Ares Games

Thread: AAR PTO---Mission 2---To Even the Odds

Post AAR PTO---Mission 2---To Even the Odds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raaf Hudson.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	135642

An RAAF Lockheed Hudson returning from a coastal reconnaissance radioed to the RAAF H.Q. at Milne Bay that they had observed Japanese Infantry disembarking from landing barges 80 miles North West of Milne Bay.

Name:	WW2 japanese INFANTRY landing craft new_guinea.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	135643

Circling to check the situation they watched as the Jap troops moved inland towards a narrow jungle track for which they plotted co ordinates.

Name:	WW2 Japanese infantry 2.jpg 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	135645

Name:	WW2 Japanese Infantry.jpg 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	135646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire in the Sky 001.JPG 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	135647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire in the Sky 002.JPG 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	135648

Immediately the C.O. of 77 Squadron alerted Flt Ltn Rodger "Rocky" Rhodes to take a Wingman & destroy or delay the advancing Japanese Troops so the Army garrison could prepare to defend the valuable Airfield.

Rhodes called Flt Sgt Barry McRae whose Kittyhawk was fueled & ready for takeoff as was his own P-40 painted with the familiar Shark mouth. Both Aircraft carried the White painted tail assembly to avoid any possibility of receiving friendly fire which thay had attracted when they first flew over Milne Bay.

Name:	WW2 RAAF P-40 white tail.jpg 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	135649

The two Australian Pilots flew towards the ordinates given by the Hudson & soon they picked up the Jungle Track & they could see 3 separate groups of Jap soldiers moving along the track but worse they saw in the far distance two Jap Aircraft coming from the opposite direction no doubt sent to give air cover to the troops.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 003.JPG 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	135650

Rocky radioed to his wingman "Bazza concentrate on those bloody Nips! We should hit the first column well before the bloody Jap Air Force arrives!"
    Rocky homed in on the first lot of Infantry & opened fire as McRae closed in from the Port side.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 004.JPG 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	135651

Rocky could see his 50 cal shots knocking down Japs but in return had some well aimed small arms fire hit his plane.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 005.JPG 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	135652

McRae now also turned in to attack & decimated the remaining Jap soldiers.

"Well done Baz!" Rocky radioed "That'll teach 'em!" However both Aussie Aircraft received hits before the last Japanese soldier fell.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 006.JPG 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	135653

In the meantime the two Jap aircraft continued to close rapidly.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 007.JPG 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	135654

The last shots from the ground had caused Rocky's P-40 to commence smoking but a check of the controls showed nothing apparently important had been hit but he kept an eye on the engine temperature.

The speed of the two groups of Aircraft meant they met very close to the next group of Japanese troops & soon a real fuselage of machinegun fire erupted. Rocky choose to shoot at the Zero which had made directly for him whilst McRae concentrated on the ground troops & ignored the Jap fighter shooting at him.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 009.JPG 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	135655

To Rocky's horror the Jap fighters bullets caused McRae's Kittyhawk to explode & crash into the Jungle a burning wreck!
    "Ch***t!" Swore Rocky "Poor bloody McRae, no chance of surviveing that!"

Name:	Fire in the Sky 010.JPG 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	135656

NOTE!: The damage tokens near the Jap plane is damage to the ground troops!

Whilst Rocky took serious damage from the cannon of the Zero his return shots disabled the Zero's engine & caused it to crash into the Jungle on the far side of the track ( I was using Zoe's 12 damage points for the early M2 model with no other modifications)

Name:	Fire in the Sky 011.JPG 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	135657

As Rocky flew around the end of the troop column they fired at him but missed.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 012.JPG 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	135658

Rocky how pushed the throttle wide open to give himself some space from the last Jap aircraft & to vector in on the third column of troops. He knew his fighter was badly damaged but he had to try & destroy this column which was the closest to his base. Nothing else mattered!

