'quirky/different' user interface.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but when cutting the struts you want to cut them at the spew not the strut - thin using a pin make the wholes in the wings and body where they join and then bond I mounted them all on the top wing first then bonded the wing struts first and then using modeling needle nose pliers bent the fuselage struts into place and bonded using a pin to transfer the glue.

Just get GIMP for free and watch some Youtube vids on how to use it. The user interface leaves a lot to be desired, but it is very powerful and feature rich for a free program. Also, check the manual on your camera and see if it has a setting for White Balance (may also be called light source or something like that). Some even just have a little icon for different types of light bulbs.

Another free photo tool I like is Infranview.

Brilliant paint job and thanks to all for the hints on photo's, programmes etc.
    See you on the Dark Side......

[QUOTE=FarEast;295821]when cutting the struts you want to cut them at the spew not the strut

Good tip, that's what I do but failed to mention it

I mounted them all on the top wing first

This is what I did also, but at the fuselage used my home crafted styrene struts instead of the PE parts

Thanks for the photo tips and editing software advise. I was scanning my camera manual last night and have not yet found anything. But will keep looking, thanks. Will also take a look at the editing software you both have mentioned. I knew about GIMP, just didn't think about it when it counted. IIRC Maximum PC had a lot of good comments on it, but did also mention that the UI was kind of wonky. Anyway, thanks for the help, and all the nice comments about my bird.
    Last edited by prymus; 06-27-2014 at 14:13.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I'm very interested in these kits again. When the Pup came out I emailed Vaclav to ask if raised rib detail was possible. I see that kits from the SE5 onwards have that issue addressed. I've asked about the inclusion of plastic struts so we can have a faster build option while the model makers can use brass etch. I'm not sure what I'll do but I want to give these another go. I bought the pups but then sold them as I wasn't happy with the scribed ribs.

I have just finished the Pups after six months of shilly-shallying about.
    I will post pictures later today. The first one was a pig to do, but with the experience of one down, the second went together in an afternoon.
    Now I have the tricks to hand I would certainly do more Vallom if I needed them. They do look superb when finished, and the fact that they come with several sets of decals saves a lot of bother too. The decals are strong, easy to handle, and mold well around curves. My only wish is that they had a set for a complete Flight.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Rob, did you paint or part paint the model before assembling?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Rob, did you paint or part paint the model before assembling?
    No Tim. The only time I do that is if I am using sheet decals to camo the planes.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Rob. How did you do it – getting in under the cabine struts?

This technique may be of interest to some. I'm sure the same could be done with mounting board. Admittedly it's fiddly but then building 1/144 biplanes has only ever been fiddly!
    http://agapemodels.com/2008/04/16/te...ing-assembly2/

No special technique other than a steady hand, a very good light source, coming in from various directions, andpreparedness to re-touch parts you hit with a loaded brush. Oh! and being very short sighted helps!
    Rob.

I know this is really the Nieuport thread but here are the finished Pups.

Name:	DSC_5726.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	148900

Name:	DSC_5724.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	148901

Name:	DSC_5725.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	148903

Name:	DSC_5730.jpg 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	148904

Name:	DSC_5728.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	148902

Rob.

I am very impressed by the quality of Valom products, despite my misgivings about the strength of the spars for games play with children involved. I only felt it necessary to replace the cabine struts with something stronger and left the wing struts in the sheet brass.
    It seems just fine.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I just received my three Valom kits last week - the DVII, the Albatros DV, and the Nieuport 17. As mentioned above, they really are very nice kits. I am no big fan of photo-etched parts myself, but I'll give 'em a go and see how they work. I'm thinking of buying some appropriate thickness sheet plastic and using one set of PE struts as a template and trying some plastic struts, too...no idea how long they may have sat on a shelf somewhere, but there are no plastic struts included...

In any event, for $12-$15, it's a great way to get a couple of kits and extra decals to boot - each kit comes with 2 models and decals to build 4 different planes.
    I'm planning on using some of the DVII decals on Goering's DVII I just took apart this weekend.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Your Pups look great Rob, nice job. I had been contemplating getting a couple boxes. I have the Alb kits but have not made any decision on paint, so they sit. Have not been doing a lot on my WoG projects this month. Finding myself on a sci-fi painting binge, and Bolt Action terrain building. I am working on some beach/jungle boards and jungle scatter "clumps". Has been a lot of fun and a welcome break from my Jasta 12 project. Though I have been eyeing the planes in the last couple days. The jungle terrain can wait, though I've enjoyed working on it I have yet to assemble and paint any Marines or Japanese forces, so don't have anybody to fight over the new terrain yet.
    I think you'll enjoy your Valom Kits Matt. I've had a lot of fun with mine, and they have proven to be quite sturdy with a coat of paint to help a little. Enjoy.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Am I right in thinking the Pup, DVII and Albatros kits have scribed wing rib positions but the SE5 and Nieuport 17 have wing ribs depicted in relief?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Am I right in thinking the Pup, DVII and Albatros kits have scribed wing rib positions but the SE5 and Nieuport 17 have wing ribs depicted in relief?
    That is what I have read Tim, although having only the Pups I cannot confirm.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

It's odd isn't it – I can understand the Pup and the DVII being the first kits but isn't the Albatros the most recent. From the images I've seen the N17 looks the best kit so I don't see why he's gone back to scribing the position of the rib as it doesn't look as good.

I might have to ask Vaclav if he'll consider offering better wings for the early models as an accessory pack.

Similar Missions

1. Valom Nieuport 17
    By Burt in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 17:15
  2. Valom Pup on eBay
    By Coog in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 12:58
  3. Skytrex Nieuport 17 build Escadrille N3
    By somaliavet in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 6