Ares Games

Thread: Wounded and Can / Cannot Shoot

Users Country Flag

Name
    Perry
    Sorties Flown

Default Wounded and Can / Cannot Shoot

Seems a bit odd in the RAP that a wounded single-engine pilot only has some restrictions imposed, but he still can shoot, whereas a wounded multi-engine pilot or observer cannot shoot at all. Does anyone follow this rule or is there a preferred house rule?

Two-seaters can be quite formidable in defence Perry so it is a mechanic that makes them a little more vulnerable. Not sure there is a preferred house rule but this is mine:

Wounded Pilot: In addition to the usual rules a pilot taking a wound will, in his whole next turn, fly the same manoeuvre that he was flying when he took the hit (eg if he was turning left he will play 3 left turns) and will be unable to shoot.
    He will begin the next turn with a straight and again will not be able to shoot but after that card he can play whatever card he likes & shoot as current restrictions allow. If he was wounded whilst playing a card that would make an illegal move when played three at a time then it is considered he has spun away from the battle out of control & come to in time to save his aircraft & get home. This is a house rule, it reflects the impact of taking a wound & getting it back together.

And if you want a more resilient observer you could always try this:
    Wounded Observer: - option for obs/recon/bomb missions:
    a. You knock him down for the remainder of the turn he is hit in
    b. He stays down the whole next turn
    c. He returns to action at the beginning of the next turn with these penalties applied.
    ie 4 move gun jam, can only fire at short range & not after steep moves.
    d. A second hit and observer is killed.

Potentially he can be out of action for quite a while which gives a little of that vulnerability - but can it be taken advantage of ?!
    Can certainly make a difference in a game !

"He is wise who watches"

An addition to my own solo campaign:

Wounded Pilot
    :/Wounded Observer: Draw a B deck damage card for the wound.

0 = 'mere scratch'.
    1 = 'hurt but can live with the pain', also miss 1 scenario.
    2 = 'that hurt', 4 move reload, no firing this turn. Miss 2 scenario's.
    3 = 'I'm going to black out', 4 move reload, fly next 3 cards same as last, loose 2 altitude levels, no firing after difficult maneuver. Miss 3 scenario's.
    4 = 'this is serious', 4 move reload, short range fire only, fly next 3 cards same as last, no firing after difficult maneuver. Miss 6 scenario's.
    5 = 'if I don't get home I'm a gonner', can't reload, no firing, loose 3 altitude levels, miss 12 scenarios.
    Explosion = 'this is it.................' KIA
    Wounded = draw 2 cards as 0-5 above.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I play that a wounded observer takes 4 turns to un-jam, and can never gain a +1 bonus on his shooting.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Perry
    Sorties Flown

Thx guys - I've got at least 2 of every miniature but never really used 2-seaters and bombers. However, I plan on starting a campaign now and would tend to agree that multi-crew aircraft are likely overpowered in this game. Will take your suggestions into account and develop an equitable system that will easily merge into my current house rules.

Quote Originally Posted by SHVAK View Post
    Seems a bit odd in the RAP that a wounded single-engine pilot only has some restrictions imposed, but he still can shoot, whereas a wounded multi-engine pilot or observer cannot shoot at all. Does anyone follow this rule or is there a preferred house rule?
    Surprisingly enough (as I often tinker with rules), I follow the official rules on this one. As Flash has pointed out two-seater planes are already very powerful.

I justify it to players by pointing out that a wounded pilot just has to move the rudder and joystick - an observer often had to get into extreme positions to effectively operate the gun. The ruling, also, reflects that the observer is more exposed than the pilot - so is more likely to be seriously wounded if hit.

Agree with both of you Nicola. It is far better to stick with the rules if you can find a logic to it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Now who did I shoot down?
    By andron234 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 15:43
  2. B-24 Shoot down
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 17:55
  3. Pilot/Observer Wounded
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14