Name:	Fire in the Sky 013.JPG 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	135659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire in the Sky 014.JPG 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	135660

He fired his guns at close range & was gratified to see the column disintegrate as he must have hit an ammunition storage box being carried by two of the troops. "Scratch those little B's" thought Rocky but his satisfaction was short lived as a combination of ground fire & shots from the Japanese fighter finally caused his Kittyhawk to spiral towards the Jungle but he opened the canopy, rolled out & floated towards the ground. If he was lucky he would be found by some of the friendly Papuan "fuzzy wazzys" taken to the coast & returned to his base by Canoe!

Name:	Fire in the Sky 015.JPG 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	135661

The Butchers Bill

Name:	Fire in the Sky 016.JPG 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	135663

Flt Ltn "Rocky" Rhodes, Veteran, Ace, Always coming home.
    1 kill/Shot down/NML/
    Rolled 4+Ace 2+ Veteran 1 + ACH +3 =10
    (Flash not sure what this result will mean?)

Name:	Fire in the Sky 018.JPG 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	135664

Flight Sgt Barry McRae
    Shot down/Explosion
    Rolled 2 - 1 Explosion =1 = K.I.A.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 019.JPG 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	135665

Japanese Zero
    Shot down/No Mans Land
    Rolled 3 = K.I.A.

Name:	Fire in the Sky 017.JPG 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	135666

Kawasaki Fighter
    Eiji Bando
    RTB/1 Kill/no damage points

Name:	Fire in the Sky 022.JPG 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	135667

Jap Column One
    Destroyed---14 P0ints

Name:	Fire in the Sky 021.JPG 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	135668

Jap Column Two
    Heavily damaged---8 Points

Name:	Fire in the Sky 020.JPG 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	135669

Jap Column Three
    Destroyed---12 points

Overview:

2 Jap Columns Destroyed
    1 Jap Column 2/3 Destroyed
    1 Jap Aircraft Destroyed
    1 Jap Aircraft RTB

2 Australian Aircraft Destroyed
    1 Pilot KIA
    1 Pilot Bailed out, presumed returns to base safely (?)

Narrow Victory to Japanese Forces.

Rolled for replacement Aussie Pilot
    Rolled 4 = Standard
    Flt Sgt Andrew "Mac" McFarlane
    Last edited by gully_raker; 06-18-2014 at 23:21.

Cripes mate, high cost but the boys got the job done & those fellas won't be troubling anyone any time soon ! Great AAR for some gritty action

Good mission Baz.
    The terrain looked very smart and set the scene.
    I would have said that as the Aussies completed the mission, they should have a winning draw.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yeah, I'd say that was a narrow win for your chaps Baz - you stopped the infantry cold, achieving your mission - the Jap air cover failed to defend them so failed theirs. By my reckoning the surviving pilot went home in disgrace and probably topped himself !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yeah, I'd say that was a narrow win for your chaps Baz - you stopped the infantry cold, achieving your mission - the Jap air cover failed to defend them so failed theirs. By my reckoning the surviving pilot went home in disgrace and probably topped himself !
    Yes the old Samurai Code strikes again!

Dave do you agree that Rocky makes it back home O.K. as I was not sure how that would have played out under the Rules?

Excellent AAR, Baz!
    The P-40's gave it a good run.
    And the repaints are awesome.

Baz how I missed this I don't know. Great AAR.

In future do you want me to roll results? If not NP. Just makes book keeping easier my end.

Now to catch up on awards.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Baz how I missed this I don't know. Great AAR.

In future do you want me to roll results? If not NP. Just makes book keeping easier my end.

Now to catch up on awards.
    I am happy to roll as I have a D12 & Flash's list of modifiers unless you would prefer to control this side of things. (?)

Let me know what you wish.

It's whatever the players wish. But if you want some after AAR postscripts it makes it easier for me.

Thumbs up

It's whatever the players wish. But if you want some after AAR postscripts it makes it easier for me.
    How could I refuse your wonderful postscripts?
    The Job is all yours, thank you Neil.

Thank you for your confidence. I will try to do my best in true 'Digger' style. Or American as you are playing with both.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    How could I refuse your wonderful postscripts?
    The Job is all yours, thank you Neil.

Love the intro pics and scenery Baz :thumbsup . Shame about the outcome, Cannot afford to loose good pilots this early in the campaign

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Flt Ltn "Rocky" Rhodes lived up to his nick name. "Damn", he shouted as he bounced off another rock. His parachute had tangled in a tree and as he had pulled the lines to free it, it had ripped and plummeted him to the ground. Where he unceremoniously bounced off three rather large rocks before coming to a stop with a softer thud. "What is that Drongo smell?" he exclaimed. Then he put his right hand into something soft and clammy hot. "OH, bloody hell, I'm in a pile of buffalo turds!" Standing up and flicking his hand to one side to get rid of some of the offending brown substance did not improve his mood one little bit. "Oh for all the Shiela's in Darwin, first the Japs, now Buffalo crap and to cap it all I'm on the wrong side of nowhere and up a bloody gum tree to boot.

'Rocky' slowly turned as he knew someone was behind him. There not four feet away was the biggest meanest looking buffalo he'd ever laid eyes on. He needn't have worried though as just as he was about to reach for his gun (later he realised that would only have p@~~ed the Buffalo off more than do it any harm) a small boy stepped out from beside the Buffalo and smiled.

2 days later, after a long journey, he was back in Port Moresby. Wandering into the nearest Police Station so he could make an important phone call, he was surprised at some of the comments from the local's.....

"Ok Blue, Ok, I've been light on up the scrubs back of the black stump where do you think I've been? Noodling? Now where can I get a bath, a tinny and a Shiela, not in that order and after I've let me Boss know there's a load of Jappo's comin' up the Uhlu in the direction of here!"

To say Rocky's CO was glad to have him back was a bit of an understatement but the locals were glad to get shot of him...and his up country odor.

Flt Ltn "Rocky" Rhodes
    rolled 6 +1 (ACE) = 7 (Hi Ma I'm home)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4615762/

Thumbs up

Flt Ltn "Rocky" Rhodes lived up to his nick name. "Damn", he shouted as he bounced off another rock. His parachute had tangled in a tree and as he had pulled the lines to free it, it had ripped and plummeted him to the ground. Where he unceremoniously bounced off three rather large rocks before coming to a stop with a softer thud. "What is that Drongo smell?" he exclaimed. Then he put his right hand into something soft and clammy hot. "OH, bloody hell, I'm in a pile of buffalo turds!" Standing up and flicking his hand to one side to get rid of some of the offending brown substance did not improve his mood one little bit. "Oh for all the Shiela's in Darwin, first the Japs, now Buffalo crap and to cap it all I'm on the wrong side of nowhere and up a bloody gum tree to boot.

'Rocky' slowly turned as he knew someone was behind him. There not four feet away was the biggest meanest looking buffalo he'd ever laid eyes on. He needn't have worried though as just as he was about to reach for his gun (later he realised that would only have p@~~ed the Buffalo off more than do it any harm) a small boy stepped out from beside the Buffalo and smiled.

2 days later, after a long journey, he was back in Port Moresby. Wandering into the nearest Police Station so he could make an important phone call, he was surprised at some of the comments from the local's.....

"Ok Blue, Ok, I've been light on up the scrubs back of the black stump where do you think I've been? Noodling? Now where can I get a bath, a tinny and a Shiela, not in that order and after I've let me Boss know there's a load of Jappo's comin' up the Uhlu in the direction of here!"

To say Rocky's CO was glad to have him back was a bit of an understatement but the locals were glad to get shot of him...and his up country odor.

Flt Ltn "Rocky" Rhodes
    rolled 6 +1 (ACE) = 7 (Hi Ma I'm home)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4615762/

Going to give this one a go this week end

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Neil,
    That is an accolade of success that I could not better coming from the man himself.
    So I will reiterate it.

What an ace follow up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. BRF PTO - Scenario 2: To Even the Odds
    By Blackronin in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 10:04
  2. Third AAR Against all odds.
    By Antabires in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 06:45
  3. Odds & ends "D" deck maneuver cards
    By Ed2 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1